Pre diabetic and dodgy thyroid !

YvonneS55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone,
Well, my story begins with me having half my thyroid removed due to a goitre last December. Advised thyroid was working so no need for any medication. After 6 months I was feeling tired, no energy, put on weight etc so went to GP for a check up. Had blood tests and even though my thyroid function wasn't working as well it was still within the NHS range. However, they informed me i was pre diabetic and was just over at 43. I have read a lot on this site and have now been on the LCHF diet for a week and have found it quite easy to stick to, however, my weight hasn't changed at all. My GP has referred me to the NHS Diabetes scheme but how can they expect me to loose weight to get my prediabetes under control when my thyroid isn't functioning properly. ? I'm confused!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tell them that you´ll probably get normal blood glucose if your thyroid levels come back at the level it used to be at

being low in thyroid hormones with a slower metabolism is unfortunately an ideal basis for creating a prediabetic state in one's body and can easily develop into full blown diabetes as well over time