Petition re Continuous Blood Glucose Monitors

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you use the 100 rule to base your correction doses on?

Do look at how the pancreas gland works with beta cells and alpha cells.
Never heard of the 100 rule. All my injections are ratio based. For ex breakfast is 1U:3g of carbs. Correction is 1:2 during the day and 1:3 at night.

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never used Lantus. It was offered and I refused it. My problems with nocturnal hypos were caused by my long acting insulin. My insulin needs during the night vary and no long acting insulin can match them, so I use a pump. It sounds like the Lantus may be your problem perhaps?

If you can't face a pump, then I hope you can adjust or change your long acting insulin so that your hypos are reduced.
Hmmm interesting. I will def discuss this at my next appt at the end of this month

Reactions: 2 people

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
CGM August 15.jpg

My pump in green on the right with the pink attachment, and my cgm receiver (well, I only have it on loan from my diabetes team for a week hence why I don't have one that connects with my pump) in black on the left with the big white sensor...cgm sensor is definitely bigger, and for me personally I notice it more than my pump one, although maybe just cause I'm more used to my pump! But tbh they're not massively different.

Having said that, I appreciate why you may not want a pump; plenty of people don't, and people can (and do) manage amazingly well with MDI. Talking to your team is definitely a good plan, and looking at adjusting your base rates is probably the first point of call. Even if you can't, or you do have to eat late, or get up in the night sometimes to check your blood sugar or whatever, good diabetes management is about eliminating highs and lows in ways that suit you and your lifestyle. If you can get funding for a cgm then more power to you, and it may encourage you to try a pump, or even if not, IMO a cgm in itself is a lot of help.

Good luck and I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Rachel x

Reactions: 6 people

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 15405
My pump in green on the right with the pink attachment, and my cgm receiver (well, I only have it on loan from my diabetes team for a week hence why I don't have one that connects with my pump) in black on the left with the big white sensor...cgm sensor is definitely bigger, and for me personally I notice it more than my pump one, although maybe just cause I'm more used to my pump! But tbh they're not massively different.

Having said that, I appreciate why you may not want a pump; plenty of people don't, and people can (and do) manage amazingly well with MDI. Talking to your team is definitely a good plan, and looking at adjusting your base rates is probably the first point of call. Even if you can't, or you do have to eat late, or get up in the night sometimes to check your blood sugar or whatever, good diabetes management is about eliminating highs and lows in ways that suit you and your lifestyle. If you can get funding for a cgm then more power to you, and it may encourage you to try a pump, or even if not, IMO a cgm in itself is a lot of help.

Good luck and I hope you can find a solution that works for you. Rachel x
Thank you Rachel

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard of these before so have no experience to speak of and therefore can't say if it's a worthwhile purchase or not but stumbled on this on another thread...wonder if it might we worth a try. Anyway...see what you think. Hopefully someone who does have experience of this or similar will be able to offer a review of the product.

http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page31.html.

bernasia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not heard of these before so have no experience to speak of and therefore can't say if it's a worthwhile purchase or not but stumbled on this on another thread...wonder if it might we worth a try. Anyway...see what you think. Hopefully someone who does have experience of this or similar will be able to offer a review of the product.

http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page31.html.
Thank you @Natalie1974

iHs

Hi

Back in 2007, I bought a sweat alarm to wake me up if I went low in the night. It never woke me up if I was going low but did wake my OH. The reason being was that my bg had gone way below 2mmol and I was dead to the world as the sweating started when I was mega low.

It did alarm in baking hot weather when I was sweating in bed and unable to sleep because I was so hot but as such no good to wake me up to treat a hypo but ok to wake my OH up so that he could help me.