Stomach cramps whenever I lose weight

steveelles

I've had a serious issue with stomach cramps for 35 years. The only obvious pattern was that they were always worse whenever I was at my skinniest. Whenever I am screened for Chron's or Celiac it is always negative. I have shown high fecal calprotectin levels during these periods. Diagnosed as Type 2 at 40 but now they think I'm MODY. I am exercising heavily at the moment and the Glicazide seems to be really working (entry level 40mg x 2 daily). Back in August my unmedicated BGs were around 24. Unsurprisingly, the cramps with nausea are beginng to get worse again. Yesterday I had an "episoide". These are the periodic things (usually around 6 weeks apart and rising in severity to a crescendo which then opens up a couple of weeks cramp-free). This has hospitalised me in the past with a PR bleed. The cramps can be so severe that I nearly pass out and the sweat litterally runs off me. The hospital incident represents the lowest weight in my adult life. I'm usually too out of it to remember to test so yesterday was the first time. I felt my stomach and back begin to knot, then it all swelled. On testing my BG was the lowest it had been for weeks.
I think this might me reactionary hypoglycaemia alongside my diabetes. Either that or I have extreme reactions to sugar drops. Anyone else got similar experiences I can discuss with?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Can't discuss directly, but what were these lowest BGs, please?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi, 8.8 mmol/L when Igot uncomfortable. Started the day on a fasting of 14.1.

Well, that isn't what is normally considered to be low BG.
Both values are higher than is really desirable.
Low is generally considered to be below 4.
I very much doubt that it is reactive hypoglycemia because you are not going hypo according to those numbers.
You might experience false hypos if your BG has been a lot higher for some time.

Outside my area of experience, but I assume that you have had advice on your diet both to reduce inflammation in the gut and control your blood glucose levels?

What are you eating to bring your weight and BG levels down?

I can't say, but would suspect that it is not the diabetes which is directly causing the bowel inflammation. However, just me guessing and something you should discuss with your medical team.
Remembering that correlation does not mean causation, is there anything special you were doing when you had these previous episodes?

Lowering BG levels is supposed to lower inflammation in general, but everyone is different.