Proactive GP

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the endoscopy gets to your bottom then its gone too far! Sudden weight loss is one sign that GP's are trained to react to (like Pavlov's dog) I am in similar position myself bu my weight is steady.

I've actually managed to hold weight steady for 4 weeks and then I gained 3 lb last week by increasing calories.

I thought I was wasting away at one stage, I need to gain another 3 or 4 kilos for sure.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another update, had ultrasound on kidneys, liver, gallbladder, spleen and pancreas today, nothing of any concern found.

Just endoscopy to go now.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got the official consultant report from my scans today.

Kidneys, Liver, Spleen, gallbladder, pancreas and Aortic section all appear normal in size and structure and nothing raising any suspicion found.

Given that all of my many blood tests have all come back within normal parameters too I am now questioning whether I want to put myself through the stress of an invasive endoscopy next Tuesday.

The reflux is doing my head in but im not sure and endoscopy is actually going to solve anything.

Im scared too, so maybe I just want an excuse for a way out..

Dilemma's.......

Reactions: Hotpepper20000

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got the official consultant report from my scans today.

Kidneys, Liver, Spleen, gallbladder, pancreas and Aortic section all appear normal in size and structure and nothing raising any suspicion found.

Given that all of my many blood tests have all come back within normal parameters too I am now questioning whether I want to put myself through the stress of an invasive endoscopy next Tuesday.

The reflux is doing my head in but im not sure and endoscopy is actually going to solve anything.

Im scared too, so maybe I just want an excuse for a way out..

Dilemma's.......

Good news on all you tests :)
Go for your endoscopy .. or you will be forever wondering what the result would be ..it will be over before you know. I think the build up and waiting is the worst.

Reactions: Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news on all you tests :)
Go for your endoscopy .. or you will be forever wondering what the result would be ..it will be over before you know. I think the build up and waiting is the worst.

You're probably right, fear is gripping me thinking about the procedure.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My husband has recently had an endoscopy and took the recommended light sedation option. He says that at the time he just felt like he was dreaming and now remembers very little about it.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has recently had an endoscopy and took the recommended light sedation option. He says that at the time he just felt like he was dreaming and now remembers very little about it.

I won't be sedated unfortunately. Commitments for the rest of that day dictate that it's not an option.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I won't be sedated unfortunately. Commitments for the rest of that day dictate that it's not an option.

Ah! Just spoke to Mr C and he said he wouldn't do it without the sedation - couldn't you rearrange it for another not so busy day? Or rearrange the other things?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah! Just spoke to Mr C and he said he wouldn't do it without the sedation - couldn't you rearrange it for another not so busy day? Or rearrange the other things?

I dont see that sedation will help me that much, im just going to have to man up and get it done rather than prolong it. I spoke to the receptionist at my doctors earlier and she had it done without sedation and basically said if I can do it anyone can.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are we talking about the top endoscopy or *polite cough* bottom endoscopy?? Mr C had the lower one..... hence the need for the sedation.

As we were waiting in a little room after he'd got changed in to a very fetching white robe thingy, a lovely nurse came in and burst out laughing because he had put it on the wrong way around. Then they wouldn't let him go home until he had 'passed wind' and his upbringing was that its not polite to do that sort of thing in front of strange women. We were there ages until it was explained to him what everyone was standing around waiting for and he had to ask for the female nurse to leave the room before letting rip.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe the relaxant on the oral pathway is to reduce the automatic reaction to urge, puke or otherwise retch while the tube is inserted. This spoils the pictures, and can cause choking.

Last edited:

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are we talking about the top endoscopy or *polite cough* bottom endoscopy?? Mr C had the lower one..... hence the need for the sedation.

As we were waiting in a little room after he'd got changed in to a very fetching white robe thingy, a lovely nurse came in and burst out laughing because he had put it on the wrong way around. Then they wouldn't let him go home until he had 'passed wind' and his upbringing was that its not polite to do that sort of thing in front of strange women. We were there ages until it was explained to him what everyone was standing around waiting for and he had to ask for the female nurse to leave the room before letting rip.

Top one, I think I'd cope with the rear end a lot easier as I dont breath through it just talk through it occasionally.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Then they wouldn't let him go home until he had 'passed wind' and his upbringing was that its not polite to do that sort of thing in front of strange women. We were there ages until it was explained to him what everyone was standing around waiting for and he had to ask for the female nurse to leave the room before letting rip.

I didn't get the same amount of privacy but having had several "investigations" I've learned to got to the bathroom and do what has to be done. I caused quite a stir on one occasion, seems they listen out when you visit the bathroom, they weren't prepared for the volume, nor was I come to think of it. Their jaws were on the ground when I emerged from the bathroom. I'm pleased to say that at my last "investigation" they used CO2 which is absorbed by the body better and doesn't cause the same "bloated" "full of gas" problem.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the endoscopy today, not an experienced I want to repeat without anaesthetic.

Mild duodenitis in the anterior bulb is all that was found. Biopsy taken to rule out helicobacter Pylori infection.

Nothing sinister found or suspected.

Discharged with instructions to use Gaviscon or PPI when needed in future. I've managed without so far so won't bother for now.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the endoscopy today, not an experienced I want to repeat without anaesthetic.

Mild duodenitis in the anterior bulb is all that was found. Biopsy taken to rule out helicobacter Pylori infection.

Nothing sinister found or suspected.

Discharged with instructions to use Gaviscon or PPI when needed in future. I've managed without so far so won't bother for now.
Most PPI meds inhibit the absorption of iron and/or Vit B and Vit C since it reduces acidity of the stomach. Suppose Gaviscon and other antacids do this too, but PPI gets prescribed daily not just occasionally.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most PPI meds inhibit the absorption of iron and/or Vit B and Vit C since it reduces acidity of the stomach. Suppose Gaviscon and other antacids do this too, but PPI gets prescribed daily not just occasionally.

I won't be taking them anyway, I've managed thus far with a bit of Gaviscon when needed which isn't often.