Omnipod and the beach

anniefriar84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 25 years and on a pump for 5. I have recently changed from the accu chek combo to an omnipod. With a 3 year old boy I belive the Omnipod gives me more flexibility.

I am taking my first trip abroad with the pump in a few weeks and was looking for some advice off some fellow Omnipodders! Is there anything people would suggest / recomend when wearing the Omnipod on holiday? In particular I am thinking - i) on the beach and sand getting into the pump ii) when spending long period in water, i read it should be submerged for no longer then 60 mins so assume that to mean get out, dry it, have a quick break and then start again and iii) should it be kept out of direct sunlight i.e under clothing at all times?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is the type of information the instructions never seem to tell you!

Thanks!

Annie.

WhiteleyGirl

Hi, go online to ebay.co.uk and search for an insulin pump pouch. I think theyre great might be easier to wear. Different colours available. Little hole in the back for the tube to go through and just clips round your waist

Enjoy your holiday

Alison

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Annie,

I've not had a beach holiday since starting on the Omnipod Pump but I can't see sand being a problems as the Pods are sealed, as for swimming, the manual does say the Pods can be submerged up to 60mins but it's best to inspect the Pod regularly to check if the adhesive is still secure, so I think the main issue with pro-longed exposure to water is the Pod adhesive rather than the Pod itself.

Over the years on the forum I've seen some pump users say they take a pump break whilst holidaying abroad, so going back to MDI could be an option if you think the exposure to sun will effect your insulin, if in doubt have a chat to someone at Ypsomed who'll advise you further.

Have a great time.

D

Deleted Account

One thing I would add to the comments above is to be aware of not getting the insulin too hot. This should not be a problem whilst you are in the sea. However, if you are a sun worshipper, you should try to keep your Omipod out of direct sunlight. There are frio-type pouches for "non-poddy" pumps. However, these are not suitable for Omnipod as they are much bigger and pretty much cover the whole of the pump (with a little hole for the tubing). Omnipod was not an option for me (so I am slightly envious of not having to be attached to a phone-sized device) so perhaps so Omnipodders may be able to advise.
The other advice is to take plenty of supplies including an alternative to your Omnipod in case you have trouble with your sites or your controller. And to ensure all your supplies are in your hand luggage when you fly.

Reactions: tircoed

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Annie,

I used to have an Omnipod and took it abroad with me for a beach holiday in Spain.
I would really recommend taking lots of back-up pods with you along with insulin pens etc.
I found that after being in the sea earlier in the day on 3 occasions the pod failed later that evening. Two occlusions and one adhesive came unstuck. Not sure why and my team weren't sure either. It may have just been me....The omnipod and I just didn't get on very sadly.
I really missed it last summer when I went on a beach holiday and HATED having to keep disconnecting tubed pump!! I think if I go on another beach holiday I might go back to MDI.

Have a wonderful time with your family :)

anniefriar84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone for your replies and help Sorry it's taken so long to reply...couldn't work out how to find the post I'd written! Xxx

Reactions: tircoed