Newly diagnosed and terrified

Micheller

Hi there. I am new to this forum and I have just been diagnosed type 2 and to be honest I've descended into a bit of a spiral of panic. Being diagnosed just before the festive season is bad enough but my Dad is type 2 and has been in hospital over Christmas due his diabetes. I've seen what diabetes can do as my family is riddled with it so I am incredibly frightened. I am
furiously reading everything I can, I am testing twice a
day and I am on metformin 500mg twice daily. I have
even contemplated (for about 10seconds) getting some diabetic shoes, couldn't bring myself to do it. I am really.
Hoping that with the courses I have in the new year at
my local hospital and reading what you all have to say
that I can begin to calm down.
Thanks for listening to my paranoia :)
Michelle

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum :) Please don't be afraid - what happened to your Dad may not happen to you - everyone is different. I'm just sorry it had to spoil your Christmas. You will find it very helpful that you joined this forum. By getting good control of your diabetes you can help avoid the complications you have seen, although nothing is guaranteed. As for diabetic shoes, you may be able to avoid them if you take great care of your feet. You must however be very careful that your shoes don't rub or give you blisters, especially if you have lost feeling in your feet. I always wear trainers although I know they are not suitable for all occasions. Here is some information to help you. Ask as many questions on here as you need.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi, Michelle, and welcome :D

This is just a quick message to say please don't panic. There are lots of friendly and very helpful people on this forum who can give advice and guidance from their own personal experience of managing their own diabetes.

Please do read the advice Daisy has given you, and don't be afraid to come back with any questions you have, even if you think they are silly. There's no such thing as a silly question on this forum. We were all newbies once, frightened or in denial (that was me :shock: ), and we want to help if we can.

We are all different, and everyone's diabetes is different. I'm Type 2 (nearly 2 years now), and I eat very low carb (except at Christmas :oops: ) because it keeps my blood glucose (BG) low, and because I have a lot of weight to lose and a low-carb diet suits me. Other people manage on moderate carbs; others find they can eat everything but only in small portions. Some people manage on the NHS recommended diet, but others of us find that it just doesn't work for us.

Testing, as outlined in the info Daisy gave you, is very important while you're working out what you can and can't eat. I hope your GP has given you a blood glucose meter and strips on prescription? If not, say you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes, and ask!

You don't say whether you have any symptoms of diabetes. Why did you consider diabetic shoes, for instance? Have you lost feeling in your feet, or are they painful? If you've been caught early it may well be possible to avoid any diabetic complications - or at the very least put them off for a long, long time. The treatments are getting better all the time, and there's a great deal of information out there. The more you can learn, the better control you will have.

Being a newbie is very frightening, and can be very overwhelming too - so much to learn, and some of it contradictory. You're among friends here, and you'll get lots of support and help while you get used to the idea. There IS life after diabetes, and it needn't be restricting if you manage it right, so please cheer up a bit, and enjoy your New Year :p .

Viv 8)

I hope your Dad's okay now. Who knows, you may soon be able to give him some advice. If he'll take it - I know what Dads are like :wink: .

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Michelle

I can understand your worries as you have experienced DB within your family. I think the level of understanding and medication available for our generation makes the risk of DB complications much less than for our parents as long as you measure, which you do, and react where needed. If you keep your BS sensibly low then you may never suffer from the effects of neuropathy and so on. Do keep the carbs down where needed and your measurements will guide you on this. Just measuring once a day 2 hours after a meal should be fine as you get to know what affects you most. You may or not need to go onto additional meds as I have done over the years but it's not necessarily a problem; hasn't been for me anyway. BTW I've now had my DB for 7 years and the nerves in my feet remain good so hopefully you can forget about DB shoes. Your GP will check your feet annually and also you are entitled to a retinal scan once a year to check for eye damage; mine remain fine. Just keep testing and discuss your annual HbA1c blood test with your GP.

Micheller

Thank you so much for all your replies. It's taking a while to sink in and the panic to subside. I am trying really hard to be proactive which is why I bought a meter etc, I live in the Channel Islands and so the medical provision is very different from that of the UK. All healthcare is private with the exception of some bits and bobs. I will be seeing my doctor in the New Year and will ask then about test strips on prescription, I'm sure my Dad gets them that way.
With regards to family history and symptoms, my Grandad, Great Aunt, and Uncles are all diabetic so a good strong genetic link :|
I have an under active thyroid so I have regular blood tests and that's how it was picked up, my fasting level was 8.2 so then my doctor put me straight onto tablets. I also really need to lose a considerable amount of weight, so fingers crossed things will get better once I start dieting. I was on the dukin diet which was great but it raised my cholesterol (can't win eh !!).
I've not had problems with my feet but I do now have an excuse for regular pedicures :D
When I look through read through the forum I realise how many symptoms I did have, thirst, frequent urination, extreme tiredness, weight gain, mega itchy back, sugar/carb cravings.
Anyway I am now going to make 2012 the year I get my life and health back on track.

Anyone know of a really good diet book to help me ??

Michelle
Xx

Suewed72

New to diabetes

Im new to diabetes to was diagnosed before xmas,i've put of dealing with it yet but forum has been a great help.hope you dont get into to much of a state im sure all will be ok

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Have a look at the Low-Carb Diet thread on the Food and Nutrition forum on the Board Index. The diet that I use is a slightly altered version of Atkins Induction Phase, and is a sticky thread called Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. Have a look at it.

I try to eat about 25g to 30g of carb a day (except at Christmas! :oops: ) but this is extremely low. I have a lot of weight still to lose and this diet works well for me on that, keeps my BGs close to non-diabetic levels, and suits me. I've lost 60lbs in the last 18 months.

You need to decide what level of carbs you need to eat (by testing as described in Daisy's info). If you decide my diet is too low carb - use the food lists as the basic and add on more carbs through adding Low GI food to your diet. You'll need a carb counter book to help you with this, and you have to get used to reading labels. "Total carbohydrate" content is what you're looking for.

As you up the carbs, drop the fat content a bit. But there is no need to be frightened of natural fats.

You mentioned cholesterol. I used this diet for 18 months from 2004, and my cholesterol was the best it's ever been. Even now, it's considered slightly too high for a diabetic (5.4), but I'm happy with it and so is my doctor. Sometimes when you go on a low carb diet and start burning your own body fat, your cholesterol can rise a little at the beginning but then should drop satisfactorily.

As I say, this diet works for me. There are lots of other ways of eating that will keep you BGs low and help you lose weight - have a read around of other people's experiences. Grazer, for instance, keeps good control of his BGs on 100g to 150g of carb a day. Other people, eg Sid Bonkers, find they can eat everything but in small portions.

Exercise is useful but it doesn't need to be sweaty at the gym :shock: . A 20-minute walk every day will tone up your muscles, improve your circulation and make you feel better. Swimming is good too, or cycling.

You sound a lot more cheerful in your last post - I'm glad :D . Don't let it get to you :wink:

Viv 8)

Grazer

Hi Michelle! I see your fasting BG on diagnosis was 8.2 - that's really not too bad at all, so your diabetes was caught early, which is great news. My HbA1c ( 3 month'ish average) was higher than that! My type 2 diabetic friend had a fasting BG of 14 on diagnosis, and he's well under control now on diet and exerciser alone. So don't worry; follow the dietary advice you've already been given and you'll be fine. By the way, what are diabetic shoes? Ones with insulin resistance that can't eat chocolate? :lol:
Have a happy new year

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grazer should know that diabetic shoes are the ones next to the diabetic socks in the clinic :!:
CAROL

James123a

HI Michelle, I too have recently been diagnosed and panic is the first reaction for sure. But I have been about 3 stone overweight now for some years...so the positive I'm taking out of it, is I'll lose the flab...and I'll in general be much healthier...the choice is out of the equation now, well not completely, sure the odd naughty food type is acceptable.
I too am on the 500mg tabs and having seriously adjusted my diet over the last week or so I already feel better and more positive. Eating way more fruit and veg than I used too...and paying attention to packets.

O and I got a tip in another section of this forum for brekkie...try Lizzy's Granola mixed with as much Total 0% as you like......it's not as nice as crunchy nut cornflakes with lashings of milk...but it's not too bad.....I've been having that the last few days and also having mid morning snacks of fruit and mixed nuts and or mixed seeds...the good food company make a nice roasted seed selection...all available from Tesco.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
James123a said:
HI Michelle, I too have recently been diagnosed and panic is the first reaction for sure. But I have been about 3 stone overweight now for some years...so the positive I'm taking out of it, is I'll lose the flab...and I'll in general be much healthier...the choice is out of the equation now, well not completely, sure the odd naughty food type is acceptable.
I too am on the 500mg tabs and having seriously adjusted my diet over the last week or so I already feel better and more positive. Eating way more fruit and veg than I used too...and paying attention to packets.

What you said James is so very true. Since I was diagnosed I have turned by life around.

I know, and other people have commented too, that diabetes was the best thing that could have happened to me. The amount of diets I have been on over the years (I know all of them so well that I could write a book) but I just couldn't stick to them. The difference with DB is that you have to stick to it to prevent complications in the future and the new eating regime has to be sustainable. I have lost weight, I am eating much more healthily, I feel much better and fitter, my cholesterol has lowered, I am fitting into clothes that I had only dreamed of wearing.... the list goes on and on.

It is scary on first being diagnosed but once it sinks in and you make changes to your lifestyle and treat it with a positive approach the advantages outweigh everything else-except not being able to eat chocolate in abundance :lol:

I am loving all the comments (especially from people who don't know about my DB) about how well I am looking :D

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I agree with the above! I have lost just over 2 and a half stones. I love getting compliments, it has given me more confidence and opportunity. There is a prejudice against big people at job interviews so now I have a better chance of getting a job and really turning everything around for the better.

Micheller

I too now think that this will be the making of me as I've seen what mis-management and denial can do first hand. I think the hardest thing is just getting my head round what I can and can't eat, once I'm back at work after the Xmas break I can really focus on it. I have considerably more than 3stone to lose but plenty of clothes waiting to be worn to spur me on. All in all I am much calmer now after all of your kind and sensible words.

Happy New Year and speak to you all again in 2012 :wave:

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
How lovely to read the difference between your first post and last. From Panic stricken to Positive
Good Luck, wishing you all the best for your healthy future :thumbup: