Sugar free meringues

greengirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First attempt at sugar free merangues I used stevia.
Here is a link to recipe
http://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/recipe/sugar-free-meringues/
4009c2d6486af9a4214bae7f10bc5b7c.jpg

greengirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They taste a little bitter on their own and are almost hollow but once mixed with whipped double cream and strawberries it was OK and better than nothing. Will try other sweetners incase it's the stevia that's bitter.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up making sugar free meringues a good while ago - sometimes there just isn't a replacement recipe. If I make meringue now I use half sugar half sweetener. With berries and cream the carb count is about 5-7g carbs a portion- doesn't affect my bs.

A bought meringue case (individual) is about 10g carb - I find 1/4 of one crumbled into cream/yoghurt/creme fraiche with berries is enough and just a few carbs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I take my hat off to you - I admire your meringue dedication, but wouldn't have made them myself even before the Big D hit. So am very impressed. :)

And thank you @lovinglife
I just assumed meringues were horrifically high in carbs because of the sweetness, but in small portions like you have them, they could be doable on a special occasion... brilliant.

The thought of low carb ones is awesome.

Reactions: Freema

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I take my hat off to you - I admire your meringue dedication, but wouldn't have made them myself even before the Big D hit. So am very impressed. :)

I just assumed meringues were horrifically high in carbs because of the sweetness, but in small portions like you have them, they could be doable on a special occasion... brilliant.

Meringue, per se isn't too bad - astonishingly, because they're usually incredibly light. Even the "normal" Tesco mini meringues are only 4.5gr per meringue. The issue is more the per meringue, and how many are enough! Those ginagerous ones, the size of a small child's head would be more of a challenge, for sure!

Reactions: Freema

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Surprisingly they are about the best "ordinary" pudding for me I find. Most puds outside the home have flour and sugar and maybe even honey, a meringue as part of a meal as a treat I can cope with - it's the flour in puds that is the danger I think. I also do ok with a bit of cheesecake don't eat the base as long as it's a fairly plain one.

Don't do it very often I add just maybe 2-3 times a year.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes, I go for a mousse, a cheesecake (minus base, although the deli down the road does an awesome cheesecake base made from chocolate covered popcorn), or cheese, or creme brulee, or go without.

Wheat is my nemesis too.
possibly even my Arch-nemesis...

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They taste a little bitter on their own and are almost hollow but once mixed with whipped double cream and strawberries it was OK and better than nothing. Will try other sweetners incase it's the stevia that's bitter.
Try erythritol as it does not have the bitter aftertaste and little or no laxative effect either

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes, I go for a mousse, a cheesecake (minus base, although the deli down the road does an awesome cheesecake base made from chocolate covered popcorn), or cheese, or creme brulee, or go without.

Wheat is my nemesis too.
possibly even my Arch-nemesis...
M&S do an individual creme brûlée that has the sugar separate- the carb count is 12g if you use the sugar so about 6-7g if you don't- not bad for a commercial pud!