Strawberry Jam

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had (have a sweet tooth) and find it very hard simply going cold Turkey and stopping just like that.

Here I am, surrounded by colleagues eating cakes brought in to celebrate a birthday. I'm eating a salad whilst craving a cup cake, and so it goes. This is a weekly test of my resolve now.

I have sweetener in my tea but I now only drink two cups a day when it used to be five or six although, admittedly, all with sweetener in them.

Now I have to get my fix through a few berries (not even my beloved grapes) and one or two sugar free Werthers every now and again.

Am I happy about it ?. No because its simply made me more depressed than usual and right now, because of how down I am I just want to eat sugar, but I struggle on.

I empathise with anyone attempting to lose the sweet tooth.
I understand your situation as we sound very similar. I have to say that I can walk up and down the drinks aisle in a supermarket and not cave in to temptation. And I think I can or could do the same with sweet things. I just want to know if I need to take radical steps or just take some adjustments without going the whole hog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick66

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I noticed that Hovis, I think it is, that do a low carb loaf....
Tesco do a high protein bread which is nice and only 10 carbs per slice. I find that it doesn’t affect my BS.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco do a high protein bread which is nice and only 10 carbs per slice. I find that it doesn’t affect my BS.

Thanks.

Hovis do a lower carb loaf. I bought one the other day. But am not sure how low carb it is.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

Hovis do a lower carb loaf. I bought one the other day. But am not sure how low carb it is.
I think it’s about the same - I have had it before but prefer the Tesco one particularly when toasted.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I see what you mean. I do find I can’t drink tea without some form of sweetner. Just a little is okay. But none makes the cuppa unacceptable. But I don’t like too much sweetness either so for example I will eat weetabix without sugar as I can taste the sweetness already in it. I eat porridge with just a small amount of sweetner or add dried or stewed fruit.

I am a bit worried for our daughter as she is definitely a sugar addict but we are turning that around.

In my How Low do I Go thread I was trying to establish if I needed drastic measures or just a more minor level of adjustment, that level being a bit of an unknown. I think armed with a test meter and advice from you guys I think I should be able to find some answers.
Weetabix and porridge are high carb, even without sugar in... They may spike you. If you're into savoury, try going for eggs with bacon, tomato and cheese (maybe some high meat content sausages as well?) in the morning. In the a.m. you already have your liver dumping glucose into your system, adding a lot of carbs to it will make your morning readings that much worse. Just sayin'.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weetabix and porridge are high carb, even without sugar in... They may spike you. If you're into savoury, try going for eggs with bacon, tomato and cheese (maybe some high meat content sausages as well?) in the morning. In the a.m. you already have your liver dumping glucose into your system, adding a lot of carbs to it will make your morning readings that much worse. Just sayin'.
That reminds me of the time I used the Hay diet.

I do have to watch the amount of fat I eat, owing to having no gall bladder now. It was suggested I started a thread on it so I will a bit later on.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make low carb keto bread made from coconut flour and i just mash a defrosted strawberry and spread it on with butter and it tastes lovely . I think its my version of strawberry preserve lol .

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make low carb keto bread made from coconut flour and i just mash a defrosted strawberry and spread it on with butter and it tastes lovely . I think its my version of strawberry preserve lol .
I see. I just slow cook some frozen strawberries, add lemon, arrowroot and sweetner then eat it with brown whole meal bread, home made rice pudding or natural yoghurt. I am thinking of just eating lower carb bread now.

I have a 6 yo daughter and give it to her too instead of regular jam.

Reactions: Charis1213

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see. I just slow cook some frozen strawberries, add lemon, arrowroot and sweetner then eat it with brown whole meal bread, home made rice pudding or natural yoghurt. I am thinking of just eating lower carb bread now.
Yes and it tastes really good, and my husband has it in his yogurt , i often whip double cream up too and then whip some strawberry in that and it is really lovely , even my little grandson likes it , he especially like my melted dark chocolate and whipped cream also .

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes and it tastes really good, and my husband has it in his yogurt , i often whip double cream up too and then whip some strawberry in that and it is really lovely , even my little grandson likes it , he especially like my melted dark chocolate and whipped cream also .
Charis. I have found that it is inexpensive too and doesn’t take long to make.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just discovered that Ocado stock this https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...t-Spread/413252011?param=chia+jam&from=search

They also stock blueberry and mixed berry flavour. All of them have no added sugar, sweetened with stevia and erythritol. A tad expensive at £3.99 when you can make your own, but might be nice as a treat or gift. Apparently this keeps for two weeks in the fridge.
Thanks very much. I had been looking for something like that. Yes a tad expensive at that price. But it is there. Thanks.

And they use Chia seeds. Noted.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the bad old days before I knew better I'd put jam or marmalade into a cheese sandwich.. surprisingly tasty... so sugar free jam on a slice of cheese.. then again I'm a weirdo!

My Dad used to take cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches to work, you're not the only weirdo!

Reactions: Dmcc0 and HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the bad old days before I knew better I'd put jam or marmalade into a cheese sandwich.. surprisingly tasty... so sugar free jam on a slice of cheese.. then again I'm a weirdo!
Oh I did cheese and jam sandwiches too. Everyone thought I was wierd too . I make chia jam (ditch the carbs recipe) so will be putting it on my cheese slices now. Somehow it never occurred to me.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They seem to like mild cheese and jam on bread on the continent. For breakfast. I have tried it and it isn’t far removed from clotted cream and jam together provided the cheese is the mild stuff.

Last edited:

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mr Pot. Can you expand upon that? My thinking is that sweetener will not count in the way that sugar does?

Sweetners in that they can deliver sweetness, while reducing sugar and calorie intake because they contain little or no calories or carbohydrates and don’t affect blood glucose levels. And on that footing I am surmising that jam made with sweetener would be an improvement on jam made with sugar. Or have I got that wrong?

Hey @Listlad, I think one thing that is a "negative" for many re: sweeteners is that it can continue to stimulate that "sweet tooth" that so many people struggle with.....the more sweetened things you consume, regardless of the sweetener, make you want to come back for more.....and some people are really adversely affected by sugar substitutes...you mentioned you have a small child - I would wonder if you would really want to be feeding him or her artificial sweeteners at such an early age? I am in no way being judgmental, but maybe something to consider...

I love strawberry jam, mixed berry jam, etc. I just use my potato masher and crush the fruit, put a bit of water with it, bring to a boil and then lower the heat so it simmers off the water and you end up with beautiful jam. It takes a bit of time, so be patient. One gets to enjoy the beautiful flavor of the fruits, not the sweetener!! Oh, and yes, a dash of lemon juice really perks it up. Sometimes I will make a slurry with water and almond or coconut flour if it's looking too thin and cook that in the berries (I do that for gravy too). I store it in the fridge and it seems to set up a bit more when cooled. Cheers/L