Stainless Steel

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Copper can turn skin green. Perhaps the steel has a copper in the alloy.

Depends on what qualities the manufacture wants.... whether its made for a lath or durability or even strengh. Each way would react differently on skin.

Stainless shouldnt leave a color as such black mark could be possible on skin... for example....

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Interesting thought @Diakat.
Would a .9 ct gold ring have copper in it? If so why would it not react to skin of a non-diabetic wearer?
No idea why a specific metal might contain copper as in your example, but stainless steel is an alloy so I can hypothesise that other jewellery metals are too. Meaning they may be alloyed with copper or other metals. Google may know more!

Reactions: kitedoc

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
No idea why a specific metal might contain copper as in your example, but stainless steel is an alloy so I can hypothesise that other jewellery metals are too. Meaning they may be alloyed with copper or other metals. Google may know more!

Knew an engineering degree would be useful for something one day;)

Steel is typically and principally alloyed with Chromium to make it a Stainless grade. Copper is added to some variants to improve corrosion resistance, - more common in steels used for marine applications.

Pure (24 Carat) Gold is often alloyed with Copper, Nickel, or Silver to give the lower carat golds mostly available in shops (Rose Gold may up to 50% Copper) depending on the desired colour.

In the EU the use of Nickel in jewellery has been restricted because of known skin reactions but if the item originated outside the EU then it may be present.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I've always said to my mum that I have acidic sweat like Alien has acidic blood lol

In the world of engineering some people are said to have "rusty fingers". If they touch a ferrous metal then their fingerprint will be visible in the form of rust some time later.

(People with this problem should not touch highly polished press tools with bare hands.)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Knew an engineering degree would be useful for something one day;)

Steel is typically and principally alloyed with Chromium to make it a Stainless grade. Copper is added to some variants to improve corrosion resistance, - more common in steels used for marine applications.

Pure (24 Carat) Gold is often alloyed with Copper, Nickel, or Silver to give the lower carat golds mostly available in shops (Rose Gold may up to 50% Copper) depending on the desired colour.

In the EU the use of Nickel in jewellery has been restricted because of known skin reactions but if the item originated outside the EU then it may be present.
Thanks for grounding my wild guesswork in fact Urb!

Reactions: urbanracer