Parkrun

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
It gets to a point were its as hard in your head as it is in your legs. It's 29 years since I last ran these sort of distances.

Distance wise I tend to find anything above this is just hard work and the only pleasure is when you stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It gets to a point were its as hard in your head as it is in your legs. It's 29 years since I last ran these sort of distances.

Distance wise I tend to find anything above this is just hard work and the only pleasure is when you stop.

How long after quitting smoking did it take to get your 'wind' back for exercising if you don't mind me asking as I'm bloody determined to quit the tabs for good soon but walking is all I can manage at the moment without sounding like Darth Vader! :dead:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I did a 3 mile walk, try most days can't run ....does that count .....Kat :cat:

yes it sure does count! all exercise is great :) and its relative, your 3 mile walk may take more effort for someone to run 3 miles, so you did a better job than them because its all about putting in the effort far as im concerned, keep it up :) you should try the park run plenty of folks walk it, its great

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I can't remember exactly but it was a couple of months. I started with walks and extremely slow swimming. It was probably 4 months before I could swim more than ten minutes at a reasonable pace. Then it kinda sneaks up on you and all of a sudden you find you have walked quickly up an hill without coughing your guts up or stopping.

Don't get me wrong I still miss cigs sometimes but I don't miss what they do to me.
Starting the Champix and getting rid of them, yup glad I did it.

Kat all exercise is a bonus. We do what we can do.

I just hope in 30 years time, if I am still around I have the sense to stick to the word no when someone says wouldn't it be nice if you ran a Marathon...

I can't even stop for a fag on the way round this time.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
How long after quitting smoking did it take to get your 'wind' back for exercising if you don't mind me asking as I'm bloody determined to quit the tabs for good soon but walking is all I can manage at the moment without sounding like Darth Vader! :dead:

i went onto ecigs in october 2012 because the kids here driving me mad about smoking, i was smoking 40 - 60 roll ups a day im still ecigging, maybe you should give them a try mate i havent craved a single fag after starting them, these dont seem to effect my lungs at all, and i dont wretch every morning anynmore :) not for everyone though

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Thanks guys for the replies,my local stop smoking service won't prescribe me Champix but only patches or gum which weren't enough for me so the E-cig will be my next port of call as I've heard such positive things from people who use them...I know what you mean about morning retching and It takes me a good hour or two every morning to cough and clear all the catarrh out of my tubes which I'm fed up with.:(

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I couldn't get Champix when it first came out but when I went back they were all for it. Good luck with whatever you try.

The important thing for me was being ready to see the back of them.

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Hi Paul, I've been on the ecig since December 1st, on the ecig tank thing and have to say not fancied a ciggie since. I was on 40 a day for 25 years.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get a pair of these shoes for your park runs lol, my wife "borrowing" my sons pair lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks Brett :) Had traditional road trainers for parkrun on tarmac. Orienteering shoes (rubber studs with metal points, with protective toe cap and velcro fixed flap to protect laces) for today's orienteering on a disused airfield (some tracks, some WWII tarmac being reclaimed by vegetation, marshes, wood patches etc). Need to check route description and weather on the day before I decide on footwear for NYD mini ultra trail run.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol no i looked out the window and snuggled back under the duvet, i feel really bad about it and im going out now hehe or in a minutes anyway

on a positive note i joined a running club yesterday, im going for a run with them monday night, there are 2 women doing the london marathon for the same charity as me in the club and apparently they are at about the same pace as me so im looking forward to getting to know them and get some support hopefully :) im nervous as i never ran with anyone before but excited :)

how did you do today?

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I did a comfortable 24:12 today. We had good weather for it. Cool and dry.

Running with a club should help :)

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
I won't be comfortable on tomorrow's long run. Looking at the weather that may get shoved to Monday.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
we are currently rowing lol because i want to go out for a run, this is terrific support :)

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
My lass can't really say owt as it was her flipping idea (for me) to run a marathon again after not running for a lot of years. She does get up and volunteer at parkrun. I am normally getting back from the long run as she is crawling out of bed. Not tommorow though as my daughter needs me to drive her 20 odd miles to work.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ive cancelled my run because im the boss lol, now ill burn some calories sulking :dead:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ok well that went badly lol

went to the running club tonight, well im introduced to the circle of runners as "training for the marathon" dude, i get a ripple of applause, then the guvna of the runnning club asks whos doing the 5 and a half? so im thinking ok 5 and a half k thats easy enough, and whos doing the 3 and half well im thinking ok this is ok ill do the 3 and a half just to settle in, you know ill look like i just got out of bed at 3.5 k, so he looks straight at the "marathon man" andy and says you want to do the 5 and a half mile andy? miles? oh **** "ok i say, i dont mind" noooooooooooooo i wanna do the 3.5 k not the 5.5 mile, well all the shapes and sizes people where i wanna be set off and the "marathon man" andy is left with the mo farrah and sebastian co, off we go... are these two kidding me? we are sprinting down the bloody road, so now we are in the dark on these backs streets i have no clue where i am how far weve gone and where the nearest hospital is at, i am proper struggling along behind them puffing and panting while they cruise along talking aboiut the weather like there sitting in the beer garden on a sunny day, i feel like ive done 10 miles at a sprint but on we go, we must be nearly home by now im shattered but on we go, then like an angel shining down from a cloud we come across a level crossing where the barriers are just coming down, i could have cried tears of joy, so that gives me a second to recover and we are off again, after 30 seconds im in the same mess i was before the crossing but now im dropping back...and back....this is embarrasing now, they are waiting for me at the corners, im shouting go on im fine hoping to god they ****** off so i can walk back or get a taxi, we eventually arrive back at the shop we started at, they are fresh as daisys and i am seriously doubting my need to be doing this to myself,

everyone was nice, the guvna asks me how it went and i say, well they slowed me down a bit but i didnt mind, now how could you not find that funny? well they didnt, oh well lol, its a rule not to judge anything on the first try (hence 2 kids) so ill give it another go next week, but it gets a 3 out of 10 so it needs to get better fast especially with a price tag of £15 a year membership, not alot to lose lol

Reactions: 6 people