Type 2 Popcorn

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m type 2 and Having recently moved onto humulin m 3. I’m already taking 2000 glucophage, 320 gliclazide plus various other meds.

I’m really trying to take LCHF seriously. Slowly but surely.
No bread, no pasta, no choc, no potato, no crisps as a starting point. I’m getting fed up of scrambled eggs akready!
Popcorn has 74 g carbs per 100 g but depending on which article you read it’s good fibre , it’s not good fibre it’s about 30 g of carbs per serving ...can I have opinions please as I’m looking for ‘naughty snacks’

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure I quite understand.. are you asking if popcorn is a good snack on an LCHF diet?
Check the carb content and you will find out it is far from being good.. just over 50% carbs..

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure I quite understand.. are you asking if popcorn is a good snack on an LCHF diet?
Check the carb content and you will find out it is far from being good.. just over 50% carbs..

I’m asking for advice about snacks a normal serving of popcorn , about 4 -5 cups is around 30 g carb

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so depends on how many carbs you want to have.. but popcorn is pretty "nutrient light" so best avoided if you are limiting carbs.

Reactions: Goacher55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In fact snacks are best avoided if you can.. just eat proper meals once or twice a day.

Reactions: Goacher55

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the above, probably wouldn't recommend but I'll be honest and say I sometimes go for the small bags you get in a multi pack - salted or sweet and salted. Generally under 15g of carbs but obviously there are better snacks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't like popcorn, so aside from it's carb count I'd defo give it a miss! If you do want low carb snacks try nuts, pork scratchings, berries, one or two squares of 85% chocolate or sugar free jelly.

Reactions: ziggy_w

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another go to treat for me is the Whey hey protein ice cream I read about on the forum. Again not something to eat every day but only about 8g carbs per portion and doesn't seem to raise my BS.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes share a small bag of M&S salted popcorn with my son - it's about 6g of carb as long as you test to see what it does to you and you build it into your plan for me it's ok now and then

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat and test before and after. This will answer your question if you can tolerate pop corn.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metcalfs do a sweet and salty skinny popcorn which is 10g carbs per packet.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not the carby corn I want. It's the salt and butter!!! And not that fake butter. The Irish butter !!! I can eat it off a spoon. No need for the corn. Sorry, Ginty sound gross to some. I've learned to skip the carbs and go for what I'm after. Salt and fat. Oops

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. As a snack I often have a pot of pomegranate. 100g pot has 11 g of carb but I enjoy it and it's worth it for me.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I’m type 2 and Having recently moved onto humulin m 3. I’m already taking 2000 glucophage, 320 gliclazide plus various other meds.

I’m really trying to take LCHF seriously. Slowly but surely.
No bread, no pasta, no choc, no potato, no crisps as a starting point. I’m getting fed up of scrambled eggs akready!
Popcorn has 74 g carbs per 100 g but depending on which article you read it’s good fibre , it’s not good fibre it’s about 30 g of carbs per serving ...can I have opinions please as I’m looking for ‘naughty snacks’

I get this, @Goacher55 - just what can we munch ? Well, I have found that packets of dried bacon strips are just the job...Marks n Sparks, Sainsburys...also experiment with different kind of nuts (also good for small amount of the right kind of fats), 90% cocoa chocolate, pepperami, salami...anyway...try things and test your BS two hour after eating to see how they work for you. Give the dry bacon slices a go...feels like snack to me (zero carbs).