pre diabetes confused

sharon71

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi, my names sharon and ive been told im pre diabetic,
Hbalc =6.3% or 45mmol
i left the doctors surgery knowing i have to lose weight but thats about it so im quite overwhelmed with it all,
ive been on the internet looking into low carb diets, G.I diets and totally confused myself as to whats low carb, whats a glycemic load etc....im just wondering if anybody on here can help me with some questions and let me know if im heading in the right direction.
low carb = 100g per day?
any advice greatly recieved #
thanks

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
take a look at diet doctor.com
lot of nice recipes and also some great advice.
I try to stick to less than 30 grams carbs per day others are rather more relaxed !

read round the forum and you will soon found out lots about your new foe Mr D. and how t covert him into a friend instead !

Reactions: sharon71

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi, my names sharon and ive been told im pre diabetic,
Hbalc =6.3% or 45mmol
i left the doctors surgery knowing i have to lose weight but thats about it so im quite overwhelmed with it all,
ive been on the internet looking into low carb diets, G.I diets and totally confused myself as to whats low carb, whats a glycemic load etc....im just wondering if anybody on here can help me with some questions and let me know if im heading in the right direction.
low carb = 100g per day?
any advice greatly recieved #
thanks

Welcome @sharon71 :)

Look at the Low Carb Program link at the end of my post :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say that your weight has nothing to do with it - if you are in danger of becoming diabetic then you need to lower your blood glucose levels, not your weight.
You can be thin and diabetic, so unless you are in some danger from another cause, the thing to do us cut down your intake of carbohydrates to whatever extent you need to in order to regain normal levels.
As everyone has different requirements and different lives it will be easiest to see how you are doing day by day if you get a blood glucose meter and see how different meals or different foods affect you - and also get a notebook to jot down the percentage of carbs in different foods. It is on the back of the packet - those traffic lights on the front only show sugar, and it is the actual net carbs you need to know.
By testing your blood just before and two hours after starting to eat you can see what pushes up your blood glucose levels and then you can adjust and retry. After a while you don't need to test as much as you know the safe foods and amounts, so only when you try something new do you need to check.