Newly diagnosed and very scared!!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Oh my gosh I feel the exact same. i was diagnosed last week too.

Hello @fifibi :). Just take each day in your stride and don't get stressed about it. Being stressed only serves to push up Blood Sugars. Click on the sites that other members have posted and have a good read. You might want to have a pen and notebook to hand to write things in it. You will get to grips with the Diabetes in your own time. Always check for hidden sugars on packaging etc.
And if you have any questions? =Just ask. There are loads of knowledgeable people on here and we are all here to help, advise and give support in whatever way we can:).

Reactions: Alison Campbell

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed, I wasn't really scared, but certainly shocked. Now the reason I wasn't scared was I had so little information that I had nothing to be scared of. But I was worried that I was told to change my eating habits, to those I'd had for the last forty years. But the I found the advice that is here, but backed up by other sources. And it gave me confidence that actually I can do something about it, in spite of the 'it's a progressive condition' I was told initially. And now my BG is down, weight is coming off, and I feel way better. And that's in 14 weeks. Different things work for different people, but be bold, and beat it!

Remedy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, my name is Becky and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last Thursday. It came as a massive massive shock and at first I was in denial, didn't believe it at all... but after a visit to the doctors and speaking to the diabetic nurse it became very real. I'm so scared because I'm so confused about what I can and can't eat, and I feel very low and depressed because I feel like nobody around me understands how I feel about this diagnosis. Did anyone else feel like this?

Hi Becky

Yes I felt the way you're feeling. I dug my head in the sand and didn't address my type 2, for some time. That was partly because I also was mixed up about what to eat and what not to.
I couldn't believe what was being said by the authorities.
After being around for awhile, I decided to work on the LCHF diet. That's low/carb, high/fat. It's truly something many diabetics would be lost without. I find it's the only thing to keep cravings away.
Best of luck and know that things can be managed.

rebecca21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for all the replies.. really helped! I'm on metformim twice a day, and I just wondered has anyone else been feeling really low and emotional since taking them?

JRF

Thankyou for all the replies.. really helped! I'm on metformim twice a day, and I just wondered has anyone else been feeling really low and emotional since taking them?
Hi Rebecca and welcome to the site. I was put on metformin but had to come off them after two weeks as I constantly had pains in my stomach and was being sick. I'm now on glucophage and to date have not had any side effects. You may just need to speak to your doc to get meds changed.

Reactions: Liam1955

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may not be the tablets, but a change in BG levels causing the changes. Metformin can have a few side effects including 'loose movements'. Still happens to me on the odd occasion, but rare enough not to worry me. I still wonder if its in combination with something I eat but not found a pattern yet.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Some people do not take to the Standard Metformin and suffer upset Stomach and/or Diarrhoea. Sometimes these problems cease as time passes, but if not then don't suffer. Go back to see your GP and/or Diabetes Nurse, as there is the Slow Release Metformin which can be prescribed for you and this is better tolerated.

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, my name is Becky and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last Thursday. It came as a massive massive shock and at first I was in denial, didn't believe it at all... but after a visit to the doctors and speaking to the diabetic nurse it became very real. I'm so scared because I'm so confused about what I can and can't eat, and I feel very low and depressed because I feel like nobody around me understands how I feel about this diagnosis. Did anyone else feel like this?