Nurse

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,after my introduction to this site yesterday I did as someone suggested and rang the practice nurse,she returned my call today(I suffer with eating disorders and have allergies).This is what I was told - My HbA1c tests showed I need help as I am diabetic (I knew that bit!) An appointment has been made for me at our local hospital to see a diabetic doctor on 20th December. I have also been referred to an eating disorders clinic (this may take months!) She thinks I am suffering with depression, I should try to eat every 2 hours at least (I'm struggling to eat every 2 days at the moment!) I should NOT test my blood as it could confuse me ??? (How do I keep track if I don't test) and lastly they've not had an anorexic bulimic person with diabetes before. . . . . . and??? I've to make an appointment to see her after I've been to hospital in December.!!! I told her I'm learning from this site and I feel very optimistic I can conquer my eating disorders with some help,she wished me luck and said she'd see me after Xmas!!! PS. I've made an appointment to see my doctor on Friday. . . . maybe he can help me?!?! X x

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done @Jogreen21 That is one small step at the beginning of your journey! :) Good luck on Friday!

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou so much.what do you think about me not testing my blood sugar? I'm still testing at moment as I was told on this site it would help me to see which foods I tolerated ie; if it goes too high/low I know not to eat that food. Something's working as I've gone over 24 hours without vomiting.I know I've not eaten much but at least its stayed in my tummy x x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,after my introduction to this site yesterday I did as someone suggested and rang the practice nurse,she returned my call today(I suffer with eating disorders and have allergies).This is what I was told - My HbA1c tests showed I need help as I am diabetic (I knew that bit!) An appointment has been made for me at our local hospital to see a diabetic doctor on 20th December. I have also been referred to an eating disorders clinic (this may take months!) She thinks I am suffering with depression, I should try to eat every 2 hours at least (I'm struggling to eat every 2 days at the moment!) I should NOT test my blood as it could confuse me ??? (How do I keep track if I don't test) and lastly they've not had an anorexic bulimic person with diabetes before. . . . . . and??? I've to make an appointment to see her after I've been to hospital in December.!!! I told her I'm learning from this site and I feel very optimistic I can conquer my eating disorders with some help,she wished me luck and said she'd see me after Xmas!!! PS. I've made an appointment to see my doctor on Friday. . . . maybe he can help me?!?! X x

Jo - That's a much, much better picture than you had yesterday. You have a bunch of referrals, including to address your eating issues.

As far as the testing is concerned, I am completely with you on the immediate feedback it gives us. I couldn't consider wandering around in the (diabetes) dark for several months then going back to the surgery to see how badly I had done! Understanding blood testing is a bit of a challenge to start with, but it's not rocket science and we seem to get the hang of it quickly enough. It's your choice and in my view, you have made a sound one.

Should you find yourself feeling overwhelmed by your testing, you can always ask for assistance on here to understand the bewildering bit, or if it just all feels a bit much, you can always give the testing a rest for a couple of days until the unease settles.

The very stark reality of both your diabetes and your eating disorders is that the real differences are made by what YOU do; not what your medical team do. Of course you need support and of course after such a long time of disordered eating, it is likely those habits are going to take a bit of breaking for a sustained breakthrough, but there is absolutely nothing to say you won't do it. If you've had the physical and mental rigour to get yourself into this place, I feel positive you have it to get out of the tight corner too. Just don't be impatient if everything doesn't go absolutely right first time. Learning is as much about the mistakes we make as the breakthroughs we can make.

I'll say it again. I reckon you'll get here.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jogreen21 If testing your blood is not causing you anxiety, carry on. Don't worry about any individual reading, and after a couple of weeks, download the data to a PC if you can, into a spreadsheet and make a graph from the data. All you need to do is check for a trend in your BS
Good luck, and re read @AndBreathe post above, it is very pertinent

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I think that the only way you will know what you can eat is by testing! Diabetic nurses often tell Diabetics this and the response from the forum is inevitably the same. Keep testing. How dare she say it would only confuse you!

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thankyou.I do feel positive and I know its up to me but I've tried on my own and couldn't success I'm afraid.I know it may sound bad but getting diabetes is the best kick up the a**e I could have.I now know I have people out there rooting for me. All in all a good positive day for me x

Reactions: 75Bedford

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Jogreen21 If testing your blood is not causing you anxiety, carry on. Don't worry about any individual reading, and after a couple of weeks, download the data to a PC if you can, into a spreadsheet and make a graph from the data. All you need to do is check for a trend in your BS
Good luck, and re read @AndBreathe post above, it is very pertinent
Again thank YOU. I know its my fault and its up to me to put it right but I know I cannot do it by myself.. .. I've tried. Finding this site is helping me immensely and for over 24 hours I've NOT vomited so my 2 boiled eggs,a pear and a small amount if beans and a half slice if toast is still in my tummy and I feel quite elated (I just hope its not because I've had too much sugar lol )thanx for reading x
Jo - That's a much, much better picture than you had yesterday. You have a bunch of referrals, including to address your eating issues.

As far as the testing is concerned, I am completely with you on the immediate feedback it gives us. I couldn't consider wandering around in the (diabetes) dark for several months then going back to the surgery to see how badly I had done! Understanding blood testing is a bit of a challenge to start with, but it's not rocket science and we seem to get the hang of it quickly enough. It's your choice and in my view, you have made a sound one.

Should you find yourself feeling overwhelmed by your testing, you can always ask for assistance on here to understand the bewildering bit, or if it just all feels a bit much, you can always give the testing a rest for a couple of days until the unease settles.

The very stark reality of both your diabetes and your eating disorders is that the real differences are made by what YOU do; not what your medical team do. Of course you need support and of course after such a long time of disordered eating, it is likely those habits are going to take a bit of breaking for a sustained breakthrough, but there is absolutely nothing to say you won't do it. If you've had the physical and mental rigour to get yourself into this place, I feel positive you have it to get out of the tight corner too. Just don't be impatient if everything doesn't go absolutely right first time. Learning is as much about the mistakes we make as the breakthroughs we can make.

I'll say it again. I reckon you'll get here.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that the only way you will know what you can eat is by testing! Diabetic nurses often tell Diabetics this and the response from the forum is inevitably the same. Keep testing. How dare she say it would only confuse you!
I thought the same thing.I felt like I was being told off !! I'm on quite a high as I've not vomited for over 24 hours and I can't remember the last time I went that long.I did think (,rightly I hope) that if I carry on testing it will educate me as to which foods I can tolerate.its rather overwhelming as I know I've got so much to sort out but knowing people like you are out there to help me.one thing I couldn't understand is why my blood sugar is so high when I've not eaten the nurse confused me when she said I have a fatty liver and also my liver is making too much sugar?? I didnt understand how it could do both.I don't drink any alcohol or drugs and don't eat fatty food. Is it my liver that causes the diabetes? X x

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou so much.what do you think about me not testing my blood sugar? I'm still testing at moment as I was told on this site it would help me to see which foods I tolerated ie; if it goes too high/low I know not to eat that food. Something's working as I've gone over 24 hours without vomiting.I know I've not eaten much but at least its stayed in my tummy x x

so fantastic you haven´t been vomiting , thats so fine.

I think in the longer run you will get a lot out of testing your blood glucose.....

I read your measured numbers from breakfast in another column you did write here...and you asked what we would think of your numbers...

1.to be honest, is takes some time to learn what foods spikes ones blood glucose too much,

2, second it may also take some time to get your numbers down in the optimal range, but that is important,

3. one month doesn´t probably do much more damage than already done, and thats probably why she thinks you should relax on measuring.

4.besides for some reason most countries in Europe have guidelines that says diabetics type 2 shall not measure their own blood glucose.... which is so stupid as a tight control could prevent people from getting blind , from having amputations from getting neuropathy and a lot of other problems and risks..

Now back to what I think of your numbers, well they are still too high 10mmol is still a rather high morning number
and the food you ate for breakfast shouldn´t contribute much to raising your blood glucose/BG
So the reason for the raising is I guess the Dawn Phenomenon , which the body creates in the morning before one has not eaten anything, and it can conntinue to raise for hours, but usually stops after the first high fat and high protein meal in the morning.

but in your case, the main problem is maybe that you eat too little all the time so your liver is even more overactive in converting proteins into glucose , than in many other diabetic type 2´s, as your body have had to rely on your liver production rather than on your food-intake... that can also mean that in your case your body maybe even steals proteins from your muscles to have enough to fuel your brains and body, and that is a bad cycle...So good your breakfast was a high protein meal at least..

so to say something possitive, it is a good thing that you have eaten something especially for breakfast, and it is good that it is a high-protein meal...
Usually I would say you should avoid all bread and carbs... but then thinking it over maybe your liver is so overactive because your body has far to little fuel all in all...if you could get yourself to eat something right before you sleep like a cheese-stick or alike maybe then your morning number would be much lower before breakfast and maybe not keep raising even after breakfast either...

wish you good luck on getting back to being your bodies best friend... then you will soon learn to get control and get a low enough number I think..

Last edited:

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Again thank YOU. I know its my fault and its up to me to put it right but I know I cannot do it by myself.. .. I've tried. Finding this site is helping me immensely and for over 24 hours I've NOT vomited so my 2 boiled eggs,a pear and a small amount if beans and a half slice if toast is still in my tummy and I feel quite elated (I just hope its not because I've had too much sugar lol )thanx for reading x
I dontvthink I could do this without you.finding this site was the best thing ever and I know I have people out there to help me I just hope the "high" I'm feeling at the moment is because I've had a good day and not because I've had too much sugar lol x

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I did think (,rightly I hope) that if I carry on testing it will educate me as to which foods I can tolerate
You are right Jo. You need to test. If they will not give you testing strips you will have to buy them. I don't know what BG machine you have but some of the people (lots) on the forum buy a Codefree as the strips are the cheapest.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are right Jo. You need to test. If they will not give you testing strips you will have to buy them. I don't know what BG machine you have but some of the people (lots) on the forum buy a Codefree as the strips are the cheapest.
I'm going out to buy a new one tomorrow and don't mind buying the strips for the rest of my life.something's working and today feels s different life to yesterday x

Reactions: seadragon

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm going out to buy a new one tomorrow and don't mind buying the strips for the rest of my life.something's working and today feels s different life to yesterday x
That is wonderful Jo... keep up the good work! :)

Reactions: Freema