Regular Testing

Fiona I

As you know I am new to this any way after reading round on here and advice on my other posts I decided to start regular testing.
Here are my results from today so far.

8.30 PRE BREAKFAST 14.2 Natural Yoghurt and blueberrys
10.30 AFTER BREAKFAST 11.2
1.15 PRE LUNCH 8.3 Ham, cheese, egg, lettuce, tomatoe, spring Onion
3.15 AFTER LUNCH 7.5
6.00 PRE TEA 7.7 Gammon, Egg, 4 Breaded Mushrooms,Half Grilled Tomatoe, 5 Potatoe Wedges

What do you all think ???

B

badcat

if you're starting the day that high, it may be worth testing your BM's in the middle of the night as there are 2 things that can happen during the night to give you a high morning reading- 1) the liver can dump glucose around 2-7am raising BM's (Dawn phenomenon, part of a hormonal process involving growth hormone, cortisol and something else) or 2) if your BM's go too low overnight the liver will release glucose to bring them back up
If neither of those things apply then aim for a BM of around 7-8 at bedtime

angua

Fiona I said:
As you know I am new to this any way after reading round on here and advice on my other posts I decided to start regular testing.
Here are my results from today so far.

8.30 PRE BREAKFAST 14.2 Natural Yoghurt and blueberrys
10.30 AFTER BREAKFAST 11.2
1.15 PRE LUNCH 8.3 Ham, cheese, egg, lettuce, tomatoe, spring Onion
3.15 AFTER LUNCH 7.5
6.00 PRE TEA 7.7 Gammon, Egg, 4 Breaded Mushrooms,Half Grilled Tomatoe, 5 Potatoe Wedges

What do you all think ???

Hi Fiona, speaking as another new tester I also notice higher results in the morning (although not as high as yours) and other than the dawn phenomenon I can't work out why - maybe someone will come along to shed more light on that for you. When I started testing I had to stick to the same diet day after day to work out by elimination what made my bg go up - when I'd nailed the culprit, I could move on to another menu - it got a bit boring but it was successful .
I found that I was so carb sensitive that I couldn't have had your breaded mushrooms, tomatoes or potato wedges - my advice to you would be start a log of what you eat and your bg after, that way you will be able to build up a picture of whats okay for you.
Also I can't eat any fruit at breakfast time :problem:

keep testing and good luck

Gilly x

p.s I don't bother now to take my pre-meal bg (not enough fingers) :lol:

Fiona I

After tea test gone up to 13.7 must be the mushrooms and wedges I am thinking.
Will see hat the morning brings.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi Fiona

I've been testing since June. When I began, my fasting BG was always over 7 - often in the 8s. Slowly but surely, it has gradually started to drop. I am careful with carbs - but having tested I realise I cannot take many carbs at all and have to watch it. For instance, i would probably have had one potato wedge!! Exercise has added to the picture and after a day when I have swum for 45 mins, my BG is always under 7 often under 6 and sometimes .... in the low 5s.

Your 2 hrs post prandial result ( after eating ) should be ideally under 8 after 2 hrs - but this gets easier when you start the day lower. As Gilly suggests , keep a detailed food diary - log everything eaten plus exercise taken plus how you feel - especially if you are feeling ill ( BG goes up).

After 3 months, my numbers have improved but anything over 8 ( 2 hrs after eating) does worry me.

It's hard work and sometimes people without diabetes just don't understand how important it is.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cath N x

Fiona I

Thanks for your encouragement must admit I am worried :?
Plus at a funeral tomorrow so will harder to moniter and eat properly but I suppose its just another hurdle to over come :(