Pump failings

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m on the Omnipod and this week I’ve had 2 pods leak out the majority of my lunchtime bolus and one that didn’t leak but didn’t deliver. Resulting in sugars of 20 less than an hour after!

I’m very well controlled and I know it isn’t a carb ratio/basal issue!

When this happens, with the help of raging hormones, it takes forever to get back to a reasonable level and it really makes me panic!!!

Guess I just needed somewhere to rant! It’s so frustrating! I have phoned Omnipod and they are phoning me back on Monday.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tweety88 i know if I have an issue and hit 20+ that it takes me at least half a day to get control again - I think the frustration I get stems from the fact that I take so much care to maintain control that once it starts to spiral upwards I feel so deflated, I feel your pain.

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @Juicyj! It really does stress me out! And it seems to be taking me longer when pregnant to regain control, a time when control is vital! I’m thinking now if I have a pump failing I may correct with a pen to try bring it down a little faster instead of correcting with the new pod. X

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes using your pen @Tweety88 is the best idea, can you speak to your DSN and change pumps ? I would reccomed this as you've had 2 pump issues in one week.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Can you see it ""leaking out?". If so you need to be able to take pen dose and then swop pod???

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not really @donnellysdogs it can leak underneath to begin with before becoming obvious at the front! Occasionally I have noticed it at the front and done just that, but I can usually smell insulin if it’s leaking... Theo my trouble is with a growing baby belly the pods are getting further away from my nose!

@Juicyj I’m not sure I want to change pumps, I love the freedom of the Omnipod and that’s the only reason I finally went on a pump because it’s less invasive and There’s no wires x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Tweety88 i have the cannula version but can honestly say it’s no issue at all as long as it’s tucked into the pump belt then it doesn’t get in the way, I use sure tvsteel cannulas and manually insert them and since using sure t i’ve had maybe 1 or 2 pump issues but site issues rather than cannula sets,if it were me and it meant having a higher success rate then i’d opt for it as the frustration with failures would put me off x

Reactions: donnellysdogs