Something new, Can a person have a higher baseline blood glucose level ?

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems im about 7/8 mmol when sleeping
When at computer im 8/9 mmol
if my blood glucose drops fast to about 7 mmol i get nausea and sweating
weird? 1cgm 2 meeters all out by 1 mmol cgm is highest
here's a picture of an illogical blood glucose drop when i was sleeping last night
it woke me up with nausea and sweating?
this is why im not sure if i was having a hypo but not at normal peoples levels
I dont know but its different :¬)
Screenshot_20240513_113315.jpg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there may be two issues here. Firstly were you lying on the sensor when you were feeling unwell during the night, if so the sudden drop could be what’s called a compression low. That could be confirmed/denied with a finger prick test.
The fact that you feel unwell at a higher level than generally accepted as hypo levels, makes me think they are ’false hypos’ i.e. your body is used to running 8 or 9 mmol/l and 6 is lower than you generally score.
This doesn’t mean that this is natural or healthy for you. Are there tweaks you could make with your diet to help lower your levels overall?

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have experienced hypo symptoms at what would be seen as normal levels after being abnormally high on a long-term basis. It is as if the body adjusted to its day to day reality of high blood glucose. Now that I have been managing my bloog glucose in non-diabetic range through lifestyle changes, my body has adapted and would not show any hypo symptoms even when I get close to 3.5 mmol/L reading.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems im about 7/8 mmol when sleeping
When at computer im 8/9 mmol
if my blood glucose drops fast to about 7 mmol i get nausea and sweating
weird? 1cgm 2 meeters all out by 1 mmol cgm is highest
here's a picture of an illogical blood glucose drop when i was sleeping last night
it woke me up with nausea and sweating?
this is why im not sure if i was having a hypo but not at normal peoples levels
I dont know but its different :¬)
View attachment 67653
I think you're having something called False Hypo's.... Feels like one, acts like one, in essense pretty much is one, except it doesn't have the numbers to back it up and won't do permanent damage. Basically your body is so used to being high all the time, it freaks out when you're nearing normal, healthy levels. I didn't know that that was what was going on, and I was having actual hypo's as well at the time, to muddle the waters more, which is why testing and double checking is so important. With a CGM compression lows at night could be an issue too, so always have a meter with test strips handy.

Then, if you're actually hypo, have some carbs, preferably liquid ones that'll hit the spot quickly, like orange juice. Not an actual hypo? Have some cheese or something else with fats and protein. Your body'll clock it as "Hey, I ate something, I'll be okay now!", without you spiking in the process and still not giving your body the opportunity to get used to lower blood sugars. It's all a matter of getting used to normal numbers, and it takes a little while.... Unless you treat a false low as a hypo, then they go on just about forever. So test, test, and test some more!

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could also be related to a sudden drop in blood pressure so I'd have that checked out with your GP. I used to get hypo-like sweats and trembles at normal BG levels and it was irregularities in heart rhythm causing transient drops in blood pressure.

Reactions: madusmacus

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there may be two issues here. Firstly were you lying on the sensor when you were feeling unwell during the night, if so the sudden drop could be what’s called a compression low. That could be confirmed/denied with a finger prick test.
The fact that you feel unwell at a higher level than generally accepted as hypo levels, makes me think they are ’false hypos’ i.e. your body is used to running 8 or 9 mmol/l and 6 is lower than you generally score.
This doesn’t mean that this is natural or healthy for you. Are there tweaks you could make with your diet to help lower your levels overall?
Thanks for that info :¬)
yep i think my high baseline is my normal and when i get a fast drop for some reason i get small sweat and nausea (6mmol)
the drop at night could have been a compression low but i woke up with slight sweats and nausea
im 5 days back on the no carbs now - sweats and nausea seems to be gone - flatter baseline but its still 7 or 8 base line :¬)
booked a private gp appointment friday not getting my hopes up thopugh
ty Rachox

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have experienced hypo symptoms at what would be seen as normal levels after being abnormally high on a long-term basis. It is as if the body adjusted to its day to day reality of high blood glucose. Now that I have been managing my bloog glucose in non-diabetic range through lifestyle changes, my body has adapted and would not show any hypo symptoms even when I get close to 3.5 mmol/L reading.
All that makes sense to me ty

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you're having something called False Hypo's.... Feels like one, acts like one, in essense pretty much is one, except it doesn't have the numbers to back it up and won't do permanent damage. Basically your body is so used to being high all the time, it freaks out when you're nearing normal, healthy levels. I didn't know that that was what was going on, and I was having actual hypo's as well at the time, to muddle the waters more, which is why testing and double checking is so important. With a CGM compression lows at night could be an issue too, so always have a meter with test strips handy.

Then, if you're actually hypo, have some carbs, preferably liquid ones that'll hit the spot quickly, like orange juice. Not an actual hypo? Have some cheese or something else with fats and protein. Your body'll clock it as "Hey, I ate something, I'll be okay now!", without you spiking in the process and still not giving your body the opportunity to get used to lower blood sugars. It's all a matter of getting used to normal numbers, and it takes a little while.... Unless you treat a false low as a hypo, then they go on just about forever. So test, test, and test some more!
interesting :¬) false hypo info :¬)
A lot of people here have the idea i have a high base line and my body thinks its normal - this makes alot of sense - ty :¬)

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could also be related to a sudden drop in blood pressure so I'd have that checked out with your GP. I used to get hypo-like sweats and trembles at normal BG levels and it was irregularities in heart rhythm causing transient drops in blood pressure.
Good point about the BP - i have had alot of PVC's recently - ill bring this up with private GP on friday - ty :¬)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late to the show but I get these episodes fairly frequently. Sweats, nightmares, wake up feeling trembly and confused. I've been having them since 2014, but it was only with trying a Libre that I realised that the sweats etc coincided with falls in BG - to low 3s in my case, followed by an equally rapid rise. All over inside 30 mins.

I don't think these can be "compression lows" as it would be some coincidence that the compression low always happened to coincide with the sweats. No lows without sweats, and no sweats without lows.

One of the issues is that the usual advice is "T2s don't hypo". Thanks to Abbott's free Libre trial, there's an increasing number of people seeing evidence that we do. Difference appears to be that with T2s the liver corrects the drop without outside intervention.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late to the show but I get these episodes fairly frequently. Sweats, nightmares, wake up feeling trembly and confused. I've been having them since 2014, but it was only with trying a Libre that I realised that the sweats etc coincided with falls in BG - to low 3s in my case, followed by an equally rapid rise. All over inside 30 mins.

I don't think these can be "compression lows" as it would be some coincidence that the compression low always happened to coincide with the sweats. No lows without sweats, and no sweats without lows.

One of the issues is that the usual advice is "T2s don't hypo". Thanks to Abbott's free Libre trial, there's an increasing number of people seeing evidence that we do. Difference appears to be that with T2s the liver corrects the drop without outside intervention.
yep very interesting - im rethinking abbot again - their incessant belief that their calibration in the factory is almost god like - is really annoying me
i have found (to much pain) my current sensor i accurate when 5.4-6.4 if it gets to 8.4 it shows 10,6 and it gets logarithmicaly worse as it goes up
leading me to much stress that makes it go up
"this is not the technical age we are looking for" :¬)

Chris24Main

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Particularly in relation to what @KennyA said - don't rule out that dreaming may be playing a part here - I'm a sleep logger as well as having some experience with CGM. Quite often, I could match sudden changes in BG levels to periods in dream sleep during the night. Your brain is quite active during the night, and it needs energy...

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Particularly in relation to what @KennyA said - don't rule out that dreaming may be playing a part here - I'm a sleep logger as well as having some experience with CGM. Quite often, I could match sudden changes in BG levels to periods in dream sleep during the night. Your brain is quite active during the night, and it needs energy...
With me I think it's the other way round. The low BG provokes adrenalin release hence the sweats and nightmares. I can have vivid dreams at other times without the sweats etc, but what happens somewhere between 3 and 5 am is not like that.

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With me I think it's the other way round. The low BG provokes adrenalin release hence the sweats and nightmares. I can have vivid dreams at other times without the sweats etc, but what happens somewhere between 3 and 5 am is not like that.
Adrenalin makes sense for the counter-regulatory BG rise after the hypo but what causes the hypo in the fist place? I'm type 1 but these have all caused me a nighttime hypo - late basal injection, late exercise, skipping a late snack, alcohol, flu, forgot to take other meds.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Adrenalin makes sense for the counter-regulatory BG rise after the hypo but what causes the hypo in the fist place? I'm type 1 but these have all caused me a nighttime hypo - late basal injection, late exercise, skipping a late snack, alcohol, flu, forgot to take other meds.
I agree, that's the question. My suspicion is that my liver is playing up but that's as far as it goes.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of things (food/no food, alcohol/no alcohol etc) but the only pattern I've noticed is that I have sweats more or less consistently for 3-4 months, with a few dry episodes, then no sweats more or less consistently for another 3-4 months - again with a few sweaty mornings. I'm right in the middle of a sweaty period right now - I can actually wring sweat out of my tshirt some mornings.

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, that's the question. My suspicion is that my liver is playing up but that's as far as it goes.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of things (food/no food, alcohol/no alcohol etc) but the only pattern I've noticed is that I have sweats more or less consistently for 3-4 months, with a few dry episodes, then no sweats more or less consistently for another 3-4 months - again with a few sweaty mornings. I'm right in the middle of a sweaty period right now - I can actually wring sweat out of my tshirt some mornings.
Sounds like you're spiking insulin - is that possible?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you're spiking insulin - is that possible?
I have no idea - I suppose it's possible? It's never been tested. It's probably the only "diabetic symptom" I actually still have, which suggest to me it's not a blood glucose issue in and of itself. I wouldn't be optimistic that I could persuade my practice to pay for a test.

Unfortunately I lost my Libre graphs after changing phones.... however the pattern is that overnight my BG will be drifting downwards very slowly, then around 3-5am it abruptly falls off a cliff and drops to 3s etc. It will very quickly recover (start of fall to regaining original level around 30 mins tops) and the rise will typically then continue into dawn phenom territory.

The thing is - it is just very annoying. Waking too early, being unable to get back into wet sheets....