Rebolusing?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening everyone! Ok so i have few questions ....
1) Ok so I use a rapid acting insulin (Apidra) that peaks in an hour and is fully out of blood stream within 4 hours.... If i want to eat a carby snack before these 4 hours are over (or if i decide to eat more that i bolused for in the middle of the meal) Do i just inject more units to cover carbs and eat ? Or do i have to wait the full 4 hours to reinject? .....
2) What are best sites for injecting Apidra or rapid acting insulin in general

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3) How much you usually bolus for white boiled pasta with no dressings? I got so many carb numbers from different websites and it's confusing

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there yes inject for the carbs you eat don’t wait the 4 hours as your levels will go sky rocket. Best place is your tummy so pinch and inch and inject:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How much you inject is down to your carb insulin ratio we cannot advise you on that as we are all different and not able to give you medical advice - use ‘carb and cals’ to look up carb content of foods.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Juicy! I didn't mean to eat then take insulin after! I just meant if i just bolused for a meal and i'm eating and then i want to add more carbs to my meal do i inject and eat? Or is it just better to finish my meal and inject/eat after 4 hours?

And yes i know i use a ratio of 1unit /15 grams but not sure how much carbs white pasta contain and just wanted to see what's the best count for pasta according to their experiences! Thanks!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're new at this do what Juicyj said: just eat XX grams of carbs, take the Apidra, and see what happens. Don't change the plan midway through. And if you get an inkling you're getting low check and correct. Look into the glycemic index of carbs. Pineapple's different than strawberries believe it or not. Lean toward low glycemic. Unless you're low. Then get your mits on about 4 KitKat bars and GO FOR IT DUDE! Just kidding.

Last edited:
Reactions: abdulrahmanbakr
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also when i inject on my tummy (I know i should avoid muscles .... I'm a medical student lol ) it hurts so much!!! I used all types of pen needles it still hurts... But hurts less on my thigh.... Any advices?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TheBigNewt YES white kitkat please haha! What did you mean by not change the plan midway? So i can't just reinject in the midfle of the meal if i decide suddenly to eat more? (P.s I'm not a foody person so i always underestimate what I'm going to eat and sometimes end up hungry)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @abdulrahmanbakr

The point to using quick acting is to match the insulin to the carbs eaten, so for anything that passes your lips take a bolus injection so YES inject again if you add more carbs to your plate and you have already had an injection.

You can use stomach or thighs just pinch an inch of flesh and inject do not inject into muscle as it affects the absorption anyway you would struggle to pinch an inch on muscle..

Reactions: Levy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Is your pasta out of a packet? If it is, the packet should state the carb values on it.....
Unless you are making fresh pasta from start and then you would just need to add up the ingredients you have used.

The most imprtant thing is to weigh your pasta exactly. Bolus, eat.
Check, check and check then next time you will know what worked well and what didnt and if you fancy more then bolus for the extra and eat..

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @Juicyj

Whatever passes your lips at any time must be carb counted and bolused for.
Eg, say you ate your dinner and did your injection for it that injection will “cancel out” the carbs in that food only. If you then decided to have dessert or something to eat after that meal that food will need its own dose of insulin. If you wait 4 hours then you will become high because of the extra carbs.

Take a look at Carbs & Cals. They have an app and a book with pictures in it of all different foods which will help you to work out how many carbs are in your foods. It’s helped me wonders with my doses.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Injection sites is just trial and error to find what works best for you.
Remember to rotate them often so you don’t get lumpy sites though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
1) I inject for what I eat, so if changing plans halfway through a meal I inject again. Eating something carby is definitely taking an injection, unless I'm approaching low. So the four hours don't mean much to me, unless I'm unsure of my last bolus: if that's the case I bolus less for a snack and test more often afterwards.
2) The best injection sites are the ones you like best. I like tummy (but I'm fat), you might like legs, behind, arms or hips. Just try.
3) Why would you eat pasta with nothing? It tastes like nothing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj @claire1991 @donnellysdogs @Antje77 Thanks so much everyone!!! Very helpful now i get it ....And Antje yeah i just use differnt dressings everytime so i just want to know carbs in raw pasta then i'd add carbs according to dressing i use (first time to eat pasta in 3 months since my diagnosis and ended up high for 2 hours :( )
The carbs should be on the back of the package of your pasta. Take care to look if thats the dry uncooked pasta or after it's cooked. Bon appetit!