Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

Bryn-Jones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was offered one, accepted, but in the last 18 months it has been cancelled twice so I have never been on one but I definitely would if I got the chance. I have learnt everything relevant from these forums. To be quite honest, considering the amount of press which Diabetes type 2 has had in the last few months, the professionals seem to be quite blasé about it.

Reactions: Prem51

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest after just being diagnosed I was very happy for any local support which came in the format of a local group presented by a DN. However by the time I attended the course I'd already gleaned most of the answers from here and other sources and the fact that I was a T2 who had lost weight rather than needing to loose it made me a bit of an isolate.
The main mnessage of the course was the bog standard NHS healthy eating plate and exercise!!
It was nice to meet other recently diagnosed folk, though the script wasn't all that enlightening.

Nuck

I attended a course and never felt patronised. I wished I had gone a course in 1998, when I was diagnosed. Some of the people knew nothing and I was shocked.
With regards to mashing I agree with the nurse it is hard to guess how many potatoes went into the cream of vegetable soup if any. I now don't eat potatoes, bread, rice and pasta so I take the guessing out and avoid day time hypos.

Leanne28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in 2009, went on a dafne course in 2011, it changed my life for the better! Not only did I learn about carb counting to insulin and learning I could eat anything I want but I also got to know other type 1 diabetics and share their experiences as I knew nothing or anyone else a diabetic before this course, I recommend it

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Never been offered anything......best advice was 55 years ago when diagnosed with type 1 & spent 3 weeks in a childrens' hospital. All follow up appointments were also suffused with information which still stands me in good stead today. Also lots of info offered whilst pregnant twice. Have gone 55 years with excellent control and no complications so all that precious advice obviously did a lot of good.

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This month we're taking a look at structured diabetes education courses in the UK and how well they work.

Have you taken one since you were diagnosed? If so, how helpful did you find it, if at all?

If you haven't taken any courses - is that because you've never been offered a place, or because you just felt like you didn't need it?

Would you recommend the course(s) to any of your friends if they were to get diagnosed with diabetes?
I sm just attending EXPERT now (week 3) and find it immensely useful and informative but it gives different advice ftom my surgery nurse and doctor so more confusion. I think it would have been more useful to have been placed on this whilst I was pre-diabetic; it would have been a good wake up call. I have been waiting 9 months to go on this course from diagnosis of diabetis to date, there are not enough courses - 9 months could be the difference between losing a leg or not - and SAVE NHS money.
Yes I would recommend a friend to go on the course and I think it is rather complacent of anyone who does not attend - sure this site is good but can you ever, really have too much information about your own health?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I attended a Diabetes Awareness Course in the London Borough of Haringey last month (hence voted "Other" in the poll).

Not that helpful to me, I'm afraid. I've learned more here and by doing my own reading.

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
I just got a call about the desmond program and I'm going in January

cusally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Crowds, noisy places
I was diagnosed T2 in August and diabetic nurse put me down for a desmond course, i still havent heard anything ... a friend has already been and said it wasnt very good, so i wasnt that bothered - this forum has been so marvellous !
why isnt there an online webinar ? why no modern methods as it sounds like a scare them into submission type presentation rather than the approach we get here which is to equip us with the tools for tackling it ourselves

Reactions: Prem51 and DavyG

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
@cusally quite a good idea... a conference call would be a great way to connect people with transport and other issues that made it difficult too attend.

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was diagnosed with type 2 in may 2016. I was told pre diabetic in may 2015. Told to lose weight. No help at all. Moved so changed doctors. Given lot of help and sent on xpert course in September. Brilliant and would recommend it to anyone. Wish I could have gone on the pre diabetic course. Could have stopped me developing diabetes.

SnackoJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This month we're taking a look at structured diabetes education courses in the UK and how well they work.

Have you taken one since you were diagnosed? If so, how helpful did you find it, if at all?

If you haven't taken any courses - is that because you've never been offered a place, or because you just felt like you didn't need it?

Would you recommend the course(s) to any of your friends if they were to get diagnosed with diabetes?

For those in the Stockport area I would recommend getting a place on a SOCCER (Stockport Optimising Carbohydrate Counting, Eduction & Results) Course. Its one day a week for 4 consecutive weeks, in which you transpose your BG readings onto a graph, results are analysed and your medication reviewed. You learn about Carb counting, Hypo's, Ketoacidosis and much more. Best course I have ever been on!

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The "InSight" course run by Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, after 30 years of no info this was the best thing to happen to me since diagnosis. This course turned my life around.

Linda_N

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on the DESMOND course in 2011 just after I was diagnosed T2. They seemed more interested in how much sugar was in foods and I don't remember anything being said about carbs at all. I started on diet control for a few years, then put on Metformin which made me very ill. Switched to Glyclazide, 40mg. Recently upped to 40mg twice a day. Now trying to eat to my meter, so will see how I go, glad to have found good advice on this site.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For about a year after going on the X-PERT course, it made a real - positive - difference. Then I developed gout and it's not been at all straightforward getting that to any sort of state of being 'well managed' (and we're still a long way off). That's also meant major changes in diet, and very different ones to the changes I'd made for T2 management. As a result, I almost feel I've fallen off the wagon and could do with advice and support from someone with expertise in the demands of the two conditions.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For about a year after going on the X-PERT course, it made a real - positive - difference. Then I developed gout and it's not been at all straightforward getting that to any sort of state of being 'well managed' (and we're still a long way off). That's also meant major changes in diet, and very different ones to the changes I'd made for T2 management. As a result, I almost feel I've fallen off the wagon and could do with advice and support from someone with expertise in the demands of the two conditions.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
of what does the course consist? I'm in the US
Most of what they taught on my X-PERT course is somewhere here on this website. The significant difference for me was the experience of being part of a group (of around a dozen) learning it all. Up till then, I'd only seen my GP or a diabetes nurse on a one-to-one basis. I suddenly became aware I was part of a big community, with people of every sort. I could put my own situation into a much bigger picture.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Been on the "X-pert" course. Somewhat helpful but it took me 25 years to get on any type of course!