Pregnancy and an awkward job

SugarCyborg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, has anyone got any insight into coping with being a pregnant T1 in a work place where it's difficult to deal with ups and downs? I have to be sat in a certain place at a certain time with full concentration on what I'm doing. Dealing with a high or low is difficult at the best of times. The prospected of an even smaller margin for error makes me wonder if I should just sack off work for the duration even though I love it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @SugarCyborg
welcome to the forum:)

your employers have a duty of care to you as an employee-- it is not all down to you to "conform".

you need to look after yourself being pregnant - have you discussed your requirements at all with your employer to see if there are any alternatives for your work schedule during your pregnancy ??

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do your employers know that you are pregnant? That can make a difference. When I was pregnant and like you were sat concentrating on work, I quite often felt sick in the early days but my work mates were great and bought me ginger biscuits to help when I felt rough, I think as I was still present and trying to do my job counted for a lot and some allowances need to be taken into account for you, you shouldn't have to give up as you are probably more than capable between all the ups and downs! Good luck and try to find a way as you I'm sure you can still do your job at the moment, but be kind to yourself!

Reactions: himtoo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, has anyone got any insight into coping with being a pregnant T1 in a work place where it's difficult to deal with ups and downs? I have to be sat in a certain place at a certain time with full concentration on what I'm doing. Dealing with a high or low is difficult at the best of times. The prospected of an even smaller margin for error makes me wonder if I should just sack off work for the duration even though I love it.

I worked full time during my last pregnancy. I just explained that I needed to take frequent breaks to test/eat/correct. Nobody said anything.

If you're working in a job where you're on 'public show' it can be harder to stop to deal with sugars but if you need to you need to.its no different than having to deal with nausea in that way so don't feel bad about it. You and baby come first : )

Reactions: himtoo