Newly diagnosed type 1, wanting to make friends!

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's lantus??

I had similar symptoms but was admitted to hospital with polydysia, polyuria and diabetes ketoneacidosis. Had sugar readings of 33.5 and extremely high levels of ketones. I was drinking and weeing loads, it was like a vicious circle at one point.

What is the honeymoon period exactly? I've heard of it but I'm not sure. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Sorry lantus is my long acting bedtime insulin

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I was also admitted to hospital with DKA
The honeymoon period is when you have started injecting insulin and this had in effect given your pancreas a break. This has allowed your own pancreas to start making a bit of insulin again. That helps get your bs levels lower. It is a double edged sword tho because it is unpredictable and sometimes will make insulin after you have injected resulting in hypos!!!
Nobody knows how long it lasts can be weeks months and in some cases even year's, or some people don't get it at all

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow really? Ok then. It's so confusing to me!! It's a lot to take in.

Were you in hospital long with DKA? Xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah it is all daunting at first. Try and just learn one new thing a day for now and you will get there
I was on a drip for 32 hours before I was out of DKA and in hospital for 3 days

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
We are having a type 1 meet up for the 1st time in London on Sat 25th April
I have found one of the best things about the DAFNE course was talking to others with type 1, it really helps

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was like me. I was on a drip for 48 hours and was in hospital for 4 days. I had low potassium levels too. It was scary. xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Yeah being in DKA and low pottasium goes hand in hand. The drip helps get the potassium levels stable again

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh really? That's great!! Would be good to meet others with type 1.

I've been told I can do the DAFNE course after 6 months. How do you find it cutting down the carbs? What sort of meals do you have? I've always been a massive carb lover so it's hard to adjust at the moment. Xxx

G

gemma6549

That was like me. I was on a drip for 48 hours and was in hospital for 4 days. I had low potassium levels too. It was scary. xxx

Since having diabetes I find carbs just make me irritable and very tired with low energy.

I generally stick to a low carb and low fat diet but still have the odd bits of chocolate or biscuits now and again.

As long as you cover the treats with insulin I personally don't see a problem. X

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since having diabetes I find carbs just make me irritable and very tired with low energy.

I generally stick to a low carb and low fat diet but still have the odd bits of chocolate or biscuits now and again.

As long as you cover the treats with insulin I personally don't see a problem. X

Thanks hun. The carbs are Prob what make me feel so lethargic too but I love them! Lol.. Never been one for diets/low Cals etc so this feels hard for me at the moment. Changing what I eat and replacing them for low fat stuff too. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
DAFNE is well worth your time, you will learn lots and get lots from it too
I was already watching my diet from a calorie point of view so it was just a case of changing my focus onto carbs instead.
I am still on a medium carb intake of around 150g a day. Lots of people on here are really low carbs on below 50g a day. Due to the honeymoon I am getting away with 150g but am consciously cutting down so when honeymoon stops I am ready for it!!!

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I dread to think what I have then!! - haha!!!

Any food tips or fav foods I could try? What's been the hardest part for you?? Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Cutting right down on my bread intake was the hardest, I used to love a sandwich!!!
Rice, pasta, bread, potato and pizza are all loaded with carbs. Cut your portion size down as a good starting point then go from there
Google cauliflower rice, thats a great alternative to white rice
Basmati rice is good as it is lower carb then white rice, still carby tho
More or less all breakfast cereals really spike my BS for some reason

G

gemma6549

Thanks hun. The carbs are Prob what make me feel so lethargic too but I love them! Lol.. Never been one for diets/low Cals etc so this feels hard for me at the moment. Changing what I eat and replacing them for low fat stuff too. Xxx

I loved carbs before too but if I ever have them now I instantly regret it because of how rubbish I feel, I guess that makes the change easier!

When I was on DAFNE I had the most strict diet out of everyone but they all had great control. Most of them had toast or cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and meat veg and potatoes or pasta for dinner.

My dad has been type 1 for 16 years and eats similarly to the above and has always had great control and no problems, so I guess it's just personal preference.

I developed an eating disorder a couple of years post diagnosis so my strict diet is more related to that than the diabetes.

I generally have soup for lunch and chicken and green vegetables for dinner, but that's my issues and not what I would recommend for others!!

You just have to find what works for you, there aren't such strict guidelines for type 1 as long as you cover it with insulin and keep sugar levels in a good range.

DAFNE is all about allowing you to eat whatever you like and how to cover it with insulin x

Reactions: 3 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
What works for you is the best diet to follow
Trial and error is the way with all of this, making good judgments based around good advice is important

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
See, I feel like I don't know what to eat. I usually have toast for breakie, but swapped that to cornflakes now. I cut the sugar out of my tea. I have crackerbread instead of normal bread. I'm trying to have more salad and fruit. Is pilau rice ok?

Do you give more insulin at breakfast then? Xxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
After diagnosis it can seem a struggle adjusting foods.

This can also impact on your mood... I cried myself to sleep for 6 weeks...but nowadays there's this forum... Which is reaching out and helping people to adjust.

I suspect that your dsn may well say that you should be able to eat anything providing your bolus is correct.... That will be pretty much true....

However, especially in early days the lower the amount of bread, pasta ir rice you eat (as a starting guide) the better...

I would also advise getting a set of electronic weighing scales for the kitchen.. So if you do eat pasta, rice etc that you can weigh it out accurately each time initially. You will learn say that 4 of your tablespoons of pasta would need 2 units of bolus insulin etc on a long term basis....

Initially just make sure you test pre meal and 2 hrs after a meal. Getting up, going to bed and also a test occasionally around 3am in the morning... Write down the food you eat and see what foods give you a rise or drop 2 hours after you inject bolus for them.

You will get there. Important to give yourself time and to not forget that diabetes lives with you.... You don't live with diabetes... You can still enjoy foods and living etc...

Reactions: 4 people

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I loved carbs before too but if I ever have them now I instantly regret it because of how rubbish I feel, I guess that makes the change easier!

When I was on DAFNE I had the most strict diet out of everyone but they all had great control. Most of them had toast or cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and meat veg and potatoes or pasta for dinner.

My dad has been type 1 for 16 years and eats similarly to the above and has always had great control and no problems, so I guess it's just personal preference.

I developed an eating disorder a couple of years post diagnosis so my strict diet is more related to that than the diabetes.

I generally have soup for lunch and chicken and green vegetables for dinner, but that's my issues and not what I would recommend for others!!

You just have to find what works for you, there aren't such strict guidelines for type 1 as long as you cover it with insulin and keep sugar levels in a good range.

DAFNE is all about allowing you to eat whatever you like and how to cover it with insulin x

Aww sorry to hear you developed an eating disorder. Can only imagine how much harder it must be for you. Xxx