Question to those old enough to be eligible for current Covid booster vaccine

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This morning the only vaccine on offer was Spikevax (made by Moderna). Yet, when I checked on the NHS website a few weeks ago, the NHS website said that there would be two vaccines, Moderna and Pfizer.
I would be interested to know which of the two vaccines has been on offer in your areas?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where do you find that out?
Finding the information is a problem. When I booked my vaccination through phoning 119, the operator said that he was not allowed to make appointments for a specific vaccine, just appointments. I went for my vaccination this morning. The pharmacist said that, as far as he knew, all the local vaccination hubs only had Spikevax (Moderna). This is in N.E. Hampshire.

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in Australia and have booked a booster for later this week. When booking on the website, I could choose between Pfizer and Moderna (both monovalent Omicron XBB.1.5). I don't know if that will be the case in practice. Last booster I think I remember the pharmacist asking if I'd be happy to take the brand I didn't choose, which I was.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is one better than the other? I haven’t given it much thought, I just turn up and I’m thankful I‘m getting a booster, is that naive of me? :nailbiting: :nurse:

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and lessci

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
My 93 year old dad had his today (Hampshire or Wiltshire) and it was Pfizer omicron (latest mix), or so my brother believes.

• Informative
Reactions: ElenaP

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a Moderna Spikevax jab. Afterwards I had an uncomfortable shivery night and felt off colour next day.
After the last jab, which was Astra Zeneca, I felt ill and tired for a week. But then my chemotherapy hadn't kicked in fully at that point so perhaps it's not surprising.

• Informative
Reactions: Omar51 and ElenaP

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a Moderna Spikevax jab. Afterwards I had an uncomfortable shivery night and felt off colour next day.
After the last jab, which was Astra Zeneca, I felt ill and tired for a week. But then my chemotherapy hadn't kicked in fully at that point so perhaps it's not surprising.

I just got the latest Pfizer latest, no major issues. In California some pharmacies carry Pfizer and some Moderna. There was a choice, I got all Pfizer’s and so far working out good for me!

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Astra Zeneca has just withdrawn their Covid vaccine today after they recently admitted they cause blood clots - although this was actually known a couple of years ago but kept quiet. AZ say the vaccines have been withdrawn for 'commercial reasons'.