SEEDS & NUTS

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I make my breakfast cereal with nuts ,blasted in the food mixer,I add a table spoon full of oats a tablespoon full of ground linseed and a teaspoon full of sultanas in my bowl and add full fat milk.
I do enough nuts for a week.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a useful nut information chart here that's worth checking out: http://www.builtlean.com/2013/07/31/calories-nuts-chart/ (It lists the nuts in alphabetical order)

Chestnuts are very high in carbs and very low in fats, cashews are high in both - and though these are some of my favourite buts, I try not to eat too many cashews and avoid chestnuts completely!

I eat walnuts in salads, roast a selection of several different ones (e.g. walnuts, pecans, pine nuts) with sea salt and walnut oil in the microwave to eat for breakfast or supper, and use ground almonds, pecans and hazel nuts (these last two I grind in my coffee grinder) to bake with instead of flour. Hazelnuts with cocoa make good choccie muffins, and I use pecans and ground almonds as the basis for carrot cake type muffins. Ground almonds are really good baking all-rounders.

Flaxseed is also good (in combination with ground alnonds) for baking or sprinkling on stuff .

Mine all come from Tesco, except the flaxseed which I get from Amazon.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
There's a useful nut information chart here that's worth checking out: http://www.builtlean.com/2013/07/31/calories-nuts-chart/ (It lists the nuts in alphabetical order)

Chestnuts are very high in carbs and very low in fats, cashews are high in both - and though these are some of my favourite buts, I try not to eat too many cashews and avoid chestnuts completely!

I eat walnuts in salads, roast a selection of several different ones (e.g. walnuts, pecans, pine nuts) with sea salt and walnut oil in the microwave to eat for breakfast or supper, and use ground almonds, pecans and hazel nuts (these last two I grind in my coffee grinder) to bake with instead of flour. Hazelnuts with cocoa make good choccie muffins, and I use pecans and ground almonds as the basis for carrot cake type muffins. Ground almonds are really good baking all-rounders.

Flaxseed is also good (in combination with ground alnonds) for baking or sprinkling on stuff .

Mine all come from Tesco, except the flaxseed which I get from Amazon.

Robbity
Thanks for the link will make an interesting read.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anyone know what Macadamia nuts are I have never heard of them before?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Tried them once after hearing about them on this forum, I thought they tasted disgusting and never bought them again, my wife hated them also.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tried them once after hearing about them on this forum, I thought they tasted disgusting and never bought them again, my wife hated them also.
Thanks think I will stick to what I know.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Years ago I had a friend in Hawaii that used to send tins of them to me and I really enjoyed them, but I later discovered they are dangerous to dogs, so won't have them in the house now.

They are a bit like hazelnuts in shape, but I can't actually remember any more what they taste like...

I know they were a big business crop in Hawaii, but I 'm not sure that they are actually a native crop there. Have a look what Google has to say about them if no-one else can help?

Robbity

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not at all, try them yourself you may like them, we all have different tastes when it comes to food :)
A new health shop has just opened near me holland and Barrett so will see what they look like first,before I make any rash decisions,you never know I may like them.

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Years ago I had a friend in Hawaii that used to send tins of them to me and I really enjoyed them, but I later discovered they are dangerous to dogs, so won't have them in the house now.

They are a bit like hazelnuts in shape, but I can't actually remember any more what they taste like...

I know they were a big business crop in Hawaii, but I 'm not sure that they are actually a native crop there. Have a look what Google has to say about them if no-one else can help?

Robbity
Thank you shall have a read up on them I am all curious now.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Macadamia nuts are quite nice, but expensive.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've had two widely differing opinions now haven't you!! :p

I love hazelnuts but recently had a pack from tesco that were vile (super hard and tasteless, probably stale), and had i not known better they would have put me off for life.

Robbity

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Macadamia nuts are quite nice, but expensive.
Thank you I think all nuts seem to have gone up in price lately or is it just me that thinks that?

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You've had two widely differing opinions now haven't you!! :p

I love hazelnuts but recently had a pack from tesco that were vile (super hard and tasteless, probably stale), and had i not known better they would have put me off for life.

Robbity
Lol yes I certainly have,now I think I will have to try them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 153

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
All food is getting more expensive, especially meat, cheese and veg.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No - I think they;re blooming expensive too - so does my husband who considers himself "boss" of the shopping!

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people