Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Call it a blip, lass. Tomorrow is another day and as time passes it will get easier. None of us recently diagnosed sail through the first few weeks/months without giving in especially those with families for whom the abundance of tasty, carb filled yummies seem to surround us at every turn. I no longer resent my family for walking in chomping on Cornettos (one of my favourites) or Walkers crisps. Well, maybe resent the crisps, just a little, just for a few minutes... lol
You have done well and you will do well again.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you need are diversionary foodstuffs, to ensure you can avoid the carbs.
In my fridge I have salad - lots of different things, packs of cream cheese, creamy coleslaw, eggs and cheese, mayonnaise, oil and wine vinegar dressing - usually there is cold meat, the freezer is full of protein rolls, fish and meat - If I come in and want to eat I have so much I could eat and still be 'safe' - there are frozen berries to go with the pots of cream in the fridge and I would normally have a bowl of sugar free jelly made up, or a pot of Greek yoghurt which I like to eat with dessicated coconut stirred into it and left for a few minutes for the flavour to develop. I mix it and then make myself a cup of real coffee.
Be a bit selfish - have the things you like ready for eating, even if some things might be wasted from time to time.
I keep thinking of making some real icecream for myself - cream and eggs made into a custard and cooled, whipped and frozen. I haven't done it yet - but I could.
We don't deserve to be faced with foods we should not eat, we should have an abundance of the foods we need.
After a while you might just find that 'ordinary' foods are just plain unappetising, after so much of the good stuff.

Reactions: heh and ziggy_w
S

serenity648

You could maybe do with making a strategy for when the muchies bite you? Is there anything non-food that you could do as a treat instead, like long hot soak in the bath, or a favourite film? You did really well to resist when you did.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @licklemoose ..
You are only craving bad foods because you are a victim of the food industry's brainwashing over many years. You have been told .. and now believe .. that you really need to eat xxx (whatever) because it's tasty, healthy, nutritious good for you or whatever.
The truth is, though, that as well as (or as a result of) being brainwashed for most of your life, you have become addicted: addicted to feeling comfortable and closeted when you eat, addicted to the (false) notion that the food industry is "looking after your health", addicted to dealing with food as a "treat" and, worst of all, addicted to sugar .. carbohydrates = sugar.

Sorry about my rant but this is not a criticism of you .. if anything it's about the food industry's grossly irresponsible choices, practices and behaviour in putting profit before people's health. Just consider, for instance, how the concept of healthy living has become inextricably entwined with the myriad low-fat and no-fat products on the shelves of every supermarket in the land. Then consider the real issue, which is that as the food industry removes "fat" from these products for our "benefit", they add in sugar to preserve the taste that they have created for us ..

Anyway, enough ranting. My advice is don't beat yourself up about an odd blip. Take a positive stance and follow the highly sensible, highly practical and highly effective advice set out above by @Resurgam .. it obviously works for her and, FWIW, I follow the same sort of system and it works for me ..
Hope this helps

Reactions: Liam1955

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a few treats that I can eat without spiking my results. Hartleys sugar free ready made jelly pots, I always keep in the cupboard, they are virtually carb free. I can also eat a meringue nest with strawberries and cream with dinner. Another thing is virtually carb free milk shakes made from unsweetened almond milk and no added sugar Crusha milkshake syrup. 25g of mixed nuts (approx 6g of carbs) or a packet of Pomme Bears (9g of carb as opposed to 14ish for standard crisps) are good for savoury cravings. I keep them all in the kitchen just in case!

Last edited:

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
thanks everyone
i know i can do it, i have no choice really
ill stock up on salad cheese and meats tomorrow and hopefully get it all prepped and in the fridge, ill grab some eggs and bacon and make a no crust quiche with mushrooms peppers and bacon topped with cheese
might grab some nuts too but once i start on them theres no stopping me
i crochet and that does stop me eating as i get so involved in it i forget to eat (and drink)
a long soak in a hot bath.........whats that? lol its a quick dip in this house or else theres a kid banging the door screaming that so and so has done something
i think ill pick up a 12 week journal tomorrow at slimming world, write everything down and glucose readings before and after so then i can look back and see what i can and cant eat
pasta is a big one for me as i used to make up lots of pasta meals that could be eaten cold and they would be my go to foods with salads
i guess its like anything new.......it takes time
i go for bloods wednesday so will be interested to see what my hba1c is

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
last few days have been awful
im craving bad foods and giving in to them
yesterday had a bbq at daughters, i had sausages in a protien roll and salad
got home with all the leftovers and ate a tonne of buttered white crusty rolls
then had cake last night
today i had cheese twists from lidl, choc wafers and pasta
im never going to get better at this rate
feeling pretty ****** right now
Don't worry @licklemoose, we all have our bad days. It is a part of the process of getting accustomed to a new and difficult lifestyle. I went through this only recently and paid dearly for it. Chin up!

Last edited: