Snack ideas

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
Looking for ideas for low carb snacks, my diabetic nurse has said I should try a low carbon diet between 80 -130 grams of carbon per day to start, have no idea where to start so thought I would start with snacks then look at easy on the go lunches as I drive a van so don't have access to microwave etc. Thanks

Reactions: jjraak and jpscloud

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Looking for ideas for low carb snacks, my diabetic nurse has said I should try a low carbon diet between 80 -130 grams of carbon per day to start, have no idea where to start so thought I would start with snacks then look at easy on the go lunches as I drive a van so don't have access to microwave etc. Thanks
Hard boiled eggs are a great and filling snack, as is a few nuts, or a small wedge of your favourite cheese :)

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely as @coby says, eggs are the number 1 best low carb snack. The only packaged thing that comes to mind immediately is pork scratchings (assuming you eat meat) but watch out for additives

Not sure if you're a waffle maker owner, or if you can make ahead of time but a beaten egg with a handful of mozzarella or cheddar makes 2 gorgeous croffles (just the two ingredients), I really don't feel one bit deprived with those.

Shredded chicken with diced pepper, cucumber etc. - I make a dressing with lemon/lime and apple cider vinegar and - I use MCT oil at the moment but extra virgin olive oil or melted butter works well.

An avocado with chopped tomato and full fat soft cheese

Roasted veg eg courgette, aubergine with soft cheese or dressing as above

If you eat meat, any mince fried up as a savoury mince on roasted vegetables as well

You might get some good ideas on the recipe threads or Low carb forum here, some of us post what we've eaten and I get some great ideas there.

Beware of hidden carbs in packaged foods, and if you can it's also probably best to avoid the snacks and treats claiming to be low carb or sugar free, as they can trigger eating too much of them. Speaking for myself there, some people use them happily!

Reactions: jjraak and cratat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The best place to start would be cutting the carbs from your meals.
Carbs when digested release glucose into your blood, as a T2 your insulin is not as effective as it should be dealing with that glucose, rather than giving you the energy you need it stays in your blood until it can be used or stored away as fat.
If you cut out or limit the major forms of carbs like bread, cereals, spuds, rice, pastry and most fruits and replace them with protein and healthy fats you will be giving your body food it can actually use. Most of us find that hunger stops being an issue and the need for snacks disappears. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/ this link should help

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb means more protein and fat. When I'm on the go I'll put some salad (lettuce, tomato, maybe some carrot) a hardboiled egg and/or a piece of cheese +/- some cold roast chicken into a lunch box. Sometimes celery and hommus, which makes a tasty snack - the hommus has carbs but they're complex and it also has lots of protein.

One of those small tins of tuna or salmon (even sardines) can be a good snack when you're out and about, too. They come with different sauces but I think most of the sauces are okay for a low carb diet (check the label). You could take some lettuce as a wrap for the fish.

To cut down on carbohydrates in snacks, think about the sandwiches you like and put the filling in a lunch box, leaving out the bread :)

• Agree
Reactions: cratat and VashtiB

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with previous posters but some additional ideas:

diet jelly- I often freeze it to have a different texture and it takes longer to eat. I also have it with cream

a few berries with cream

I also mix a bit of peanut butter with cream

Pork crackling

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you drive for a living check out M&S Simply Food, many service stations now. In their Deli section you will find eg packs of cooked chicken thighs, two hardboiled eggs and small spinach pot, rollitos which are three different varieties of cigar shaped cheeses wrapped in ham, small individual packs of salads, just avoid the sandwiches! They also supply wooden cutlery. So perfect for quick and easy DIY picnics in the van! Btw its low carbohydrate not low carbon. Best wishes.

MadMat

I drive for a living too, (taxi). I find the key to staying low carb whilst working is a bit of preparation in advance. I now take everything I plan on eating that shift out with me in a small cool bag. Relying on corner shops/petrol stations etc to provide something suitable just constantly led to failure!

Main meal tends to be a big box of salad, with various cold meats and pickles to provide a bit of variety. For snacks, fruit (not too much), berries, pepperami, nuts, hardboiled eggs, cooked and chilled sausage etc

Mat

• Informative
Reactions: MrsA2