Struggling

nadine-y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm using Levemir for over 5 years now. I've always told my doctor I think it's not working long enough, but she told me to just add up more units of it. Might be something to look into with my new doctor when I'm in England as I'm only still here in the Netherlands for like 20 days.

I never tried splitting it actually.. Maybe I should do that!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never tried splitting it actually.. Maybe I should do that!
It's quite common to split Levemir as it usually only lasts 18-20 hours depending on the dose. Some people get 24 hours from it but we are all different. Otherwise you could ask about switching to Lantus or Tresiba.

Reactions: 2 people

nadine-y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, that's just trying to sell you an optional private insurance. It's nothing to do with the NHS.

It's very sensible of you to check though. If I was moving to another country, I'd want to check and double-check everything!

Yes, you're entitled to live and work in the UK and you shouldn't have any problems. But very occasionally EU citizens do have to provide extra proof to get things like UK welfare benefits ( for example, financial help if they're not working). I work with people claiming benefits and I remember two people who did have a few problems. One was from Eastern Europe and the other was from Portugal. It's not common, but it's best to be prepared. I really don't think you'll have any problems at all, but I think it's nice to know about potential problems even if they're rare. So bring all your documents and that should make it much easier. Your English is brilliant so that'll help a lot too.

You sound like you're very organised. I hope you settle happily in the UK and that everything goes well for,your move :)

Thank you so much!

nadine-y

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite common to split Levemir as it usually only lasts 18-20 hours depending on the dose. Some people get 24 hours from it but we are all different. Otherwise you could ask about switching to Lantus or Tresiba.

sounds like a good idea. I think mine works for around 18 yes. Do you reckon I should try splitting it in every 12 hours then?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sounds like a good idea. I think mine works for around 18 yes. Do you reckon I should try splitting it in every 12 hours then?
That would be a reasonable place to start if you're confident with adjusting your doses.