Starchy Carbohydrates

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
.It takes years of research and many studies and trials to change something in the medical world and they will certainly want to know what the long term effects of LCHF will be years down the line. Maybe they are already doing all this we don't know. We are just a very tiny minority of diabetics that follow LCHF and I am afraid a minority is not enough to change the world so no point in us getting in a strop about it, all we can do is go on doing what we think is best for us

..... and telling every person we meet with diabetes about it, of course :)

More seriously..... small minorities can grow, and eventually become the majority. And the number of HCP's who are recognising the effectiveness of LCHF for diabetes is tiny, but growing. At least in the U.K. they are not facing disciplinary proceedings like Tim Noakes, Gary Fettke and others.

How much long-term evidence do they want? They had ****** all when they adopted low fat as the recommendation for everyone. And, as hard as they look, they can't find any to support it.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and telling every person we meet with diabetes about it, of course :)
I told my next door T2 neighbour about LCHF of course he had never heard of it but said it sounded like a crank diet so he would not be doing it. I had more or less the same response from a couple of elderly T2 ladies who said they took Metformin tablets which meant apart from to much sugar stuff they could eat more or less what they wanted to. So not easy to change peoples minds about their diet

Reactions: Debzz_

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I told my next door T2 neighbour about LCHF of course he had never heard of it but said it sounded like a crank diet so he would not be doing it. I had more or less the same response from a couple of elderly T2 ladies who said they took Metformin tablets which meant apart from to much sugar stuff they could eat more or less what they wanted to. So not easy to change peoples minds about their diet
Ignorance is bliss; for the ignorant especially :)

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I heard about low carb for diabetes numerous times and dismissed it as too strict/too hard/unrealistic. Every time. Until last year.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ignorance is bliss; for the ignorant especially :)
I think it is very hard to change peoples minds about something that they have been doing for years without problem. The ladies I spoke to had been T2's for quite a few years and they did not have any diabetic complications and said they did not see a reason to change they way they were eating at their time of life.

KBradz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @KBradz .. and welcome
I think you'll find that many folk here have shared your experience with the "advice" that they have been given by their HCPs. I have my first meeting with my DN tomorrow (Mar 6th) and I have expressed my concerns about this - see post: First Meeting with DN From the replies that I have received to this post, I have developed a new mantra to add to my "Managing My Diabetes" mindset ...

.. Nod
.. Smile and say Thanks
.. Ignore

Hi AM1874
Advice - spot on!

Reactions: AM1874

KBradz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you sure that your HbA1c was 5.7% (39mmol/mol) at the time of diagnosis as you have stated? This does not indicate diabetes (GT 48 or 6.5%) or even prediabetes or at risk (42-48 or 6.0 to 6.5%). It places you in the normal, healthy range.

Agree that NHS dietary advice is potentially harmful, however think that for many people a reduction in carbs is sufficient and lchf unnecessary. I have dropped blood glucose levels to normal range with a little exercise and cutting carbs to 100-130g/day.
Hi Midnightrider,
I was orginally diagnosed with a fasting test of 7.7, the HbA1C at that time was 5.9% (41 mmol/mol). A month later my fasting test was 7.6 and HbA1c was 5.7% (38.8 mmol/mol) and 3 months later HbA1c was 5.6% (38 mmol/mol) no fasting test this time.
I admit to being confused as to whether I have type 2 or pre-diabetic or OK. I have been checking my fasting levels for a couple of months and this has fluctuated between 7.4 and 5.5!

D

Deleted member 371625

Hi Midnightrider,
I was orginally diagnosed with a fasting test of 7.7, the HbA1C at that time was 5.9% (41 mmol/mol). A month later my fasting test was 7.6 and HbA1c was 5.7% (38.8 mmol/mol) and 3 months later HbA1c was 5.6% (38 mmol/mol) no fasting test this time.
I admit to being confused as to whether I have type 2 or pre-diabetic or OK. I have been checking my fasting levels for a couple of months and this has fluctuated between 7.4 and 5.5!
You have been diagnosed on the basis of your FBG result (which may be slightly higher due to the stress of visiting the doc and being tested, this is known to raise the level in some cases), which is normally only done if the HbA1c result is thought to be incorrect or is inappropriate due to another condition. With 3 HbA1c results all below 42mmol/mol I am at a bit of a loss. However, the limits set in the guidelines are somewhat arbitrary and changing lifestyle to prevent a potential problem is not necessarily a bad thing.

https://cks.nice.org.uk/diabetes-type-2?_escaped_fragment_=diagnosis#!diagnosissub
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
"The ADA advice to eat wholegrain bread is guaranteed to kill diabetics", Dr Richard Bernstein.
Yep one slice nearly killed me on Sunday- ! Will avoid like the plague for time being

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here KBradzm:)

and believe in what you do , low carb is the way to go for diabetics type 2..