Newly diagnosed too.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My name is Brock, and was recent diagnosed as diabetic. It is being treated as type 1, though they're not completely sure about that.

Last week I wound-up in the hospital with complications do to diabetes. Prior to that I'd been to see my doctor the week before and we we're just starting the treating my diabetes. I'd started taking some pills, but last Saturday night I was feeling really lousy, so I went to emergency. It was discovered that I had really high blood sugar, so I was put on an insulin i.v., along with a saline on to help clean my system. I was than put in the CCU for a few days. As luck would have it one of my cities endocrinologist's was one the doctors manning the CCU, so she was able to see me first hand right there, I'll be seeing her in a follow up later this month. While in the hospital I received good care, and saw a number of people, like a nutritionist. Now that I'm out, I'm coordinating things through my family doctor, and will have a team in place.

Some aspects of this have been easy, like dealing with insulin. Others like daily testing, slightly more challenging. However, I'm currently living back at home, and my parents are helping to look after me. I'm eating nutritious, balanced meals and trying to take things easy. My work has been really supportive too, my boss is willing to give me a full month off. Initially I was reluctant to take this offer, but I think I will. I have a number of appointments a head of me, and tests to do. The time would give me an opportunity to get sorted and healthier before worrying about going back to work.

Lastly, I came across this community and it seems like a good place to share ideas, and get support. To be honest this whole process has been a bit overwhelming, and keeping my head above water is proving to be a challenge as well. Thanks for having me.

Reactions: pleinster

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi. Not much to say as I am not a Type 1 myself but I did want to welcome you to the site. I am certain you will find it extremely helpful. There is an awful lot of experience here. You will definitely get to grips with daily testing. I'd advise you look into diets with low carbohydrates as an emphasis (as many of us here keep out levels down through low carb diets or at least keeping them down a bit). It's great your employer is understanding but do be careful not to fall into being off so long you get stressed about going back. Anyway, I am sure you'll be in control of it all soon enough. I have tagged @daisy1 (who is amazing); she will be along with some very good information for you to take on board. Good luck.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Not much to say as I am not a Type 1 myself but I did want to welcome you to the site. I am certain you will find it extremely helpful. There is an awful lot of experience here. You will definitely get to grips with daily testing. I'd advise you look into diets with low carbohydrates as an emphasis (as many of us here keep out levels down through low carb diets or at least keeping them down a bit). It's great your employer is understanding but do be careful not to fall into being off so long you get stressed about going back. Anyway, I am sure you'll be in control of it all soon enough. I have tagged @daisy1 (who is amazing); she will be along with some very good information for you to take on board. Good luck.
Thanks for the response, nice to meet you. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions

Reactions: pleinster

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Ixarix

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ixarix

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Thanks for the information nice to meet you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome.

Did you have the GAD antibodies test and if so do you know whether it was positive or negative?
also the c-peptide test as that can show your levels of insulin and the GAD test isn't always conclusive but worth doing.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Be aware that nutritionists don't always understand what a balanced meal is. Even though you are on insulin and can therefore control your blood sugar, keeping the carbs down as needed will avoid weight gain.

lou258

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome from another recently diagnosed t1. I had 4 wks off and have now returned to work with a phased return. I’d take the break- Altho I mostly feel ok in myself now I still get tired very easily and work has been wiping me out even on reduced hours!

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome from another recently diagnosed t1. I had 4 wks off and have now returned to work with a phased return. I’d take the break- Altho I mostly feel ok in myself now I still get tired very easily and work has been wiping me out even on reduced hours!
At first I wasn't sure I'd need it but I think I do. It would give me time to get healthier, and more sorted.

Reactions: lou258

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Be aware that nutritionists don't always understand what a balanced meal is. Even though you are on insulin and can therefore control your blood sugar, keeping the carbs down as needed will avoid weight gain.
Actually I lost a lot of weight, I'm sort of don't want to lose anymore.