Sorbitol

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been told by a doctor to avoid sorbitol because it is a carbohydrate alcoholic sugar.
I was told to avoid because of some research that has shown to be a digestive issues if you are intolerant to certain sugars, additives etc.
I had not heard of alcohol sugars. It is something to do with the carb make up of it.
I have heard of issues with the sweetener called aspartame. Which could be harmful and even in some rare cases addictive
Does anyone know more about alcohol sugars?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I always thought sorbitol was the name given to sugar , lactose was milk sugar , fructose was fruit sugar and I guess there are a few others I have never heard of a alcohol sugar .

Reactions: Lamont D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I thought sorbitol was the sweetener in Roses diabetic orange, the only low carb fruit cordial available for diabetics in my childhood, before zero carb drinks became available. (Don't guarantee that, because I can't find any records on google, but suspect other T1s of my generation may remember. And it's possible the sweetener was saccharin).

As I remember it sorbitol is supposed to cause diarrhea if you take too much....? Though I never experienced it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s a page from Diabetes U.K. regarding sweeteners including a few paragraphs about polyols or sugar alcohols. Some sugar free foods list carbohydrate value in grams and polyols separately in grams. If your blood sugar is unaffected by polyols (mine aren’t) you can calculate net carbs as carbs minus polyols. Polyols aren’t generally absorbed, but by the same token in excess cause a laxative effect. Here’s the article:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some 20 years ago, a hospital physician warned me to steer clear of jams, fruit-flavoured cordials and confectionery marketed for diabetics and sweetened with sorbitol.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any of the -----ols cause me great flatulence and other tummy upsets, even small amounts

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate three bars sweetened with polyols and my gut flora and fauna had a wild party and I was so bloated I thought I might become Geography any moment - until the inevitable happened - luckily when I was in the bathroom but oh my - the trumpet involuntary my grandma used to call it.
Never again.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told by a doctor to avoid sorbitol because it is a carbohydrate alcoholic sugar.
I was told to avoid because of some research that has shown to be a digestive issues if you are intolerant to certain sugars, additives etc.
I had not heard of alcohol sugars. It is something to do with the carb make up of it.
I have heard of issues with the sweetener called aspartame. Which could be harmful and even in some rare cases addictive
Does anyone know more about alcohol sugars?
Sorbitol is vile, except if one could do with deepening their relationship with the smallest room.

Have a look at polyols @Lamont D : https://www.diabetes.co.uk/sweeteners/sugar-alcohols.html and https://www.ynhh.org/services/nutrition/sugar-alcohol , just as starters for 10.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I always remember my mum buying me “ diabetic “ jams , sweets etc when I stayed at home ( god can I remember that far back) they all contained Sorbitol , there was a discreet warning on the label of these products , which stated! “ contains Sorbitol which can have a laxative effect … no #### Sherlock , if they warned you about it you knew it was going to happen , and boy oh boy did it .

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorbitol is a polyol, which is a sugar alternative. There are a whole bunch of these used in a variety of products (maltitol, xylitol etc). Most people find they don't have an impact on blood sugar, and when looking at labels their data is usually listed out separately under carbohydrates as "of which polyols".

They do have a laxative effect in large quantities, but products that have sufficient polyols to cause this will have a warning on the label.

I've never had any digestive or blood sugar problems relating to alcohol sugars, and I'm surprised to hear a doctor steer you away from them - but your mileage may vary.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Beware Sorbitol. Has Laxative effect. Never buy Diabetic listed products. Sham.