Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I vaguely remember Michael Moseley interviewing a man in America who was low carbing. As they spoke the man was preparing a huge bowl of mixed salad leaves and the last ingredient to go in was apple peel. He peeled the apple put the peel in the salad and the flesh in the bin.

My question is this, would the peel be a way to get a little roughage into my diet? I eat salad every day but find that it helps little with erm... you see my problem?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I vaguely remember Michael Moseley interviewing a man in America who was low carbing. As they spoke the man was preparing a huge bowl of mixed salad leaves and the last ingredient to go in was apple peel. He peeled the apple put the peel in the salad and the flesh in the bin.

My question is this, would the peel be a way to get a little roughage into my diet? I eat salad every day but find that it helps little with erm... you see my problem?

The 'erm' problem can usually be resolved with one or all of the following - psyllium husks, magnesium supplement, 5 prunes twice a day, increased water intake, exercise, and for some people coffee works well. I would start small (not do all at once because the 'erm' could develop, suddenly, into an OMG problem and we wouldn't want that. Interestingly the prunes seem not to affect BG at all at least for me but, as always, test for yourself and good luck.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The 'erm' problem can usually be resolved with one or all of the following - psyllium husks, magnesium supplement, 5 prunes twice a day, increased water intake, exercise, and for some people coffee works well. I would start small (not do all at once because the 'erm' could develop, suddenly, into an OMG problem and we wouldn't want that. Interestingly the prunes seem not to affect BG at all at least for me but, as always, test for yourself and good luck.

Thanks. I wanted something natural. My water intake is good, I cannot excercise and prunes are the food of Beelzebub! I can't have caffeine but have started taking decaf coffee which has had no effect on the erm.
Before dx I would have had half a bag of Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts which always worked if not a few Fig Rolls but they are a no no now.

Reactions: TIANDB

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes

It may work with apple peel ? 2g 0f Fiber in a medium apple peel 5g of Carbs. ( 3g Fiber and 17g Carb in a whole Medium apple )
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...eel-only-red-golden-gala-granny-fuji-48217018
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/apples-raw-with-skin-354859505
Flax seeds are renowned to assist ? just put a teaspoon in your whatever ?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/548127410
Desiccated coconut has a high fiber content a teaspoon in your whatever maybe ?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...d-coconut-correct-feb-16-sainsburys-517100121
Will add. Chia seeds have a V good fiber content also.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/chia-seeds-1-tbsp-517137629

Best luck..

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It may work ? 2g 0f Fiber in a medium apple peel 5g of Carbs. ( 3g F and 17g Carb in a whole M apple )
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...eel-only-red-golden-gala-granny-fuji-48217018
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/apples-raw-with-skin-354859505
Flax seeds are renowned to assist ? just put a teaspoon in your whatever ?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/548127410
Desiccated coconut has a high fiber content a teaspoon in your whatever maybe ?
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...d-coconut-correct-feb-16-sainsburys-517100121

Best luck..

Thank you. I just need to make sure that there is an XL son about who will eat the flesh, the Northern in me wouldn't allow me to waste the flesh!

Reactions: TIANDB

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat your greens?? Broccoli, sprouts,kale, etc, are all ghigh in fibre. Also avocados, berries, nuts & seeds, flax, chia...Check online Google will give you lists of varies categories of high fibre foods, and you can pick and choose the ones acceptable for you carbwise. No real need to waste a good apple!

I find an extra dose of nuts plus enough fat usually does the trick if needs be.

Robbity
PS two that I've always considered good roughage - celery and rhubarb - aren't actually all that high in fibre...:wideyed:

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Eat your greens?? Broccoli, sprouts,kale, etc, are all ghigh in fibre. Also avocados, berries, nuts & seeds, flax, chia...Check online Google whavn't tried is rhubarbive you lists of varies categories of high fibre foods, and you can pick and choose the ones acceptable for you carbwise. No real need to waste a good apple!

I find an extra dose of nuts plus enough fat usually does the trick if needs be.

Robbity
PS two that I've always considered good roughage - celery and rhubarb - aren't actually all that high in fibre...:wideyed:
I regularly eat all of the things you listed, every day I have a mixture of greens. Celery occasionally spread with a little peanut butter is a nice snack. The only one in your list that I havn't tried is rhubarb which I would have to wait for as it is not in season here. Worth bearing it in mind for the future, thanks.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wow I absolutely think thats a great idea and I may do this! they say alot of the nutrients are in the peel anyway :) fab , thanks for sharing this.

I need oats to go to the loo well, otherwise my "movements" are so hard they make me bleed :( I tried no starchy foods but no go. I also add ground flaxseeds to yogurt

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
wow I absolutely think thats a great idea and I may do this! they say alot of the nutrients are in the peel anyway :) fab , thanks for sharing this.

I need oats to go to the loo well, otherwise my "movements" are so hard they make me bleed :( I tried no starchy foods but no go. I also add ground flaxseeds to yogurt

I can't tolerate oats. The flaxseeds are something I only add to soups and stews, the same with the chia seeds. I, too, have the same problem re bleeding though this was before LCHF, it isn't that bad these days. You have my sympathies.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No need for hard movements, even if they have been stacked up inside getting harder and harder for days, as can happen. I use glycerol suppositories, also know as stool softeners. They could be considered natural as they are made from peanut oil. I am very happy with the control this gives me, as well as the comfort. No more waiting around for something to happen before going out for a run. They can be got on prescription or over the counter.

NB these are not the same as enemas.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
have you tried to see if 1/2 cup of granola would be ok ? I use deliciously ellas original brand as it is ok for me but I know we are all different I have it over full fat goat yogurt and add a few blueberries. I obviously only get no added sugar stuff

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No need for hard movements, even if they have been stacked up inside getting harder and harder for days, as can happen. I use glycerol suppositories, also know as stool softeners. They could be considered natural as they are made from peanut oil. I am very happy with the control this gives me, as well as the comfort. No more waiting around for something to happen before going out for a run. They can be got on prescription or over the counter.

NB these are not the same as enemas.

I personally dont want to rely on things like that to go

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
have you tried to see if 1/2 cup of granola would be ok ? I use deliciously ellas original brand as it is ok for me but I know we are all different I have it over full fat goat yogurt and add a few blueberries. I obviously only get no added sugar stuff

I used to love Jordans granola but the spikes are just too high. I never have foods with sweeteners in them but this is a personal choice that I made long before dx.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I personally don't want to have to use insulin, but it's good to know it's there should I need it.

umm, that is not the same thing at all, lol. There are different diet ways to try making going to loo normal not having to use suppositories , personally that is not my idae of a healthy diet if I would need laxatives or as mentioned suppositories. Our health starts in our gut after all

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to love Jordans granola but the spikes are just too high. I never have foods with sweeteners in them but this is a personal choice that I made long before dx.

I am all natural in my life as much as possible so I avoid sweetners at all costs :) I just find the added fat helps slow the spike , my nutritionist recommended adding fat to things like that. Porridge with butter and cinnamon for example maybe some added chopped nuts too :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am all natural in my life as much as possible so I avoid sweetners at all costs :) I just find the added fat helps slow the spike , my nutritionist recommended adding fat to things like that. Porridge with butter and cinnamon for example maybe some added chopped nuts too :)

I have lots of fats in my diet which is filled with whole foods. I have fatty cuts of meat, lots of butter and cream etc it is not the lack of fats, I'm certain. We are all unique so I just have to find a preferably natural solution. I have Laxido at home but would much rather not use it as I am trying to cut down on that type of stuff.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
umm, that is not the same thing at all, lol. There are different diet ways to try making going to loo normal not having to use suppositories , personally that is not my idae of a healthy diet if I would need laxatives or as mentioned suppositories. Our health starts in our gut after all
I find trying to eat low carb AND a healthy variety quite challenging enough without also having to worry about extra fibre for my bowels. For those of you who can eat granola without spiking and without going over your carb budget, fine, go for it, but I can't.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly eat all of the things you listed, every day I have a mixture of greens. Celery occasionally spread with a little peanut butter is a nice snack. The only one in your list that I havn't tried is rhubarb which I would have to wait for as it is not in season here. Worth bearing it in mind for the future, thanks.

Farm Foods have frozen ready sliced rhubarb at £1 for 750g. Just defrost as much as you need. I love mine with full fat yogurt :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Farm Foods have frozen ready sliced rhubarb at £1 for 750g. Just defrost as much as you need. I love mine with full fat yogurt :)
Thanks, Daisy, will send out for some. Yummy with fresh cream.

Reactions: daisyduck