Petition re Continuous Blood Glucose Monitors

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a 37 year old Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 14 yrs old.

I have always suffered from brittle diabetes, however for the past 15 months I have also been suffering from nighttime hypos causing seizures and tongue biting.

I have started a petition to try to obtain funding for CGMs as they are not covered and would very much appreciate it if everyone could read and sign my petition by clicking the link below and then the RED SIGN button. Also please share it with ALL your friends, family and contacts and ask them to sign AND share it too! Even if you don't sign, please still share it. Someone else might sign it. If you cannot click the link, the other way to get to my petition is to go to the website "change.org" and search for "Bernecka" (my last name).

I need to get the government's attention and the only way to do it is to get as many signatures as I can. Please! I can't stress enough how important this is.

IMPORTANT: You MUST see a "thank you" page after signing, otherwise your signature will NOT count. Please note that phones and tablets do not always show the "thank you" page. It is best to sign the petition from your laptop/desktop. Thank you so much for your help!!

https://www.change.org/p/ontario-mi...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there any relevance to someone who is not an Ontario resident signing this? If I was them I would ignore non residents.

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any relevance to someone who is not an Ontario resident signing this? If I was them I would ignore non residents.
As far as I know, location and age do NOT matter. I have people signing from the States, Mexico, Australia, etc. I also have a few kids that have signed. I doesn't hurt to try.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Good luck with your petition.

I do hope that one day these will be available to all type 1 diabetics, these are incredibly useful tools for good BG control..

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@bernasia if you look at the new NICE guidelines I think you will find that you qualify for CGM

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure. I suppose it doesn't hurt, as she says above. I have no idea how the healthcare system works in Ontario, but when I challenged my PCT after they initially refused to fund my pump, I found providing evidence to them worked well.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As far as I know, location and age do NOT matter. I have people signing from the States, Mexico, Australia, etc. I also have a few kids that have signed. I doesn't hurt to try.
It may hurt to try, if the Ontario government dismisses the petition as being invalid or even claims it's fraudulent.

UK petitions need a UK postcode for each signatory, for example. Change.Org is lax but the Ontario government may be more strict. I would be, in there position. Unless the issue is an international one like human rights or environmental issues, I would expect any government to ignore petitioners from outside their jurisdiction, and potentially ignore any petition that was padded by non residents' signatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The petition is asking for a policy change to the social health insurance programme in Ontario, Canada. It's the equivalent of us in the UK petitioning for CGMs to be made available on prescription (ie free/subsidised) on the NHS. So I am sure we can identify with that desire.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does this post have DCUK Admin approval by the way? Do petition threads require Admin approval?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have always suffered from brittle diabetes, however for the past 15 months I have also been suffering from nighttime hypos causing seizures and tongue biting.
I am really sorry to hear this. I am guessing that you and your health care team tried adjusting your basal insulin rates / doses but this has not worked? If not, that might also be something we can try to help you with.

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am really sorry to hear this. I am guessing that you and your health care team tried adjusting your basal insulin rates / doses but this has not worked? If not, that might also be something we can try to help you with.
@Spiker Yes we tried adjusting my insulin several times but it has not made a difference with the seizures. Thank you

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does this post have DCUK Admin approval by the way? Do petition threads require Admin approval?
I initially posted this in a couple of threads here (didn't know I couldn't) and the extra ones got deleted but the original post stayed. I therefore think it's allowed

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may hurt to try, if the Ontario government dismisses the petition as being invalid or even claims it's fraudulent.

UK petitions need a UK postcode for each signatory, for example. Change.Org is lax but the Ontario government may be more strict. I would be, in there position. Unless the issue is an international one like human rights or environmental issues, I would expect any government to ignore petitioners from outside their jurisdiction, and potentially ignore any petition that was padded by non residents' signatures.
Not sure that they will ever even know where the person who signed lives. Each time someone signs the ppl I'm petitioning get an email with the name of the person followed by a simple sentence asking to add the CGM to the program. Change.org does generate a list with names and city/postal code/country info but that's for me to download and, if needed, deliver to the petitioned parties in hard form. For now I would like to flood them with emails and see.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker Yes we tried adjusting my insulin several times but it has not made a difference with the seizures. Thank you

Are you on MDI @bernasia ? I had seizures due to nocturnal hypos but since having my pump I haven't had any. It allows me to adjust my insulin dose to pretty much exactly what I need during the night.

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on MDI @bernasia ? I had seizures due to nocturnal hypos but since having my pump I haven't had any. It allows me to adjust my insulin dose to pretty much exactly what I need during the night.
@azure no, I'm not on a pump. I'm so incredibly terrified of them. :nailbiting: Just thinking/talking about one makes me feel nauseous and like I'm going to pass out. I know that everyone says they're wonderful and my head nurse has been trying to get me on one for over 10 years now, but I JUST CAN'T! :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you afraid it'll malfunction? That was my fear before I got one, but it was the only option for me to stop the hypos.

Once I'd had one shown and explained to me, I was A LOT happier. My first pump was 11 years ago and even then it had two microchips that constantly checked each other and that everything was ok.

I'd never give my pump back! It changed my life - literally.

I suggest you speak to people who have pumps, see some pumps, research online, etc. A pump could well be the answer you're looking for and is definitely worth exploring in my opinion. I felt a huge amount of freedom when I got mine, and coukd finally sleep properly at night.

Reactions: 7 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I initially posted this in a couple of threads here (didn't know I couldn't) and the extra ones got deleted but the original post stayed. I therefore think it's allowed
Well multiple posting of the same thread is definitely not allowed.

Reactions: 3 people