Re-using needles / changing injection location

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Needle Reuse?

I don't reuse needles for the reasons covered in this thread, I was told not to reuse them by the nurse too. I don't reuse lancets either, the couple of times I have reused them (because there wasn't enough blood the first time) it hurt more than with a new one, I suppose because it was blunt.

p.s. You sig thinks my iPad is a Mac!

yogirajj

Dislikes
Diabetic know-it-all(s)!!
Recycling Your Syringes And Lancets???

There is much debate amongst the various diabetic online communities, as to whether or not it’s ok to reuse your syringes and lancets. I truly sympathize with diabetics that are seriously struggling financially, and can’t afford their supplies, however, it is not medically safe to reuse syringes. Our blood naturally has pathogens (disease causing bacteria); once a needle has been inserted in to the skin (for longer than a second or two) the needle is now considered a bio-hazard, and or contaminant. When ever possible, its important to use a brand new needle at all times. Reusing a needle is like using the bathroom without washing your hands.

Once the used needle is out of the skin & exposed to air, the contaminants grows and gets stronger. There are no white blood cells present to fight off those pathogens, therefore, if you reuse your needles, your potentially reinfecting yourself with stronger pathogens/bacteria, and the body has to work harder to fight them off.

Both syringes and pen needles have special anti-bacterial lubricants, that allows for a smoother and less painful entry. Reusing needles will eventually loose this special coding. Both needles will also eventually become dull and jagged at the tips. Once the tips are bent because of over use, you will potentially cause bruising, in addition to the infection that may be caused by the now overly contaminated needle.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I don't use needles but I only change my lancets when they hurt. I read on one of the links given that you should change lancets every week. My DN said I would probably never need to change my lancet :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Daisy.
I use the Accu-Chek multiclix which has a rotating sealed drum containing 6 lancets. I use one of those a week and test anything from 4 - 12 times daily dpeneding on the circumstances. My fingers don't hurt, neither are they bruised or 'fragile'.

Lancet's only prick just below the surface of the skin so they are not so important as a needle which can go between 4 and 12mm into your body. It is after all.....only a pinprick. I suck it and it stops....that's it. The lancets can get blunt but I have never had a problem using the method I do. Whatever you believe is right has to be the correct way.

I ceratinly don't agree with what your DN said though........YUK !

Ken

linpat

Hi everyone

Re-used needles couple of days or more for 29 years and inject different part of belly as much s I can remember where was last? and never had a problem. I think this scare is to make more mney out of us!!

Take care