NHS Dental treatment

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Doesn't matter which way you put it. Diabetics are at higher risk of tooth and gum problems, as well as infections. If any other group was at increaded risk compared to the general population, they should have special consideration too.
You are only at higher risk if you do not keep your blood sugars under control.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So for those who can't? What method do we have for distinguishing between the two? My sister is in a similar situation with her borderline celiac disease. She can't afford a special diet. Of course, all NHS treatment should be based solely on clinical need; and prescriptions should be free anyway.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to mention. I am the only one in the Men's diabetes support group I attend who has properly controlled BG.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So for those who can't? What method do we have for distinguishing between the two? My sister is in a similar situation with her borderline celiac disease. She can't afford a special diet. Of course, all NHS treatment should be based solely on clinical need; and prescriptions should be free anyway.
You can't be borderline coeliac, you either are or are not coeliac. Besides gluten free items are not free on prescription unless you have an exemption certificate.
Eating gluten free isn't any more expensive anyway as long as you don't buy the processed foods from the shops.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can't be borderline coeliac, you either are or are not coeliac. Besides gluten free items are not free on prescription unless you have an exemption certificate.
Eating gluten free isn't any more expensive anyway as long as you don't buy the processed foods from the shops.
She was recently diagnosed but was told that she does not qualify for a medical exemption certificate because the condition is not severe enough. What she has been told may or may not be true. I think she may well be going for processed foods though. It's a learning process like with diabetes.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
She was recently diagnosed but was told that she does not qualify for a medical exemption certificate because the condition is not severe enough. What she has been told may or may not be true. I think she may well be going for processed foods though. It's a learning process like with diabetes.
If your sister has an exemption certificate either due to other medical conditions or low income and she has been diagnosed as Coeliac and not intolerance then yes she can get some bread or pasta and flour. Having Coeliac disease does not qualify for an exemption certificate though. This doesn't stop her having the goods prescribed and paying the prescription cost if diagnosed.

Gluten free cakes are easy enough to make with ground almonds and a lot cheaper than shop bought stuff :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your sister has an exemption certificate either due to other medical conditions or low income and she has been diagnosed as Coeliac and not intolerance then yes she can get some bread or pasta and flour. Having Coeliac disease does not qualify for an exemption certificate though. This doesn't stop her having the goods prescribed and paying the prescription cost if diagnosed.

Gluten free cakes are easy enough to make with ground almonds and a lot cheaper than shop bought stuff :)
I just checked the NHS page and couldn't find it listed. It could be that the GP has not explained this sufficiently, or that she has not understood. I have just texted her to double check what her position is. Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just checked the NHS page and couldn't find it listed. It could be that the GP has not explained this sufficiently, or that she has not understood. I have just texted her to double check what her position is. Thanks
You are more than welcome :)