No more diabetes

Paul_corker

Hi everyone I was told last year I had type 2 with a blood reading of 84 ( from an hba1c )
3 months later I had it down to 39 then another 3momths down to 37 also I lost 4 1/2 stone once 5 months I have no had two more readings 1every 3 months of 37 and now 36
I have also recently had a glucose tolerance test which came back excellent I want to get the initial diagnosis removed has anyone achieved this if so how do I get it done
Many thanks
Paul

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask why you want it removed? It seems you were a diabetic.

I'm pretty much in the same place and will always think of myself as a diabetic.

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone posted on this forum earlier this summer that she/he had her diagnosis marked as a lab error, but it had involved a lot of communication between her GP and the lab.

Have you changed your diet at all since your diagnosis, and were you on any diabetes medication?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on getting your HbA1c down to the non diabetic range. My last HbA1c was also 36 but like @hankjam I still consider myself diabetic. If I reverted to my old eating pattern my HbA1c would rise again. Are you saying you could eat fish and chips say, and you wouldn’t score abnormally high blood sugar readings post prandially. I doubt it somehow.

EDIT Just thought, did you have two HbA1c readings initially to confirm your diagnosis? I did, my GP said a diagnosis shouldn’t be made on a single test.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Excellent numbers, well done. I think the first step is to discuss this with your GP as she/he will, no doubt, know how to remove you from the register. However, I do think it wise to stay on the GPs radar to be tested every year but that is just my own personal opinion. Good luck.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to get the initial diagnosis removed has anyone achieved this if so how do I get it done.

Do you think the initial diagnosis was in error? When I was diagnosed, that was one of my first thoughts and I asked the doctor. He said they first saw a very high reading on my regular (instantaneous) glucose test, and then they ran the HbA1C to confirm.

To my knowledge, you are "a person with diabetes" if you ever have a confirmed HbA1C reading equal to or above 6.5% (48). The diagnosis is permanent and correct, unless it was a lab error. But as long as you can keep your blood glucose levels in the non-diabetic range with good control over time, you are unlikely to suffer from the complications of the disease.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone I was told last year I had type 2 with a blood reading of 84 ( from an hba1c )
3 months later I had it down to 39 then another 3momths down to 37 also I lost 4 1/2 stone once 5 months I have no had two more readings 1every 3 months of 37 and now 36
I have also recently had a glucose tolerance test which came back excellent I want to get the initial diagnosis removed has anyone achieved this if so how do I get it done
Many thanks
Paul

Well done on your journey thus far, Paul.

Presently there appears to be no official, single view on how those having received a T2 diabetes diagnosis, who then revert to serial non-diabetic levels, with or without an OGTT should be viewed or classified.

Some Doctors feel strongly that "once a diabetic, always a diabetic", whereas others appear fairly keen to get folks off the diabetic register. Who is right in their stance? That very much depends whom you ask.

Personally, I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 73, then 4 months later 37, then down to 32, and since then (I've just passed my 4th diaversity) I have toggles between 31 and 33. I've never had an official OGTT, but have done one at home, which I passed, just for my own information.

During a lively debate with my GP she said to me, for what felt like the zillionth time, "Well all diabetics......", without reference to where my condition might be on the spectrum. Erm,... I had my grumpy face on by then. :(

My response was something like, "That's all very well, but when do I get some credit for my longer term control?"

That challenge seems to have been a bit of a pivotal point.

I have been off the surgery diabetes register for some time, but I still receive an annual HbA1c (which is sometimes more frequent, if the vampires are blood letting), my eyes are still scanned annually,I have always monitored my own weight and do my BP at home, and of course, I have access to my GP should I start to notice unfavourable changes in between.

I wasn't overly fussed about staying on or coming off the register, and indeed I would never have asked to be removed. All I wanted was to stop what felt like too many conversations using blanket terms.

The reality does seem to be that these things are done on a GP by GP basis. All very frustrating really.

Others on the forum have asked to be removed from their relevant register and been turned down flat.

Maybe this is something you can discuss with your Doc when you next see him/her, to gauge their view?

Good luck with it all.