socks

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
anyone know where you can buy decent socks for diabetics size 11 14 bought some on e bay but they wore out in a few weeks thanks

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a camping type shop near maybe pop in and have a feel of the socks. I got some knee high cool max in there for me last autumn and picked up a pair too for grandson with size 12s. They don't say suitable for diabetics but I have worn them more or less for weeks with no problems. Lovely and warm, very hardwearing and wash well.
I think M&S are missing a trick here - their socks are often labelled supersoft but the seams are awful.
TK Maxx also do a good range of tube style socks in mens sizing.

Link to socks: http://www.millets.co.uk/mens/118563-peter-storm-mens-midweight-knee-length-hiking-socks-navy.html

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My DN recommended turning ordinary socks inside out helps with the uncomfortable rubbing of the seams - although I found some seamless socks for women called 'Elle'.

My husband goes through socks at an incredible rate (I have no idea what he does to them) but we recently discovered 'Stanley' work socks on eBay which aren't wearing out at the toe like his normally do.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't wear diabetic socks .. but I do wear soft top socks as they don't restrict blood flow to my feet. (I had a vein taken out to use as part of my heart bypass)

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like bridgedale socks. You can get them at Blacks or Millets. I also have Rohan socks, which are a bit thicker. :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I never used to wear socks, but when I was diagnosed I did start to wear them
So long as the ankles aren't tight, and the toes don't rub, I find they're ok now.
(However, I can't be bothered pairing them, so I never actually wear matching socks.)

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I swear by bridgedale socks, they last and last.
@ickihun I bought some of these this week. Their hiker socks are half price on the Cotswold Outdoors site. I got four pairs for just over£30 so I got free delivery. I am glad that you rate them because they are a new brand for me.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Swiggy

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been wearing bridgedales on long walks for the last ten years but have been strugging to get replacements for under £15.

Currently trying out 1000 mile socks which were originally designed for people with diabetes but now have crossed over into sports, walking etc

D

Deleted member 308541

I have always worn work socks as they are long lasting, I have been buying a new brand called Tradie's and they are wearing well and reasonably priced for three pair pack for $10.00.

I used to get my work socks from Millets when I lived in the UK.

AlaskaRon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not Having Pizza!
Diabetic socks? never heard of them, Why? what do they do? what is wrong with regular socks?

D

Deleted member 308541

Diabetic socks? never heard of them, Why? what do they do? what is wrong with regular socks?
01 - Diabetic socks? - socks for diabetics and probably have no joining seam in the toe area.
02 - Why?, probably retailers ripping off the purchaser because of the word diabetic must be good for the gullible ones.
03 - What do they do?, nothing as they will not test your bgl's.
04 - What is wrong with regular socks?, nothing wrong with regular socks if you change them every day.
el8jq.gif

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
01 - Diabetic socks? - socks for diabetics and probably have no joining seam in the toe area.
02 - Why?, probably retailers ripping off the purchaser because of the word diabetic must be good for the gullible ones.
03 - What do they do?, nothing as they will not test your bgl's.
04 - What is wrong with regular socks?, nothing wrong with regular socks if you change them every day.
el8jq.gif

Everyday?
Why?
What's wrong with once a week, then turning then inside out?
(or is that just underwear?)

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
I get my socks from sockshop a uk website. I usually wait till I have $100 worth as shipping is free.
The socks we have in Australia are rubbish, wear out and are expensive.

They have diabetic socks too. These socks seem to have less elastic in the cuff so as to not mess with blood supply.