Not the greatest start to my holiday :(

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As per my previous post - lowest low during flight. I've tonight had the highest high for a while.

Me and my husband went on a tapas tour and I did my best to avoid carbs and alcohol where possible but did have one glass of red and mainly fish dishes. I guessed my carbs but noticed my sugars rising later in the evening.

I'm now high - have increased my basal rate by 10% overnight and taken a correction dose but don't seem to be lowering. Any advice?

I'm already kicking myself as I've had pretty good levels until my holiday and this will count towards my HbA1c in December

Reactions: saorinenn

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tiredoftrying2017 . Although I'm not a pumper like yourself I also find my sugars go awry once I go on holiday.
Different food at different times, more relaxed and temptation to nibble here and there, different climate. Everything can disrupt BS levels. Climate maybe playing a big part of problem. If you're in a hot climate that can seriously affect your insulin requirements and control. Lots of diabetics suffer for the first few days when going to a hot climate. As I say I'm not a pumper but I think you need to make small adjustments like you're doing and keep monitoring.
Don't worry about your HbA1C. It's a result from 8/12 weeks of previous long term BS control, your holiday shouldn't affect the reading as much as you think it will. Besides no one is going to judge you on a HbA1C result, it's just a brief moment in time result, look at the bigger picture, you've had good control and will regain that control, if the holiday is a bit of a blip so be it but don't let it ruin your holiday. Believe me holidays and erratic BS levels are common for us guys.
Enjoy and have a great holiday.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Check for ketones, prime your pump so you can check its working properly and double your correction dose. This is what I do when I have a high.
It sucks when it happens but don't beat yourself up about it. Highs every now and then are a part of a diabetics life. As long as your over all control is good it won't affect your hba1c

Don't let it get you down, enjoy the rest of your holiday x

Reactions: mytype1.life

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
count towards my HbA1c in December
emoji31.png
emoji31.png

If you consider an HbA1c (a measure of glycated hemoglobin) is a bit like an average of your BG for between 60 and 80 days (8 to 12 weeks) one or two days of highs shouldn't affect the end result too badly. Just look after yourself and have a great holiday.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reassurance guys. Woke up in range which was good. Had a few hypos today, expected though when I realised I've walked 27,000 steps in the heat!

Reactions: claire1991

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know!! I kept saying 'let's just keep walking' to my husband rather than get public transport. It soon added up!!

Reactions: claire1991

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha!
To make matters worse... my finger pricker has broken and the one time I don't bring a spare...
I know I shouldn't rely on my libre but I'm going to just for today and part of tomorrow until I'm home. It's my own fault!!

I've inputted my readings over the part couple of days and if I look at the average they aren't too horrific... 8.1 yesterday and 9.1 on Saturday but I'm aiming to get them back in range once home.

Reactions: James1968

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As per my previous post - lowest low during flight. I've tonight had the highest high for a while.

Me and my husband went on a tapas tour and I did my best to avoid carbs and alcohol where possible but did have one glass of red and mainly fish dishes. I guessed my carbs but noticed my sugars rising later in the evening.

I'm now high - have increased my basal rate by 10% overnight and taken a correction dose but don't seem to be lowering. Any advice?

I'm already kicking myself as I've had pretty good levels until my holiday and this will count towards my HbA1c in December
As a p

As a pumper a couple of things to note, do you understand Prandle and post Prandle, basically Prandle is your sugar level prior to food and Post Prandle is your sugar after 2 hours. although your sugar can go high after food if you have taken sufficient insulin it will come down. Diabetes is not an exact science and your targets are that. The key is to do more finger prick tests if it remains high and do an adjustment dose if needed manually via the pump. If you speak to your doctor they will explain how to. When abroad you do not always know the Carb contents and it is difficult to keep track, so testing is the way to go. I recently moved to Cyprus and had some difficulty with the local food, I am now up to speed but even now get the higher than usual from time to time. My pump has CGM which helps and was upgraded when I came here but I imagine yours does not so again your finger testing is your best option and more frequently. You will see your levels decreasing and will work out how to deal with the higher results. Do not worry about your HBA1c results they average out anyway, I had a problem with a set and went very high but it had little effect on my averages. Finger pricking devices can be bought just about any where in the world from Pharmacies so if you loose it walk in and ask its suprising how many items you can get in other countries, the exception usually is the test strips you use but even then supplies are available. good luck do not worry it all comes right in the end as they say. Graham.

Reactions: mytype1.life

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I know I shouldn't rely on my libre but I'm going to just for today and part of tomorrow until I'm home. It's my own fault!!

In theory the FS Libre shouldn't be too far off the mark although as I use one myself I have been caught out. Seems to be more inaccurate towards the end, possibly because it's been in and on the arm for 2 weeks.

As fault, these things are all very well in hindsight, don't be too hard on yourself, it makes things worse. Hope you had a good holiday. 27,000 steps eh? 13 - 15 miles, or burning 1,350 calories, soon adds up doesn't it?

Susan Clarke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going on holiday does upset your system. I am type 2 diabetic, but suffered from dreadful cramp after our flight. I was advised that I should have drunk more water whilst flying as I possibly got de hydrated. Its scary when you are abroad and that happens, but was reassured by my diabetic nurse when I got home that I didn't have a problem with my circulation in my leg. It was wise to have it checked by her though.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @DavidGrahamJones, @Susan Clarke and @.gurley

I've had T1 for 23 years but a pump for 18 months. I test more regularly than ever before and 2 hours food so am working out which foods are good for me and which aren't.

Yeah I went on holiday for a rest but it wasn't particularly relaxing, very active and a little stressful!

Things have settled now I'm back but am coming down with a stinking cold which is sure to elevate my BS.

I'm used to travelling as I studied abroad and have also done long haul to Australia so I don't know if it's just because I'm more conscious and aware of my BS but it definitely feels tougher to manage.