Proactive GP

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to my GP today as I have a recurring issue with reflux and associated pain....

First thing she said was wow James you've slimmed down how much have you lost.... 15 kilo I said, lightest I've been all my adult life....

I explained that I've been low carb for a few months now but yes I was concerned about the amount of weight loss and nausea I get from the reflux.... She was actually very supportive of LCHF and said I've done myself a favour losing so much weight as I now qualify for a load of tests.

She then set the alarm bells ringing and scared the life out of me by ordering me to undergo a load of tests...

Tomorrow morning I have to report to the local hospital for following blood tests:

Creatinine
Liver profile
thyroid function
CRP
A1C
FBC
Ferritin
H. Pylori
Amylase
GAD
C-Peptide

I've also been referred for urgent Endoscopy and liver, gallbladder and pancreas scans.

Scared the life out of me she did, but I suppose I'll get to the bottom of it all this way.

Jo123

Hi James, she sounds very thorough. I cannot lie I would be worried too.

However on the positive side you have lost weight through low carbing, she might not have realised how strict you have been and the weight loss on its own may be a big red flag to her.
A friend of mine had similar symptoms to you and it was H. Pylori, he also had an urgent endoscopy. All fine now.

So try not to worry, although easier said than done.

Reactions: Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James, she sounds very thorough. I cannot lie I would be worried too.

However on the positive side you have lost weight through low carbing, she might not have realised how strict you have been and the weight loss on its own may be a big red flag to her.
A friend of mine had similar symptoms to you and it was H. Pylori, he also had an urgent endoscopy. All fine now.

So try not to worry, although easier said than done.
I cannot lie, I'm bricking it.... But as she said, it could be anything.

Will have to wait and see I guess.

Yes, she was thorough and she did say the weight loss was the trigger.... I wouldn't have got these tests without it.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jamesuk9 . So many times I see posts here from people complaining that GP's have let them down, and constantly berating the entire NHS. I think you're lucky to have a GP who is concerned about your welfare.
Obviously your success at weight loss and making effort to help yourself has impressed your GP.
Good luck with the tests.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamesuk9 . So many times I see posts here from people complaining that GP's have let them down, and constantly berating the entire NHS. I think you're lucky to have a GP who is concerned about your welfare.
Obviously your success at weight loss and making effort to help yourself has impressed your GP.
Good luck with the tests.
Thanks so much for your kind words...

She was impressed with the way I've managed both my glucose and BP issues and my knowledge of my own issues.

She is actually quite brilliant and very astute and caring.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

She was impressed with the way I've managed both my glucose and BP issues and my knowledge of my own issues.

Hi James. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling very unsettled by your GP's reaction.

I'd urge you to see her reaction is very positive, in that had she requested one of two tests, which turned out to be not helpful, or inconclusive the limbo could have been longer than necessary.

Hopefully, your tests will show up something very easily remedied.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling very unsettled by your GP's reaction.

I'd urge you to see her reaction is very positive, in that had she requested one of two tests, which turned out to be not helpful, or inconclusive the limbo could have been longer than necessary.

Hopefully, your tests will show up something very easily remedied.
Thanks, very appreciated.

I'm just a doom and gloom worrier.... Health anxiety gets me every time.

Still, that said, I'll never get well without knowing I guess.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, very appreciated.

I'm just a doom and gloom worrier.... Health anxiety gets me every time.

Still, that said, I'll never get well without knowing I guess.

I can understand that, but at least this way, the period of uncertainty, which os often soooooo much worse than the reality, is time limited. One of my personal mantras is, "Knowledge is power", feeling that whatever is on the table, I can make a plan. Limbo is far worse, in my world.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sounds like you have a great doc.. can we borrow her sometime?
Hope all goes well with tests.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful woman! And thorough. And sensible.

She's a treasure :)

And hopefully all those tests will show what is going on.

:)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You have done so well and earned the additional tests. Last week I sent a letter to my surgery asking them to restore the full compliment of tests they used to provide. Thumbs up to you and your Doctor.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to my GP today as I have a recurring issue with reflux and associated pain....

First thing she said was wow James you've slimmed down how much have you lost.... 15 kilo I said, lightest I've been all my adult life....

I explained that I've been low carb for a few months now but yes I was concerned about the amount of weight loss and nausea I get from the reflux.... She was actually very supportive of LCHF and said I've done myself a favour losing so much weight as I now qualify for a load of tests.

She then set the alarm bells ringing and scared the life out of me by ordering me to undergo a load of tests...

Tomorrow morning I have to report to the local hospital for following blood tests:

Creatinine
Liver profile
thyroid function
CRP
A1C
FBC
Ferritin
H. Pylori
Amylase
GAD
C-Peptide

I've also been referred for urgent Endoscopy and liver, gallbladder and pancreas scans.

Scared the life out of me she did, but I suppose I'll get to the bottom of it all this way.

Yes that is daunting isn't it. I've had all of those tests done too... as you can see in my signature I have GI problems also. Although like your GP, mine keeps tabs on my liver and kidney function, my iron and vitamin levels, sugar level, etc. I think I'm due another lot of tests shortly. I hope the results of these tests are ok for you and you don't have any further issues. In regard to reflux I've basically been taking PPI's for years now. They tried pulling me off them about 5 times but each time I'd get real bad within a week or so after coming off. I wish you the best :)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I feel your pain James. I have health anxiety ... with me it's the not knowing, when you're waiting around for tests/results, that drives me insane.. I always think it's better to know, then you know where you stand and can be proactive You look as though you're a fairly young fellow in your picture so I would think it unlikely that you have anything serious going on. Your weight loss is the 'red flag' to the doctor along with the reflux symptoms, hence the scans etc. Most of the blood tests you list are ones I have every three months - she is checking to see if your thyroid is overactive which would cause weight loss as well as checking you for Type 1/LADA as well as the H-pylori which can cause the reflux and is fixed with anti biotics. I am assuming you were intending to lose weight with the LCHF diet. It's unintentional weight loss that would be a concern, but that could be caused by overactive thyroid or diabetes. She seems a very good GP and is leaving no stone unturned which is what you want.

I hope it all goes well .. FWIW I used to get the most awful reflux/heartburn. Had an endoscopy and all good. Let us know how you get on.

Lesley

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for the support.

I'm about to embark on the blood tests once I've finished my coffee.

It was a combination of things in hindsight that set the alarm bells ringing with the GP. Nausea waking me up every morning and taking hours to subside, I've had this for years and put it down to the silent reflux I wasn't really aware of at the time. The pain I get in my stomach and back when the reflux is playing up.

15 kilo weight loss in 6 months, of which 3 have been LCHF, I wasnt overweight to start with at 25 BMI, I'm now down to 21 BMI with 2.5 stone loss but have managed to maintain with no further loss for about 4 weeks. Also the fact that I am never hungry and can go a few days without food.

None of this is normal she claims.

Reactions: Mep

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick update, all blood results in except H Pylori and GAD which apparently take a little longer.

So far, all within normal parameters.

Hba1c down from 38 to 34 (5.6 - 5.3), so mySugr was spot on in its estimation.

Still waiting to hear from hospital for endoscopy and scans.

Reactions: kumera and BeccyB

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
........ but I suppose I'll get to the bottom of it all this way.

If the endoscopy gets to your bottom then its gone too far! Sudden weight loss is one sign that GP's are trained to react to (like Pavlov's dog) I am in similar position myself bu my weight is steady.