Paying for test strips unfair if you've been told to self monitor.

M

Member559176

This is an absolute DISGRACE, I have just been told that I will not be able to get my test strips on prescription when I have been told to monitor my blood glucose levels.

I am planning of putting a complaint into the General Medical Council, Care Quality Commission, Royal Collage of Nursing & National Institute of Clinical Excellence. I don't see why diabetics of any type on any kind of treatment including diet controlled should have to pay for test strips when they have been told by their so called medical professional to monitor their blood glucose levels.

It's an absolute DISGRACE not only to people who have paid national insurance contributions all their life, it's also a disgrace to the NHS.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm afraid if you even get a dep!y will be a bonus.
If your GP has issued you with a monitor, then he/she should provide a certain amount of testing strips on your prescription. Under NICE guidelines, you should get free prescriptions unless it for certain over the counter meds.
Many on here have to self fund and I am tagging @Rachox to help you with the cheapest to buy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @PAF84 and thank you for the tag @Lamont D

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews if you use this link and select the meter plus 5 packs of strips, and then add the code dcuk (all lower case) at check out you may get money off, I’m not sure if this code is still valid.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Links to the strips for future orders:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively. Again I’m not sure if these codes are still valid.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE

They have a meter called the Tee2 + which is quite popular however I haven’t been able to find it on their website lately.

(Old link which doesn’t work for me now but maybe works for you, if it doesn’t try the phone number below

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793 )

The strips are to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

M

Member559176

I REFUSE POINT BLANK TO PAY FOR TEST STRIPS WHICH SHOULD BE GIVE FREE OF CHARGE ON PRESCRIPTION & AFTER PAYING THOUSANDS IN NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS SINCE I WAS 18 & BEING TOLD BY A SO CALLED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL TO MONITOR MY GLUCOSE LEVEL.

IT'S OUT OF ORDERED AND A COMPLETE DISGRACE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I REFUSE POINT BLANK TO PAY FOR TEST STRIPS WHICH SHOULD BE GIVE FREE OF CHARGE ON PRESCRIPTION & AFTER PAYING THOUSANDS IN NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS SINCE I WAS 18.

Hi,

NI contributions count towards this..? https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

Nothing is technically “free on prescription.” As a T1 I need to apply for a subsidised script every five years.but it isn’t NI.
In fact NI is not even a “pot.” (According to an economist I listened to once.) my NI contributions help my mother’s pension. What she paid in during her time. Helped her dad… (in layman’s terms.)

I also seem to remember getting an NI card at the age of 15. (In the post.) Prior to leaving school & finding gainful employment..
Of course, I’m far more. cynical about about it all than I was as a proud school leaver finding my way in the world as a young diabetic.

“Cap locks.” Can come across as a bit “shouty” in your posts. Though as a tax payer myself. In an ideal world I would want to help contribute to what you need..

Best wishes.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
˙ʇᴉ ʍouʞ ǝʍ sɐ ʇǝuɹǝʇuᴉ ǝɥʇ ǝɹoɟǝq sʎɐp ʇǝuǝsn ǝɥʇ ǝɔuᴉs ɥʇnoɔun pǝɹǝpᴉsuoɔ sᴉ ʇxǝʇ ǝsɐɔ ɹǝdn ll∀

ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ uᴉ ǝɹǝɥ SSpN uᴉoɾ ʎǝɥʇ ɟᴉ sdᴉɹʇs pǝsᴉpsqns ʇǝƃ oʇ ʎʞɔnl ǝɹɐ ᄅ┴ sɐɥ ʇɐɥʇ ǝslǝ ǝuo ʎɹǝʌƎ ˙llǝʍ sɐ ɯᴉɥ oʇ uᴉɐldɯoɔ puɐ ɹoʇɐuǝs ǝʇɐʇs ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ ʎɹʇ 'ǝʇᴉɹʍ oʇ ʎʇᴉlᴉqɐ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ƃuᴉɥʇ pooפ

M

Member559176

˙ʇᴉ ʍouʞ ǝʍ sɐ ʇǝuɹǝʇuᴉ ǝɥʇ ǝɹoɟǝq sʎɐp ʇǝuǝsn ǝɥʇ ǝɔuᴉs ɥʇnoɔun pǝɹǝpᴉsuoɔ sᴉ ʇxǝʇ ǝsɐɔ ɹǝdn ll∀

ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ uᴉ ǝɹǝɥ SSpN uᴉoɾ ʎǝɥʇ ɟᴉ sdᴉɹʇs pǝsᴉpsqns ʇǝƃ oʇ ʎʞɔnl ǝɹɐ ᄅ┴ sɐɥ ʇɐɥʇ ǝslǝ ǝuo ʎɹǝʌƎ ˙llǝʍ sɐ ɯᴉɥ oʇ uᴉɐldɯoɔ puɐ ɹoʇɐuǝs ǝʇɐʇs ɹnoʎ ƃuᴉʇᴉɹʍ ʎɹʇ 'ǝʇᴉɹʍ oʇ ʎʇᴉlᴉqɐ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ƃuᴉɥʇ pooפ
sorry I can't read your message it's upside down so I no idea what it says.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
sorry I can't read your message it's upside down so I no idea what it says.
@Riva_Roxaban is from Australia and though I am sure that there is some fancy forum software that will allow you to (literally) turn his message upside down I must admit that I resort to turning my laptop upside down as a quick way to read the message.

Having said that. I guess it's not an option if you are using a monitor, so here is a rotated screenshot

Attachments

• upsidedown.jpg
    upsidedown.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 132

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I REFUSE POINT BLANK TO PAY FOR TEST STRIPS WHICH SHOULD BE GIVE FREE OF CHARGE ON PRESCRIPTION & AFTER PAYING THOUSANDS IN NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS SINCE I WAS 18 & BEING TOLD BY A SO CALLED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL TO MONITOR MY GLUCOSE LEVEL.

I have a lot of sympathy for your feelings on this subject, as it is not fair that a medical condition that you did not ask for has to be paid for by you.

but ultimately if you choose not to monitor your blood sugar levels and take steps to lower them it will be your health that will suffer in coming years.

it will not happen in just a few months but over time the complications of diabetes including potential heart attacks or strokes or neuropathy leading to possible amputations, or loss of kidney function possibly leading to dialysis, and also sight loss due to diabetic retinopathy are the main features of uncontrolled blood sugars.

i guess you need to ask yourself if your health is worth your stand against an unfair system.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid if you even get a dep!y will be a bonus.
If your GP has issued you with a monitor, then he/she should provide a certain amount of testing strips on your prescription. Under NICE guidelines, you should get free prescriptions unless it for certain over the counter meds.
Many on here have to self fund and I am tagging @Rachox to help you with the cheapest to buy.
Free prescriptions only apply if you are on diabetic medications or qualify on other grounds like age. Diet controlled type 2 don’t get the exemption. And anyone that is entitled still needs to get a certificate from their doctor to activate the exemption

Abaratgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Lol. Australia, hence upside down writing.

• Funny
Reactions: Lainie71

Derbysocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never tested my blood glucose level until I started using insulin and was told it was not required until I was put on insulin. At which point I was given them on prescription.

• Informative

Celtic Angel

The last I read there were about 5 million diabetics in the uk, if we all got £20 worth of strips free per month that’s £100 million a month .... I expect to be buying my own forever.
I have bought everything myself ever since my doctor said that she wouldn't let me have a test kit with the strips, lancets and pen and the little machine. The reason she gave was because I was only type 2 diabetic I didn't need to test my blood sugar levels each day.
After spending a month in hospital where they tested twice a day every day, I asked my consultant his opinion and he told me that it's beneficial to know what my sugar levels are as it could prove valuable information in many medical issues. Medication is also affected by different sugar levels etc.
First thing I did when I got back home was to order the complete kit online. I'm so glad that I did, since I have had plenty of instances where it's proved life saving for them to know what my BSL reading was...

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve always bought my own never expected the NHS to pay I don’t consider it’s the Govnts job to do everything for me.

• Agree

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have bought everything myself ever since my doctor said that she wouldn't let me have a test kit with the strips, lancets and pen and the little machine. The reason she gave was because I was only type 2 diabetic I didn't need to test my blood sugar levels each day.
After spending a month in hospital where they tested twice a day every day, I asked my consultant his opinion and he told me that it's beneficial to know what my sugar levels are as it could prove valuable information in many medical issues. Medication is also affected by different sugar levels etc.
First thing I did when I got back home was to order the complete kit online. I'm so glad that I did, since I have had plenty of instances where it's proved life saving for them to know what my BSL reading was...
I always find if you order Glucorx they generally give you something free ie feet cream, new test machines with everything in it.

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is an absolute DISGRACE, I have just been told that I will not be able to get my test strips on prescription when I have been told to monitor my blood glucose levels.

I am planning of putting a complaint into the General Medical Council, Care Quality Commission, Royal Collage of Nursing & National Institute of Clinical Excellence. I don't see why diabetics of any type on any kind of treatment including diet controlled should have to pay for test strips when they have been told by their so called medical professional to monitor their blood glucose levels.

It's an absolute DISGRACE not only to people who have paid national insurance contributions all their life, it's also a disgrace to the NHS.

if you’re type 2, testing only needs to be done a couple of times a week, for the amount these things cost over a year I can’t see why you expect the Govnt to pay for them for you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you’re type 2, testing only needs to be done a couple of times a week, for the amount these things cost over a year I can’t see why you expect the Govnt to pay for them for you.

Hi,

To be fair, if one is monitoring progress on BG management after a diagnosis & doing work to lower & improve on the next A1c.
Testing A couple of times a week doesn’t build much of a useful profile to work with..