Spondylitis, arthritis in spine, anyone?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not looking down for me, it's up or twisting or quick movement of my neck.
I was awful last Sunday very similar to having hypos, though it wasn't cos I couldn't eat, had no appetite. Felt really meh!
Still three weeks to see my physiotherapist.
Because of everything else, my early mornings are the worst, I have to take a quick walk to get my body going, the essential tremor doesn't make things any easier.
Sneezing, yawning and shivering are lethal!
Yes tilting my head to look up really is not good for me. Balance goes and I generally feel sick so I try not to do that, no more curtain hanging for me LOL and I think that wall papering will soon become a thing of the past because when I have to look up it also causes co-ordination issues and I seem to soon lack concentration. I recently tried to take up swimming after not doing any for over 50 years. Started on breast stroke was a nightmare because I was lifting my head back against my neck to try to swim. Backstroke seemed ok but there is always the problem of knocking into people - Front crawl might also be a good option - if I use a good breathing technique and I can keep my head linear to my body so not causing much stress to my neck. I am finding swimming quite invigorating so I hope I can keep it up.

I found a copy of the physio exercises that helped me. Neck_ROM_exercises_done_2019.pdf (uhd.nhs.uk)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamont D

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Ryhia Get a mask and a regular snorkel.You have to have the mask to hold the snorkel in place. You just need a cheap one. You won't have to lift or turn your head to breath.

• Winner
Reactions: Antje77 and Ryhia

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Lamont D He didn't want the surgery. He wasn't horrible. But his hands had started to go numb sometimes. He worked for the state and they actually bought him a special chair, mouse pad, raised the computer and sent him to physical therapy when needed. Once he stopped working on a computer all day when he retired, most of his symptoms went away. He does still gets dropsy with holding things off and on.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lamont D He didn't want the surgery. He wasn't horrible. But his hands had started to go numb sometimes. He worked for the state and they actually bought him a special chair, mouse pad, raised the computer and sent him to physical therapy when needed. Once he stopped working on a computer all day when he retired, most of his symptoms went away. He does still gets dropsy with holding things off and on.
I drop things when I don't concentrate enough. More chips on the outside of the plate than on it!
I have to endorse the operation. Pain free since op. And my hand in full use despite the arthritis, fingers bar one and thumb fully mobile. I
Mine came about because of the manual work in a car factory assembling rubber work around the droplights and half lights and quarter lights in the side doors.Because.one came operable and really painful after retirement, I couldn't claim off the multinational company that employed me for over 35 years! Typical!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes tilting my head to look up really is not good for me. Balance goes and I generally feel sick so I try not to do that, no more curtain hanging for me LOL and I think that wall papering will soon become a thing of the past because when I have to look up it also causes co-ordination issues and I seem to soon lack concentration. I recently tried to take up swimming after not doing any for over 50 years. Started on breast stroke was a nightmare because I was lifting my head back against my neck to try to swim. Backstroke seemed ok but there is always the problem of knocking into people - Front crawl might also be a good option - if I use a good breathing technique and I can keep my head linear to my body so not causing much stress to my neck. I am finding swimming quite invigorating so I hope I can keep it up.

I found a copy of the physio exercises that helped me. Neck_ROM_exercises_done_2019.pdf (uhd.nhs.uk)

I wish I could swim more than just holiday. The local council closed the nearest one to us and turned it into a huge gym just after all the restrictions imposed cos of covid. There is now only two open now to cater for over a million people.
Wouldn't want to swim in the sea and rivers nearby.
Me and the wife were competitive swimmers in our youth because our school was next door to our school. I was swimming at four. The wife was swimming at two! Her grandfather worked at the baths as a life guard and was honoured by royalty for his life saving deeds in the river in the sixties. Swam in the annual police swim for twenty years he did! Never won!

Reactions: Ryhia and Marie 2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pilates, yoga or tai chi are all good for necks, backs, balance.
And lots of free on line classes these days too

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Update.
Had an appointment with physiotherapist, an emergency one because since Christmas I have been suffering intense pain in my right shoulder arms.
Apparently, I have rotator cuff, muscular weakness, and with my spondylitis in my neck which is a lot better but still can't do things, like I used to.
Plenty of resistance exercises to do each day, along with the stretching and neck exercises.
So I'm just thinking, I should get a gym membership?
Nah!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Update.
Had an assessment on my skeletal issues. Which is causing pain, discomfort and restricting my movement.
The recommendations that I was given was for the physio to continue until that is concluded and the pain in my shoulder (rotator cuff) is a lot less painful. Then full MRI scan to decide wether surgery is necessary to fuse the disc and relieve the pain, symptoms, the dizziness and breathlessness. It would be three months recovery and I have to think of the wife. Brutal but true.
She then described the symptoms to a full on panic attack, without the panic and anxiety.

I will still speak to my GP and the physio, and make my mind up.

Proper full physical on my neck and shoulder, massive headache now!

bluechickadee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Update.
Had an assessment on my skeletal issues. Which is causing pain, discomfort and restricting my movement.
The recommendations that I was given was for the physio to continue until that is concluded and the pain in my shoulder (rotator cuff) is a lot less painful. Then full MRI scan to decide wether surgery is necessary to fuse the disc and relieve the pain, symptoms, the dizziness and breathlessness. It would be three months recovery and I have to think of the wife. Brutal but true.
She then described the symptoms to a full on panic attack, without the panic and anxiety.

I will still speak to my GP and the physio, and make my mind up.

Proper full physical on my neck and shoulder, massive headache now!

My husband has ankylosis spondylitis too….it’s not easy. I hate seeing him in pain. There’s not a lot he can take for the pain either which sucks. We have a young child together, she’s 4, it’s so hard seeing him not be able to be involved like he wants to be.

What does your wife say about the surgery?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is very difficult for her to grasp the situation, she would say get the surgery if it is possible, but she is all but restrictive herself due to spinal injury which is why I'm her carer and we as yet can't get the help except family to help us. I do know that we would get help but twenty four hours?
Because of medication for over fifteen years, she gets muddled, forgetful and can't be still for more than five minutes at a time when awake.
I would be recovering from the surgery for about three months. Not much activity at all. What if the wife gets in difficulty? I couldn't help her?
It is a bit of a dilemma! My GP who has been brilliant, for me, I will speak to her about the situation and I will see what she comes up with.

Thanks for reading, keep safe.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
My wife is on the pain med morphine patches for her lower spine issues. I have witnessed what that has done to her health and quality of life. I'm not going there, I'm not a fan unless absolutely necessary. I will try the heat patches. I have to up my vitamins and a trip to my chemist to see what they have of use Google. But at the moment I'm uncomfortable but not in pain.
I think turmeric is good for arthritis. My husband drinks cranberry juice (unsweetened) and he swears it helps with arthritis in his hands brought on by tenosynovitis, let say he may pee more but wakes up less in pain with his joints. Other than that I don't know what to suggest. Trial and error I think, the joys of living longer eh! There was a lotion that I used to use for my lower back if I can find it I will let you know. It was all herbal and it did the trick I also used in on my wonky elbow that I have had pain with on and off over the years, it worked so I will fish it out and let you know x

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I drop things when I don't concentrate enough. More chips on the outside of the plate than on it!
I have to endorse the operation. Pain free since op. And my hand in full use despite the arthritis, fingers bar one and thumb fully mobile. I
Mine came about because of the manual work in a car factory assembling rubber work around the droplights and half lights and quarter lights in the side doors.Because.one came operable and really painful after retirement, I couldn't claim off the multinational company that employed me for over 35 years! Typical!
Can you not claim through industrial injuries? Only wondering as my husband has, its not much but it helps. The criteria may have changed since, its worth looking into x

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Lamont D I feel for you. That puts you in a very hard place to try to make a decision about what to do.

There comes a point that most people make the decision to have back surgery when they feel the pain is enough to warrant the surgery. And as I'm sure as you know back surgery, especially if it's complicated, comes with it's own risks. So having to worry about a longer healing time or the care you might need, and worrying about your wife's care adds another complication that I know will add to trying to make that decision a much more difficult one.

Many Hugs.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you not claim through industrial injuries? Only wondering as my husband has, its not much but it helps. The criteria may have changed since, its worth looking into x
I took early retirement in 2007. And part of that was a disclaimer against future health issues, standard amongst multi nationals and insurers protocols. I would have claimed a few years after because of carpal tunnel syndrome! ..........!
My last job before retirement was not interested in employees welfare. And no sickness, no health insurance, nowt! Great place to work, typical capitalism and owners were not interested.

Thanks, hope your hubby is okay.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An therapy that has worked well on various friends frozen shoulders and my own knee joint is
It's non invasive, gentle and so odd that i can't explain why it works. Might be worth looking into if surgery isn't welcome. Trouble is practioners are few and far between, and it costs, but not hugely

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I took early retirement in 2007. And part of that was a disclaimer against future health issues, standard amongst multi nationals and insurers protocols. I would have claimed a few years after because of carpal tunnel syndrome! ..........!
My last job before retirement was not interested in employees welfare. And no sickness, no health insurance, nowt! Great place to work, typical capitalism and owners were not interested.

Thanks, hope your hubby is okay.
That's really sad how companies can treat the staff. My husband was diagnosed at 29 years old but didn't act on it until he could barely move his hands, then he chased through industrial injuries as advised by the cab. He now 30 years later, has had to take early retirement and step back from the things he used to love doing, working using his hands was his life. He has tenosynovitis in his feet now so although he can and does walk, he doesn't walk far without me at his side. Life can be pants sometimes but I love him and it is what it is "us against the world! sometimes x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's really sad how companies can treat the staff. My husband was diagnosed at 29 years old but didn't act on it until he could barely move his hands, then he chased through industrial injuries as advised by the cab. He now 30 years later, has had to take early retirement and step back from the things he used to love doing, working using his hands was his life. He has tenosynovitis in his feet now so although he can and does walk, he doesn't walk far without me at his side. Life can be pants sometimes but I love him and it is what it is "us against the world! sometimes x
I could write an essay on my feelings of how our lives have been influenced by our circumstances.
It has never been easy for both of us, dictated by the lives of our parents.
Struggling without the security of affordable income.
I got myself out of poverty, I did the same for my wife, and even so with the security of a works pension. We find ourselves counting every penny. And because of that pension, my wife isn't pension age! We can't claim pension benefits.
Always in the mire, depth varies!

We have had some great occasions and wonderfully blessed with children and grandchildren. I couldn't ask for a better family and wouldn't want to not go through life being so straightforward.

You work so hard to improve your life, to bring some comfort when you need it.
I get so angry with those who still want to deprive everyone else of that. And intentionally and then deny doing it.

Not quite an essay!

Keep safe. Love your family, despite circumstances!

Best wishes.

bluechickadee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is very difficult for her to grasp the situation, she would say get the surgery if it is possible, but she is all but restrictive herself due to spinal injury which is why I'm her carer and we as yet can't get the help except family to help us. I do know that we would get help but twenty four hours?
Because of medication for over fifteen years, she gets muddled, forgetful and can't be still for more than five minutes at a time when awake.
I would be recovering from the surgery for about three months. Not much activity at all. What if the wife gets in difficulty? I couldn't help her?
It is a bit of a dilemma! My GP who has been brilliant, for me, I will speak to her about the situation and I will see what she comes up with.

Thanks for reading, keep safe.

Oh no, that is so tough. I’m sorry I hope you can figure something out.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My wife is on the pain med morphine patches for her lower spine issues. I have witnessed what that has done to her health and quality of life. I'm not going there, I'm not a fan unless absolutely necessary. I will try the heat patches. I have to up my vitamins and a trip to my chemist to see what they have of use Google. But at the moment I'm uncomfortable but not in pain.
Been a while Lamont D but I found the product, I am using at the moment as I have occipital pain and pain in neck etc. It takes the edge off for me it called Phyderma Harpagodol you can get it online from France its the only place. Has wonderful tumeric in it and other things xxx

Last edited:
  • Informative

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will check it out.
Been a will Lamont D but I found the product, I am using at the moment as I have occipital pain and pain in neck etc. It takes the edge off for me it called Phyderma Harpagodol you can get it online from France its the only place. Has wonderful tumeric in it and other things xxx
If we were still in the EU, I would have made the trip over!
What sort of price is it?