Regular moderate exercise log

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4 miles walking today. At least it's dry and not too cold again. I am enjoying my short walk after supper just round the block but looking at the Christmas decorations gives me something to enjoy.

This is something I keep thinking of doing - but have yet to do! Do you literally get up and go straight after the evening meal?

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is something I keep thinking of doing - but have yet to do! Do you literally get up and go straight after the evening meal?

Probably about half an hour after finishing eating. Only about 20 mins normally unless I have done very little walking during the day. I think it is helping. Can't do it if we have visitors or if it is raining.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, just a bit of activity after a meal really stops after-meal spikes, I find.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably about half an hour after finishing eating. Only about 20 mins normally unless I have done very little walking during the day. I think it is helping. Can't do it if we have visitors or if it is raining.

I look at all these people walking their dogs, and realise what a bonus that responsibility is! I must make myself do this - even though, bizarrely, post-meal spikes aren't my biggest problem.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I look at all these people walking their dogs, and realise what a bonus that responsibility is! I must make myself do this - even though, bizarrely, post-meal spikes aren't my biggest problem.
Well, you don't have to if it's not a problem for you. It's better to tailor your routine to your own needs. That way you don't find any part of it an unnecessary burden. Just do it if you need to or want to.

Reactions: 3 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you don't have to if it's not a problem for you. It's better to tailor your routine to your own needs. That way you don't find any part of it an unnecessary burden. Just do it if you need to or want to.

You're right - it needs more testing, doesn't it! Testing! Testing! Testing!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep! To a rousing chorus of "I did it my way!" :)
And i've just done an hour's weights. Test before. Test in the middle. Test at the end. Half unit of insulin at beginning (and glass of milk). Another half unit in the middle. And finished at good reading. :)

Reactions: 5 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yoga today, pretty intense practice, had to resort to the sweat towel partway through.
BG was good at 4.9 before and 5.2 after with no snacks or basal changes.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Walking 40 mins. No comparison to you guys today! Must get to the gym tomorrow.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been out of town for a few days which gave the pinky toe some time to heal - not quite there but better than it was. Did 30mins yoga/strength/resistance & some kayaking yesterday and managed an 8km walk & some more kayaking today. Planning a bike ride & a nice long beach walk tomorrow so hopefully both the toe & the weather are good :)

Reactions: 6 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And here's me still just aiming to get to the 10,000 steps a day goal! I do a fair number of days where I walk more than that (just over 13,000 today / 6 miles), but then have a day where I do only something between 3,000 and 5,000 so the targets and averages drop down again.

Reactions: 9 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did just over an hour's walking today. Lovely autumn weather today.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Great weather. Took a lit of stuff to the tip which involved enough activity to mean I needed extra carbs to drive there. Probably only about 30 mins walking on top of that though.

Reactions: 7 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed 7 miles walking today. I think I'm trying to keep going while the weather is a bit better. @JenniferW it's not a competition, it's about encouraging each other to keep going and I think you are doing really well.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Hiitsme @JenniferW - If I hadn't been so competitive I probably wouldn't have injured my neck & spent the best part of two years being able to do stuff all. There are great health benefits in being kind to yourself :)

Had a very leisurely bike ride along the coast (about 13km all up) & a nice beach walk (about 3.5km). Grudgingly did some yoga - it was far too nice to be indoors but I needed the stretch!

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... it's not a competition, it's about encouraging each other to keep going and I think you are doing really well.

Don't worry - I really do appreciate the support from people here and it makes a significant difference. For comparison, when I was seeing the diabetic nurse for repeat HbA1c tests recently, she never even asked what I was doing as regards diet and exercise! She's very nice and supportive and encouraging, but it's always vague and general. This forum helps because it deals with the specifics.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8 miles walking today. Needed to do a bit more as we had steak for supper and that's high in calories and I don't want to put on weight so try to walk to burn more calories.