1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Slim noodles from Holland & barrat

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by biren1973, Dec 3, 2017.

1. biren1973

biren1973 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi

Has anyone tried this noodle? It claims to have zero carbs. Is it good or bad for health?

Regards IMG_3311.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Member

They look to be shirataki noodles, which are made from yam I believe. I haven't tried that particular brand but have tried the brand we have here in Canada. They are okay in a stir fry. They are a little on the rubbery side, but like spaghetti squash, still not pasta. Rinse them well, boil briefly, then pan fry them to remove moisture. Worth a try if you are craving pasta.

3. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They are shirataki noodles and are mostly water. Don’t pay for the branding, they are far cheaper in plain packets from Chinese supermarkets.

There’s a few threads about them here, have a search.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Well-Known Member

they are okay .healthy .and I think good for intestines too.. I think it is a great food for banting

5. Chocomin

Chocomin Type 2 · Newbie

Haven't tried the noodles of this brand, but had the rice version yesterday. Very good for making things like fried rice that would otherwise be off limits and less smelly after washing than other brands. Be careful how much you eat though! These are called 'broom for stomach' in Japanese because of the high fibre! Can give you tummy trouble if you over do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The rice versions are also worth a try for a quick meal, and good for stir-fried rice. I find my local Holland & Barratt very expensive so I bought some konjac rice from a health food shop to see what it was like - I'd rather see a packet 'in the flesh' before buying blind online and my nearest Chinese supermarket is over 50 miles away - and you might be able to find a cheaper version locally. There are threads on this as @wiflib mentions, but critical advice? Wash the smell away first! (It was an eye-opener, literally, for me....!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Aren't these the same thing as Bare Naked noodles, that got famous after being on Dragons' Den?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook