Newly diagnosed and very scared!!

rebecca21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, my name is Becky and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last Thursday. It came as a massive massive shock and at first I was in denial, didn't believe it at all... but after a visit to the doctors and speaking to the diabetic nurse it became very real. I'm so scared because I'm so confused about what I can and can't eat, and I feel very low and depressed because I feel like nobody around me understands how I feel about this diagnosis. Did anyone else feel like this?

Reactions: AFoxy74 and Freema

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @rebecca21

Yes we all felt that way to a greater or lesser degree. But don't panic it gets easier.

Start by having a read around the forums and catch your breath. Ask questions - we love to help.

@daisy1 may be able to give you our starter pack next time she's online.

Reactions: Ultramum and Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Rebecca and welcome,

Oh yes, we all felt that way when first diagnosed. It is normal, but you have done the right thing looking round for information and help, and this forum is the very best place to find out all you need to know. Everyone on here is a diabetic of one sort or another, so who better to ask questions of?

Have a good read round then ask questions. Meanwhile I'll tag @daisy1 who will post some very useful information given to all newcomers. Please have a good read of it and follow the links she gives.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Becky and welcome. There are some lovely helpful people on here, we're all diabetic like you and were all in your position at one point.
When daisy posts the welcome email, have a good look through, there are very handy links and very useful information.
Any questions, just ask and we'll all help if we can.
Did your nurse give you any information at all about your levels ? and any medication ?

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@rebecca21 Welcome Becky.. pretty much everyone here felt just the same at first, it seems overwhelming. It took me a few weeks to get my head around things. Do have a good read of @daisy1 's post and around the forums. there are lots of ideas food wise too and loads of friendly people who do understand and are willing to answer any questions you have. I followed the advice from my nurse regarding food initially. Many diabetics find that a LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet works for them. Take things one step at a time and try not to be hard on yourself.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my name is Becky and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last Thursday. It came as a massive massive shock and at first I was in denial, didn't believe it at all... but after a visit to the doctors and speaking to the diabetic nurse it became very real. I'm so scared because I'm so confused about what I can and can't eat, and I feel very low and depressed because I feel like nobody around me understands how I feel about this diagnosis. Did anyone else feel like this?
I felt just the same. It came as a bolt from the blue and took a few weeks to get over the initial shock. I was fortunate in that my GP pointed me to this site and it's been of far greater use than anything the NHS has provided.
First of all don't be scared because you can manage the condition rather than letting it manage you, and it isn't really all that difficult once you get a grasp of diet. In fact in some ways it can be quite enjoyable as a diabetic diet is is a very healthy diet. Don't get the idea that you have to make major changes tomorrow, but start the changes gradually. @daisy1 will pop up with some very useful advice for you. An obvious and easy start to diet is to cut out refined sugars and then you can move on to reducing carbohydrates which are just as 'bad' as sugars but are a bit more difficult to get your head around.
A good book to get hold of which will help you understand the D condition andhow to manage it is Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavin. The first chapter - " First of all: Do not worry, take control." is a great prelude to some very useful information.

Hang on in here. You'll get loads of support!

Dave

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that many people are a bit bemused when they learn they have type 2 diabetes. What should you eat? You need to avoid foods high in sugar such as breakfast cereals and orange juice. Also reduce or avoid foods high in carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. The good news is that eating food containing fat is OK such as butter, cream, cheese, avacodos, nuts.

The Low Carb High Fat diet seems to work well for people with type 2 diabetes. For recipes see dietdoctor.com. It also seems to be very helpful for losing weight. The second thing you need to do is get a blood glucose meter to measure your blood sugar. Then you can tell which foods spike your blood sugar. You should find that your blood sugars reduce to normal levels in a few months if you eat a low carb diet. My blood glucose was 13 last October and now it is around 6.3. For type 2 the desired range is 4 to 7.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @rebecca21 !

I think understanding ur disease ll help u to calm down a bit. If u dont know what u can eat, then take a look at nutrition charts that show carbs. Having low carb foods ll help ur BG to normalize. Also i would suggest u check glycemic indexes as well. Foods with low glycemic indexes r better, but u have to experiment with it, coz everyones different. Check ur BG often for now to see what works for u, u ll see how u react to different foods. Once u learn it its easy. :)
Diabetes can be depressing, but dont worry we all know it. U have to learn how to live with it, but diabetes wont stop u from nothing ! :) Good luck and if u have any questions, this forum is a good place to share them. (;

Reactions: Ultramum

GeorgiyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't worry, you're not alone! I felt physically sick when I first found out - and then reading things about diabetes actually made me feel worse! Don't feel as bad about it now, though still wish I didn't have diabetes - also quite normal. You will get a lot of support here.

Reactions: Ultramum and AM1874

Maddiboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I feel the same finally got diagnosed on Tuesday so thanks for posting this as it's helping me too x

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum and AM1874

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much

Hello I feel the same finally got diagnosed on Tuesday so thanks for posting this as it's helping me too x

Hi @rebecca21 and @Maddiboo .. welcome
I was in exactly the same position as you guys when I was diagnosed T2 about 3 weeks ago .. shocked, worried and feeling lost. Since joining this forum, though, the folks here have given me so much info, advice and support that I am now much more confident about the journey ahead .. and actually beginning to consider myself a bit of an "old hand". Still early for me but, in my experience, it gets easier .. very quickly

As others have said, managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing - with or without medication - seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day, seems to be working .. I have lost a stone since my diagnosis on Feb 7th and my BG levels are down from 12.5 to around 6. There is a wealth of info about LCHF on the forum .. and a wealth of relevant advice and positive support.

Ifyou are planning to test your BG levels, this may be useful. I was given the website at: https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter and I ordered one which arrived a few days ago . While I was waiting for this I also found the website at: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free. I have been using both for comparative purposes since Feb 16th. In a recent email, I received details of a new T2 testing programme offer: https://www.type2testing.com .. another free meter. The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the three packages above. I don't know yet whether my Surgery will provide the strips etc on prescription .. but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them

You might also find the following post useful ...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/taking-the-driving-seat.116651/

Hope this helps

Last edited:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@rebecca21

Hello Becky and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new Members and I hope you will find it useful. This will help you get started on your diabetes care. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

fifibi

Oh my gosh I feel the exact same. i was diagnosed last week too.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all of you
My advice is do not panic. Do something simple like cutting out all or most sugary things. Then make a list of the foods you like. Start to look for substitutes for anything that might not be good for you. The only way you will work that out is to blood test before and after certain carbs. That will tell you what you cannot tolerate well.
You will find things like the Lidl high protein rolls a good substitute for bread. Check your food choices a lot have hidden sugar.
This is not a disease that happens quickly and will not kill you quickly.
Nuts are good. Pork scratchings.
There is a lot of info available on the diet doctor website , Tom Kerridges book is great for cutting out carbs.
Lots of forum members are on low carb high fat diets which may work for you. I cannot take metformin so have no choice in what I am going to have to do. Read lots on this forum and you will learn loads
Only diagnosed before xmas so still getting my head around it all.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @rebecca21

You've definitely come to the right place - you'll get lots of friendly help and advice, which hopefully will ease your fears and confusion.

Have a good read of the forums and ask as many questions as you like - many people on here have been able to control their diabetes by managing their diet and exercising so the condition does not have to control you.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first thing I did after being diagnosed with type 2 was to check the food labels on everything I was eating. I discovered what I though was healthy breakfast cereal (Jordan's Country Crisp) had 24% sugar. I discovered the Drink Me Chai Tea I was drinking every morning was mostly sugar. So I cut those out along with orange juice which has a lot of sugar.

After a bit more research I discovered Sarah Hallberg's video on reversing type 2 diabetes. This was a revelation. Watch it if you want a good understanding of how carbs, protein and fat are processed when you eat them.
I then understood that carbohydrates should be avoided and fat can be eaten to compensate for eating less carbs.

After this I started cutting out carbs as much as possible. More recently I discovered videos by Jason Fung and now I am doing some intermittent fasting to help burn off some of that excess fat around my liver and pancreas. See

Reactions: kokhongw