1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Office temperature and type 2

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Brodiebear, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:31 PM.

1. Brodiebear

Brodiebear Type 2 · Active Member

Hi everyone,

Moved offices to a the top floor (10th storey) of a glass building. The side I sit in (team) faces the sun from sunrise and the floor has been toping out at around 28 degrees. Now I am convinced this heat with my T2 diabetes is making me very sleepy during the day ( am I correct) can I then request I work from home ?

2. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is only guidance regarding minimum and maximum working temperatures in the UK workplace.

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-temperatures

I'd say 28degC is unreasonable, especially if it is prolonged. Is it at all possible to move desk?

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also might be what you are eating for lunch? What kind of things do you normally eat?

4. Brodiebear

Brodiebear Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks for the replies, I can't move desk as the floor is full plus we are grouped as teams. Food wise, same as I eat when the temperature isn't high, chicken, tuna, salad or rice. Will just have to monitor and see how I go. If I can see a pattern with the heat and tiredness will go to HR

5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I think it would acceptable to ask for a fan, but I would think most offices these days have air con ? I can wilt in the heat and my BS can drop a lot too.
    Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook