Recently Diagnosed

paigerobbo_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. My name is Paige and I'm 11 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Monday. There is a lot to learn and take in so I was wondering, does anyone have any advice?? I am still getting used to testing my blood glucose and injecting myself with insulin. I also like to eat and snack a lot, so if anyone has any advice on how I can maybe try and limit snacks, please tell me.
Thank you xxx

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello paigerobbo_x welcome here :)
there are plenty of type 1 in here too, I am type 2, so you won´t need my advice , just want to welcome here...

I´ll @daisy1
so you´ll get the valuable informatio every new person in here gets

JamesC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum @paigerobbo_x . If you like snacking then ham is a really good one, it's very low in carbohydrate.

If you've got any questions then feel free to ask on here, everyone is super friendly. Best of luck!

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Paige and welcome. It's a very steep learning curve with Type 1 but you are in the right place to learn. The guys here on this forum are amazing, and genuinely want to help. I would recommend having an appointment with your local NHS dietician. For me, She gave me excellent advice about what food is good and what is to be avoided...In truth all food is OK for Type 1 but you need to dose your insulin accordingly. DAFNE course is very good so I'm told (I'm on a waiting list). Personally I snack on Whole Nuts when hungry...But that's just me

Reactions: Energize
C

chris lowe

There is also a whole section on the forum especially for under 18's & a forum for parents of children with diabetes if they want advice on how to help you.
You seem quite mature for your age, so I'm sure you'll cope very well with whatever your diabetes throws at you, & you can get support from others in your situation. Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Energize

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. For snacks, nuts, cheese or berries are quite good and low carb.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

I am going to tag in @mahola because both she and her daughter were diagnosed with Type 1 about a year ago, so they know exactly what you are feeling!

Reactions: Jaylee and Energize

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @sheepie123 - Welcome to the Forum :). Perhaps You would like to tell us a more about your Diabetes? And in the meantime I will tag @daisy1 who will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive on joining the Forum.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @paigerobbo_x . I'm a snacker too, and to be honest, there's no reason why you can't carry on snacking if that's what you want to do.

Stuff with no or low carbs in them are no problem at all, ham, cheese, nuts, olives (seriously, give olives a try: you can wind your classmates up and tell them you are just so much more sophisticated than they are!).

Stuff with carbs in them take a bit more thinking about.

You'll learn soon that when you take insulin for a meal, the insulin actually lasts for about five hours.

If you accidentally take a bit too much insulin, your blood sugar might drop too low later on and you'll probably end up snacking on a few biscuits anyway to sort that out. A friend of mine who was trying to lose some weight always used to say, oh, it's so unfair, every time you feel ill, you get to eat sweets!

If, though, you've taken the right amount of insulin, and fancy a biscuit an hour or two later, a small biscuit isn't really going to make that much difference, because it'll be kinda still covered by the insulin from the last meal.

If you want a bigger snack like a bag of crisps, there's quite a lot of carbs in those, so you should think about it as if it's another meal. As an adult, I would take some insulin for that, but you should talk to your diabetes nurse about how much carbs you can get away with between meals without having more insulin.