Pecans

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may be a silly question and I'm probably missing something, but when I Google how many carbs there is in 25g of pecans it says 4g. But on the packet I have the same amount works out as 1.4g. Anyone know which is correct please?

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't a clue, really, except to say that it might depend upon where they originate. Recently I bought a 1kg bag and that gives 5.8g carbs per 100g, which works out at 1.45g carbs for 25g weight. Country of origin stated as United States.

Reactions: Roxanne

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect it is the difference between total and net - pecans are 10 percent fibre, which would make a big difference if it is included or not - the difference between how the carbs are counted in the US and the UK.

Reactions: Salvia and Roxanne
D

Deleted Account

Does the Googled amount include fibre and the packet not?
In the UK, carbs mentioned on packaging EXcludes fibre (because, normally, we do not digest fibre so it does not affect BG).
In the USA, carbs mentioned on packaging INcludes fibre.

I find some Google results are USA-sourced and some are UK-sourced ... just to keep us on our toes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Roxanne

Roxanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh that explains that! So I count the lower amount from the packet, is that right?

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh that explains that! So I count the lower amount from the packet, is that right?

I would think so, Roxanne. The suggestions from others that the 4g may include fibre as well as carbs seems to be a good option. The ones I bought must be sourced in bulk from the US and packed, sold and distributed in the UK. No mention of fibre on the packet I have.

D

Deleted Account

You can double check - the amount you googled should also include a number for the fibre (or, fiber as we are assuming the website is American) so calculate the fibre and subtract it from the carbs you got using the same source. If it is close to the packet value, Bob's your uncle.