kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, Arrogance and warm beer
Hi all,
My doctor has arranged an appointment for me at the retinal screening clinic to check my eyes for any damage due to diabetes, i wondered whether anyone here might have had experience on this subject.

My doctor did say its routine,

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All diabetics are offered screening routinely once a year. You'll get a letter each year from now on asking you to book an appt and certainly where I live if you don't you get more letters chasing you to book it.

It's quick, but they put eye drops in so they can clearly see the back of your eye - this means you shouldn't drive afterwards and you may want to take sunglasses with you if you are sensitive to light.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is perfectly routine, and essential. It is part of the Diabetes Care Pathway.

You will get a letter with the appointment date, and leaflets explaining what happens and what you should do.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hi all,
My doctor has arranged an appointment for me at the retinal screening clinic to check my eyes for any damage due to diabetes, i wondered whether anyone here might have had experience on this subject.

I always keep my yearly appointment for retinal screening. It is very important and nothing to worry about. The leaflet they give you explains all. The drops may sting a little when they first put them in if your eyes are dry but that soon passes. Your vision will be blurry and you may be sensitive to bright light for a while until your eyes return to normal which doesn't take long. You will be fine.

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

It is routine. They will likely do a quick eye chart test, then dilate your eyes (that will sting for a few seconds, just blink a lot). After 20 mins or so your pupils will be dilated and they'll stay that way for several hours (so take dark glasses or daylight might be much brighter to you than normal). The doc will take a look around your eyes, that is totally painless although they may shine a bright light into them. If they suspect any pressure issues they will put another drop in each eye and measure the pressure by moving a coloured lense towards your eye.

Nothing to worry about. Your doc will explain if you need anything beyond that. Take care :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've now had the tests for 10 years or so. The drops never sting me. I always take sunglasses to wear afterwards and sometimes it can take 5 hours or so to see clearly again.

Reactions: kiwifrank

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes had my routine one last month as said the drops may sting a bit didn't affect me like that though. The actual photo of your eyes is very quick but the drops can take some hours to wear off so of course you must not drive until they have as they distort your vision. I got a letter within a week of mine saying everything was normal no retinopathy

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have had 4 hospital retinal screenings now and haven't needed eye drops for any of them. I asked the technician this time and she said they are not always required if they can get a look picture without. Might be different in NZ.

Good luck @kiwifrank

kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you all, as always the group always 'steps up', champion, most appreciated

Reactions: Bluetit1802

kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have had 4 hospital retinal screenings now and haven't needed eye drops for any of them. I asked the technician this time and she said they are not always required if they can get a look picture without. Might be different in NZ.

Good luck @kiwifrank
Thank you, good to know

tricia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Hello my name is Tricia, and I have been type2 diabetic for 16 1/2 years. I have my eyes 'looked at' every year, so don't be scared, I think that it is amazing what can be seen in and behind your eyes. Don't worry.