So I made a 5 minute Keto chocolate mousse..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
The man's freestyling it already. :)
It tastes a bit grainy...and not very chocolately but the more cocoa we added the less mousse like it became. We will Percy Vere!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ahhh, Bless ya. It is nice to see somebody make an effort with food. You should be very proud of yourself. Now look up on YouTube and go for the minute microwave mug bread. Very easy. When cooked toast it..Nice with peanut butter, or you can turn it into a pudding with blackberries, vanilla essence, and sweetener of your choice added to the mixture, nice with fresh thick cream on top. I do not usually eat sweet things but enjoy this
Peanut Butter...is....evil..!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 - I just don't have a sweet tooth, so for the rare times I fancy something sweet, some frozen berries, with cream passes muster, but what I will say is there seem to be gazillions (OK, slight exageration there) of LC mousse recipes out there, and the quantities made are usually small - 1 or 2 servings? - so have a got with another recipe.

Folks make mug cakes too, using the ping-tastic microwave?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Begins with an E...Erythritol....? Only one we had in the house. Was supposed to use Stevia drops but can’t find them anywhere..
Stevia has a much more ..... noticeable? taste

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For seriously gorgeous mousse, you need to cook the creme anglaise (fancy french for egg yolks and cream/milk), add cocoa, other flavour, or essence or both, sweetener of your choice as part of the creme anglaise, pour into serving dish, cool on the bench, put in the fridge for at least four hours. Serve with cream and choc shavings as above. Delish.

I realised this when learning to use my ice cream maker. As the first (and labour-intensive) part of the ice cream making process, I discovered that the pre-putting in the ice cream maker part was actually divine mousse. My fave is stevia sweetened chocolate melted in with the creme anglaise. Seriously chocolate, and great on the BG levels, as in no spiking.

The whisking, cooking on the stove top and additional whisking gives it the right amount of aeration, if that is the word, the right chemistry between the sweetener if using, the flavours, and the egg yolks as in binding, that gives mousse its hallmark creamy smooth melt-in-your mouth texture.

Reactions: Prem51 and Sue192

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For seriously gorgeous mousse, you need to cook the creme anglaise (fancy french for egg yolks and cream/milk), add cocoa, other flavour, or essence or both, sweetener of your choice as part of the creme anglaise, pour into serving dish, cool on the bench, put in the fridge for at least four hours. Serve with cream and choc shavings as above. Delish.

I realised this when learning to use my ice cream maker. As the first (and labour-intensive) part of the ice cream making process, I discovered that the pre-putting in the ice cream maker part was actually divine mousse. My fave is stevia sweetened chocolate melted in with the creme anglaise. Seriously chocolate, and great on the BG levels, as in no spiking.

The whisking, cooking on the stove top and additional whisking gives it the right amount of aeration, if that is the word, the right chemistry between the sweetener if using, the flavours, and the egg yolks as in binding, that gives mousse its hallmark creamy smooth melt-in-your mouth texture.
Sounds divine but I’m too lazy to do all that work and too impatient to wait, can I come to yours please?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sounds divine but I’m too lazy to do all that work and too impatient to wait, can I come to yours please?

Yes! :cat:. Of course.

I know what you mean about the work. I had the ice cream maker (basically a tiny freezer with a churner) for nearly two years before I really got stuck into learning how to use the blasted thing. My love for cold desserts and ice cream won over my distaste for cooking and kitchen labour! (As did my love for good food did the same thing re actual cooking-from-scratch post diagnosis. Sigh.)

Maybe in the future there will be big communities of folk like us, and we could pitch in and pay a LCHF/Keto chef! With separate abodes but a communal dining hall. And 'staff'. And a fab DN. Not to mention have Dr Fung and Dr Mosley types coming in to give us pep talks and so on... All while we eat the delish mousse made by the chef

(Enjoying this dream...)

Reactions: Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quite like your dream too. My ice cream maker has been gathering dust for the last 6 years, keep meaning to use it but.....

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I bought an ice cream maker last summer and made a couple of batches, but they didn't turn out too good. The OPPO icecream was better and easier. I'll have another go this summer.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stevia has a much more ..... noticeable? taste
They are both repulsive in their own way!. The aftertastes are vile, at least to my palate.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are both repulsive in their own way!. The aftertastes are vile, at least to my palate.
I know what you mean. That was my immediate response but I found I grew used to it. I don’t use a lot either and cannot taste it in cooked stuff - just the sweetness.

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know what you mean. That was my immediate response but I found I grew used to it. I don’t use a lot either and cannot taste it in cooked stuff - just the sweetness.
They may grow on me...like a fungus!.