Now type1 and bus driver

Geeps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all
I am a bus driver and type2. But recently been told by my diabetic consultant i will have to go onto insulin. I have appointment 19July when i think they will put me on insulin.
Dvla say i cannot drive for min six weeks as they want to see 3 readings a day to check for any hypo's.
I am asking if there anyone out there been through this process and any tips they can give me. Also how do you show dvla your readings.
I am getting rather stressed about all this due to decrease in earnings while i am off work.
Look forward to any advice out there and what are right steps in dealing with dvla.

Thank you for any replies.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Geeps and welcome to the forums.
You may find this thread useful

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And tagging @searley who drives a HGV and is on insulin and drives a lorry.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Start testing NOW

When you inform DVLA they will revoke your livens and you will have to pass medical checks to get it back

You will require 3 months of blood tests to pass the medical

You need a minimum of 2 tests a day.. and you need to test every 2 hours while driving.. you must not skip days even days you don’t work

Someone at work applied for a renewal in May and they still have not done his medicals

So don’t be surprised if you don’t have a license for some months.. but the 3 months is a legal requirement so the sooner you start testing the sooner you’ll pass that part of the medical

• Useful
Reactions: EllieM