yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I have the "hunter" gene. I am usually insulin resistant. If I hadn't developed reactive hypoglycemia this is no problem. Us people cut the hormones (probably the same ones found in the placenta) when necessary. We can live forever (not quite that long) on a hunter gatherer diet. I have lived on a low carb diet for over 12 years. How can I tell the low carb people that people like us exist? One weakness of our gene is that the women can not cut the hormones when they are pregnant since that would cut the hormones in the placenta and the fetus would die. They have gestational diabetes. As far as I can tell they are all (almost all?) the women who get gestational diabetes. Another (problem?) is since we do not usually bother to change sugar into fat and then fat into sugar we save a lot of energy. I have read that up to (usually less) 1/3 of the energy is lost when you do that. In the present society we tend to be fat. I have posted on the gestational diabetes form and a truncated version of that post seems to be left there for forever. I am now losing weight by removing a lot of fat from my diet. Do you suggest any other form?

Reactions: Freema

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is also a reactive hypoglycemia sub-forum, don`t know if that would help.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Good to see that you are back
Hi

On my weird diet (low carb). My fasting blood sugar is (U.S. units) 98 my A1C 5.5. My other blood readings very normal. I have written that over 12 years on a low carb diet indicates that humans do fine on a hunter gather diet.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
It may be interesting to note that Dr Richard Bernstein had been advocating low carb to manage diabetes for almost 40 years...and not many pay attention to him...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein

Or Dr Joseph Kraft...
Hi

That is interesting. Another doctor is now saying that diabetes can be cured by eating a low carb diet. One of them must be wrong. If my analysis is right people, with type 2 diabetes should have no problem (I am simulating same) with a low carb diet. I am now losing weight by cutting fats in my diet. I am fat, as are most, "hunter" gene people as they age.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
There is also a reactive hypoglycemia sub-forum, don`t know if that would help.
Hi

I am putting things in my subconscous. I depend on my subconscous a lot. It is amazing. That is how I figured out my theories.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

That is interesting. Another doctor is now saying that diabetes can be cured by eating a low carb diet. One of them must be wrong. If my analysis is right people, with type 2 diabetes should have no problem (I am simulating same) with a low carb diet. I am now losing weight by cutting fats in my diet. I am fat, as are most, "hunter" gene people as they age.

1. Dr Bernstein did not say that "diabetes can be cured by eating a low carb diet." But it can definitely be well managed...especially for Type 1. And if it is safe for Type 1 which is a life long condition...since he has been doing it for 30-40 years...and that it is also children safe...I figured that it is safe enough for me (a Type 2)...inspite of what ADA and all the other diabetes association claimed about the lack of long term safety studies.

2. For type 2 diabetes there is a chance of being "cured",but it has only been shown to be possible with bariatric surgery and the Newcastle protocol, a 8 week very low calorie diet.

3. Your idea of the hunter genes...is probably this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrifty_gene_hypothesis

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
1. Dr Bernstein did not say that "diabetes can be cured by eating a low carb diet." But it can definitely be well managed...especially for Type 1. And if it is safe for Type 1 which is a life long condition...since he has been doing it for 30-40 years...and that it is also children safe...I figured that it is safe enough for me (a Type 2)...inspite of what ADA and all the other diabetes association claimed about the lack of long term safety studies.

2. For type 2 diabetes there is a chance of being "cured",but it has only been shown to be possible with bariatric surgery and the Newcastle protocol, a 8 week very low calorie diet.

3. Your idea of the hunter genes...is probably this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrifty_gene_hypothesis

The link you provided has some interesting points that seem logical. The hypothesis put forward was in 1962, though, and while it merits bearing in mind, the science has moved on but not to the extent that a single gene or grouping of genes has been isolated as the cause of *any* type of Diabetes.
The OPs mantra re this theory or hypothesis has no standing until there is definitive evidence based proof. This proof of a direct genetic cause would first have to rule out other possible causes.

As the OP is of the opinion that an hypothesis alone is proof and that it is the cause of a single type of Diabetes smacks of each type having its own genetic nature/nurture cause. I'm afraid that the science of genetics is far from being the tool we would wish it to be.
Just beleiving something to be true does not make it so.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?

Hi

I meant what I said. Type 1 diabetes can not be managed with a low carb diet alone. You need insulin to process protein. If you do not have insulin you will have a build up of ammonia. Enough of this is deadly.
Assuming my theories are right. I advertise thru google in the U.S. and India. I get about 70 new people every day. Of those probably 40 look a significant time at my web site. I ask for feedback and have 3 methods of giving same. I allow autonomous feedback. Mostly silence. I assume if someone thought I was wrong they would tell me. The 3 actual feedback's about the accuracy of my theories were as I indicated awe.
I found a doctor who purposed that you can reverse type 2 diabetes by eating a low carb diet. My response, very maybe. I also am a sample of 1 that proves that you can stay on a low carb diet indefinitely if you have type 2 diabetes since you will not necessarily lose weight and my heath (ignoring the cancers we are all pron to as we age) is improved. I know about the thrifty gene theory and do other people on this site. They said my theory sounded like the thrifty gene. I have written that it is different then the type of changes (paraphrase) described by the doctor who originally gave this theory but.... Since there is so much energy lost in changing sugar into fat and then back to sugar my method of sugar processing is much more energy efficient.
It sounds like you do not know why most people lose weight on a low carb diet. With a low carb diet if you are not a type 2 diabetic and/or have the "hunter" gene you lose weight. This happens because you produce insulin to process protein. When insulin gets in the blood it does not know if it is there for protein or sugar. You start to change sugar into fat even though your blood sugar is not high. I speculate that all humans have hormones which we can produce when necessary to prevent very low blood sugar. You probably produce these hormones but do not stop your blood sugar from dropping. The body does not like low blood sugar so your liver changes fat into sugar. As I have indicated above, sugar into fat and then fat into sugar uses a lot of energy you lose weight. "Normal" people would starve on a low carb diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi

I meant what I said. Type 1 diabetes can not be managed with a locarbohydrate diet alone. You need insulin to process protein. If you do not have insulin you will have a build up of ammonia. Enough of this is deadly.
Assuming my theories are right. I advertise thru google in the U.S. and India. I get about 70 new people every day. Of those probably 40 look a significant time at my web site. I ask for feedback and have 3 methods of giving same. I allow autonomous feedback. Mostly silence. I assume if someone thought I was wrong they would tell me. The 3 actual feedback's about the accuracy of my theories were as I indicated awe.
I found a doctor who purposed that you can reverse type 2 diabetes by eating a low carb diet. My response, very maybe. I also am a sample of 1 that proves that you can stay on a low carb diet indefinitely if you have type 2 diabetes since you will not necessarily lose weight and my heath (ignoring the cancers we are all pron to as we age) is improved. I know about the thrifty gene theory and do other people on this site. They said my theory sounded like the thrifty gene. I have written that it is different then the type of changes (paraphrase) described by the doctor who originally gave this theory but.... Since there is so much energy lost in changing sugar into fat and then back to sugar my method of sugar processing is much more energy efficient.
It sounds like you do not know why most people lose weight on a low carb diet. With a low carb diet if you are not a type 2 diabetic and/or have the "hunter" gene you lose weight. This happens because you produce insulin to process protein. When insulin gets in the blood it does not know if it is there for protein or sugar. You start to change sugar into fat even though your blood sugar is not high. I speculate that all humans have hormones which we can produce when necessary to prevent very low blood sugar. You probably produce these hormones but do not stop your blood sugar from dropping. The body does not like low blood sugar so your liver changes fat into sugar. As I have indicated above, sugar into fat and then fat into sugar uses a lot of energy you lose weight. "Normal" people would starve on a low carb diet.
Normal people, as you call non diabetics would not starve on a low carb diet, fact. There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, fact. The Eskimo and Sami people had (and some still have) a diet almost devoid of carbohydrates. The Masai people who have little interaction outside of the Mara do not suffer in the same way as people who eat a western diet. The western diet is the culprit, it is the sheer amount of over processed food and sugar laden, carb heavy rubbish that is fuelling the epidemic in diabesity.
There *may* be a genetic link, a trigger, even but until geneticists discover that/those links all talk of causes must inherently be guess work.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I have indicated above, sugar into fat and then fat into sugar uses a lot of energy you lose weight. "Normal" people would starve on a low carb diet.

Would like to point out that fats does not turn into sugar...and when normal people starve...for 5-10 days, their glucose remains stable...but fats converts to ketone bodies and ketone level goes up as it serves to indicate the use of alternative fuel.

If fats turn to glucose, then glucose level would have risen. Typically it is the proteins that gets turn into glucose and the body is design to minimize the use of protein as a source of glucose. Otherwise we would lose muscle mass too quickly. So the priority is to burn fats...in the absence of carbs.

Note also that the absence of carbs would also lower the level of insulin in circulation. This then allows fats to be utilize rather then stored.

Glucose-Ketones-Fast-mimicking-diet.png

Reactions: TIANDB and Guzzler

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Normal people, as you call non diabetics would not starve on a low carb diet, fact. There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, fact. The Eskimo and Sami people had (and some still have) a diet almost devoid of carbohydrates. The Masai people who have little interaction outside of the Mara do not suffer in the same way as people who eat a western diet. The western diet is the culprit, it is the sheer amount of over processed food and sugar laden, carb heavy rubbish that is fuelling the epidemic in diabesity.
There *may* be a genetic link, a trigger, even but until geneticists discover that/those links all talk of causes must inherently be guess work.
Hi

A ha you know people with the "hunter" gene. Look up the low carb diet on this web site. You will see they only want people to stay on the diet for a limited amount of time. They want people to say how much weight they lost. People either have some carbohydrates (actually more than a trivial amount) in their diet or have the "hunter" gene or they will starve to death.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

A ha you know people with the "hunter" gene. Look up the low carb diet on this web site. You will see they only want people to stay on the diet for a limited amount of time. They want people to say how much weight they lost. People either have some carbohydrates (actually more than a trivial amount) in their diet or have the "hunter" gene or they will starve to death.
Hi

I have miswrote you can live on fat with limited protein.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Would like to point out that fats does not turn into sugar...and when normal people starve...for 5-10 days, their glucose remains stable...but fats converts to ketone bodies and ketone level goes up as it serves to indicate the use of alternative fuel.

If fats turn to glucose, then glucose level would have risen. Typically it is the proteins that gets turn into glucose and the body is design to minimize the use of protein as a source of glucose. Otherwise we would lose muscle mass too quickly. So the priority is to burn fats...in the absence of carbs.

Note also that the absence of carbs would also lower the level of insulin in circulation. This then allows fats to be utilize rather then stored.

Glucose-Ketones-Fast-mimicking-diet.png
Hi

Yup. I haven't checked but I may be using fat as you suggest. If so, it is not bad for my healtn.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi

That is simply not true.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi

I must be dead then. :rolleyes: