Nighttime Hypo’s

Claire.hw93

I have been suffering from nighttime hypo’s a lot more than I’d like over the past few weeks. My diabetes teams switched me on to Triseba so see if it helped at all keep my BG more level instead of Levemir (the nighttime insulin, as low as the dosage was, was still sending my body into hypo’s). Been on Triseba 6 days and 3 of those nights I’ve had hypo’s but NOT WOKEN UP!! This is the exact problem I was having with Levemir.

The biggest kicker is that my libre 2 sensor is meant to monitor it over night and if it knows my blood sugars is decreasing then my phone SHOULD send me an alarm if the BG hits 4.5mmol or lower. It’s done it before but now suddenly isn’t. Anyone know how to fix this? Do I need to get an updated phone? (Currently have iPhone 7 Plus so you would think there was nothing wrong with it).
Why wouldn’t my phone be sending me alarms?
And how do others solve the night time hypo’s if they don’t wake from it?

Thank you in advance

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs

It's a question of how low you go. In theory, as soon as you go hypo, your pancreas sends glucogen to your liver, which then sends out glycogen (sugar). So most people recover from night hypos and may not realise thay've had one, though they might have a headache in the morning.

Also, remember that the libre is notorious for under reading at night, so once you get the alarms working again, I'd suggest you test with a glucometer to see how low you actually are.

As for the alarms, have you double checked the settings to see if you've accidentally turned them off? Not a libre user, so I can't help much more than that, and to say google is probably your friend where technological trouble shooting is concerned. (Or if you're really really desperate, phone Abbott).

Good luck.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have been suffering from nighttime hypo’s a lot more than I’d like over the past few weeks. My diabetes teams switched me on to Triseba so see if it helped at all keep my BG more level instead of Levemir (the nighttime insulin, as low as the dosage was, was still sending my body into hypo’s). Been on Triseba 6 days and 3 of those nights I’ve had hypo’s but NOT WOKEN UP!! This is the exact problem I was having with Levemir.

The biggest kicker is that my libre 2 sensor is meant to monitor it over night and if it knows my blood sugars is decreasing then my phone SHOULD send me an alarm if the BG hits 4.5mmol or lower. It’s done it before but now suddenly isn’t. Anyone know how to fix this? Do I need to get an updated phone? (Currently have iPhone 7 Plus so you would think there was nothing wrong with it).
Why wouldn’t my phone be sending me alarms?

Thank you in advance
You need to set alarms to finger prink at the times the Libre is recording lows. What dose Levemir were you on?

Claire.hw93

You need to set alarms to finger prink at the times the Libre is recording lows. What dose Levemir were you on?

I was on 20 units in the day and then 5 units at night. But for the past 6 days I have been on 22 units Tresiba.
Just had a phonecall with my diabetes nurse and she has suggested that I decrease it as I might be on too much Tresiba. Just wishing there was a proper calculation to use to know what you should be on. Because “trial and error” is causing “loss of sleep” because I’m too worried to sleep whilst in a hypo.
There are a lot of time where I’ll feel like I have a BG of 7 in the morning, not 3.8 like it shows. I have also compared to my manual finger prick and it has said 4.8mmol instead of 4.2mmol that the app says. So in that respect it seems there isn’t much discrepancy between the two. But I will need to persist at night I think in terms of checking glucose finger prick as well as the app. Didn’t know that it was so renowned for under reading

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I was on 20 units in the day and then 5 units at night. But for the past 6 days I have been on 22 units Tresiba.
Just had a phonecall with my diabetes nurse and she has suggested that I decrease it as I might be on too much Tresiba. Just wishing there was a proper calculation to use to know what you should be on. Because “trial and error” is causing “loss of sleep” because I’m too worried to sleep whilst in a hypo.
There are a lot of time where I’ll feel like I have a BG of 7 in the morning, not 3.8 like it shows. I have also compared to my manual finger prick and it has said 4.8mmol instead of 4.2mmol that the app says. So in that respect it seems there isn’t much discrepancy between the two. But I will need to persist at night I think in terms of checking glucose finger prick as well as the app. Didn’t know that it was so renowned for under reading
Remember Tresiba lasts for up to 42 hours so it will take time to get the effects of reducing your dose. It's great you are getting advice from your DN. Set your alarm to check with a finger prick if you are worried about going low until you have your dose figured out. I started on Levimeer with small and increased very slowly as I was scared of hypos.